Official Round One Playoff Thread: CBJ v Pens

Official Round One Playoff Thread: CBJ v Pens

• Discussion
  • I feel so much better about the playoffs now that we won yesterday. All signs point to Werenski coming back for game 1. Gabe Carlsson has been a pleasant surprise. It's only been 2 games, but still.

I'm not sure which home game I get to work, butI just hope it's more than 1. LOL

• Good articles...thanks Ed.

Sounds like Carlsson will be sticking with the team for the start of the playoffs. Wondering if/when we will see Ryan Murray.

• good reads.  I hope we're up for it after being lost offensively for so long.

when do they have to declare rosters?

• Great fan site that showed up in my Twitter feed: https://www.1stohiobattery.com/

Breaks down the matchup vs the Pens position by position.

• Doc Emrick to call Game 1.

• Edwardson wrote:

Great fan site that showed up in my Twitter feed: https://www.1stohiobattery.com/

Yeah, the site is by thesame folks behind Eleven Warriors. Rob Mixer is contributing to 1st Ohio, as he is no longer with the CBJ. I'm not sure if he still writes for Bucknuts, but Jeff Svoboda is a contributor to 1st Ohio Battery, too. Both good dudes.
  • Edwardson wrote:

Great fan site that showed up in my Twitter feed: https://www.1stohiobattery.com/

Nice site Ed, thanks for sharing!

• Edwardson wrote:

Doc Emrick to call Game 1.

Great it will sound just like NHL 17

• I'm actually up in Ohio till Friday and pretty busy visiting family so will miss the first games. Good luck guys, since the Canes ran out of steam I am full on the Jackets wagon till next year.

Love this time of the year best playoffs in sports

• I will stick to my prediction in a previous post a few months back - Pens in 5. I hope I am wrong and we can pull this out. We need to win one of the first 2 and all 3 of our home games. I don't see us wining 2 or more at PIT.

• I wonder if part of Z's four game break was to give him a rest. I think he was really running out of steam leading up to the ASG and that break did him wonders. Hoping this break can make him more effective in the post-season.

I like how we match up defensively...even without Murray and as long as Bobs can hold it together in the playoffs it comes down to how much offense we can generate. Need Cam, Foligno, Wenny, and Saad to play to their potential while it would be nice if Hartsy can turnback the clock for last playoff run.

• Heard they were going back to the lines used during "The Streak"

Cam-Wenny-Foligno
    Jenner-Dubi-Saad
    Hartnell-Gags-Ollie (that's different)
    Calvert-Wild Bill-Andy

D Pairings
    Z and Seth
    JMFJ and Savard
    Nutti and Q (that one scares me) -- Nutti could be replaced by Carlsson

• I have no issues with the lines or pairs. Neither of the guys playing on the third line bother me too much...both are capable. Carlsson doesn't have big boy experience yet...not sure I would be ready to throw him to the wolves....or Penguins :) Would be nice to have Murray.

• Thirty minutes to game time.

• Someone just tweeted Murray not playing and Fleury in net. If true...whoa!!!

• First period was positive!

The way we finished I feel like it's pens in 5. Two months ago I would have said us in six....So there is always hope.

If our defense can hold back the pens we have a shot. However I do not think we have the offensive power to pull a close one out

• Well.....3-0 after two.....Maybe 5 games is a big stretch

• Basically played like a team of thugs. Put so much emphasis on hitting the pens that they literally let the puck coast on by. Can't skate with them, so beat em up....Smh.

Yup, gonna be a short series...5 sounds right with a lucky win at home. No chance to win the series tho

• Sooo, Flash is a Pens fan now?  That's fitting, I think it'll work out for him.

Game 1 was a lot more important to the Pens than us.  We played ok; I even thought the offense was better.  The PP was definitely better.  But we are going to haveto cash in....can't just play better...gotta score.

Werenski shoots...keep shooting, kid...keep shooting.

But we'll need Friday's game.  I look forward to it.

• I don't think we were thugs. Physical yes...thugs no. We played a fabulous first period but if we can't beat the rusty backup with the GAA over 3.00 we are in trouble.

I do question playing Carlsson and Harrington over Nutivaara who started all season and Quincey who has tons of experience.

• Amanda's brother came to play. If he was a Blue Jacket he just might be my favorite player. A lot to like about his game, his family and his background.

I disagree that they played thugish. They played playoff hockey. Down 3-0, it might have felt like the Pens were having their way but believe me, they know this first round matchup is going to be a fight and these young Jackets came to play some hockey.

They have to be tougher down around the net. That's great that Z took all those shots, but it isn't going in the net by getting through 4 yellow and black jerseys without a lot of plinko-type luck.

They have to convert on PP, get odd-man rushes and cash in and not leave Bobs hanging. It's a lot but not out of the question. It's going to take scrappy goals to beat these guys, and Bobs has to be better.

The no-call on the icing was BS, but they have to play through that. 

• Maybe thug wasn't the right word...

Just saw many times guys going for the knockout rather than playing the puck. First period it seemed to be working, having outshot the pens 16-3. They're a fast team, more finesse, so when ya miss the big hit goals go in. Being physical is one thing, but still gotta play hockey.

• DoggyII wrote:

I don't think we were thugs. Physical yes...thugs no. We played a fabulous first period but if we can't beat the rusty backup with the GAA over 3.00 we are in trouble.

I do question playing Carlssonand Harrington over Nutivaara who started all season and Quincey who has tons of experience.

Yea......i would like to truly know the thinking on Carlsson and Nutivaara.  I get during the season shaking things up when someone is slumping.....BUT duplicate what we did during the streak.....pair up the lines, replace a dman if quincey offers more experience, we need wins.

I see a different game friday, maybe with all the hitting in game one we are hoping to wear out the pens, who knows, but i would rather the hits being the puck in the back of the net.  Originally this was billed as their offense vs our better defense......not sure we can say that after monday