Reshaping the CBJ Roster - 2017 Season

Reshaping the CBJ Roster - 2017 Season

• Discussion over trades, FA signings, draft picks, etc. Some articles on the recent movements:

Jackets better with Artemi Panarin

Jackets are going for it

Jordan Schroeder

• Discussion
  • Gavrikov has a US Visa

The Blue Jackets are trying to sign Vladislav Gavrikov (No. 159) away from Russia, believing he’s ready to play in the NHL. He arrived in Columbus on Sunday for a visit.

https://www.jacketscannon.com/2017/5/3/15525024/who-is-vladislav-gavrikov-and-can-he-make-ryan-murray-expendable-in-columbus

• According to 1OB Hartsy has been cut. CBJ have around 13 Million in play money for free agency.

• Just read we are offering Ryan Murray, another roster player/pick for Matt Duchene.

Thoughts?

This post was edited by DoggyII 2 years ago

• fine with me...gotta give to get.

• Okay with Ryan? Who else? Milano? Future first rounder?

• Murray plus Jenner/1st/prospect/???

Avs get two...not three pieces though. Duchene is a 26 year old consistent 25 goal scorer who wins 60+ percent of his faceoffs and is a legit first liner. You push Dubi to the third line and this team wins alot of games.

Best option for this team to make a big jump this year.

• Gags got 3 years and $3.15 Million per. Totally not worth that much money!

• Nashville getting tougher at the expense of shitsburgh

• According to AP, Avs want Carlsson.

• karlsonn for dushene? why not keep murray and jenner instead of karlsson?

• I do think there is some cost control there...if they think Carlsson = Murray then in a salary cap era Carlsson > Murray.

• Do WE think carlson=murray? He is younger and bigger but do we see him with more upside? im not real familiar with him

• I think it is safe to say Murray will never live up to the hype of being a #2OA pick. Carlsson was a first rounder...a very late first rounder but a first rounder none the less.

Me personally...think Murray is a solid #3 d-man. He can step upand play on a top pairing if needed but he is better suited to a second pairing and can be a PP point man but there is no booming shot. He will never be a huge offensive player, he will never be overly physical but he moves the puck well, sees the ice well and gets the job done.

We don't know about Carlsson but it speaks volumes that Torts played him over Nuti and Quincey in the playoffs. He's a good sized kid with good vision and passing skills but his calling card says "shut down" d-man. My guess is the CBJ see him as a nice shut down running mate for Savard when JMFJ's contract ends.

So...very different kinds of defensemen. Neither is going to play on the top line with Z and Jones in the lineup so if both are 2nd pairing d-men, save the money to be spent elsewhere.

Besides, how long will Murray be happy playing on the third pairing? Move him now.

• Looks like Jarmo is holding out and sounds like the Avs want too much for Duchene. Porty had a piece on it in the Dispatch quoting JK -- the team is very young and they don't see the point in going for it now. i.e. - playing this out long term.

I do think Murray will get moved at some point between now and the trade deadline.

• Interesting read on Abramov and P-L D playing in the Juniors vs Minors.

Note: Dubois is NOT currently listed on the 17/18 roster but Abramov is. But PLD played center in the juniors last year and could take Wild Bill's vacated spot (picked by Vegas).

July 6 NHL.com article on PLD

• Im excited to see him play, BUT i also wonder if the jump to nhl is too much for the organization and he might spend some time in the AHL to see how he performs there?

• VA and PLD are both too young for the the AHL and only have two realistic options for next season...CBJ or back to Q.

• So its July 23rd and crickets...still no "reshaping" of the roster for the upcoming season. Panarin and Saad swap but that's it. Couple of fourth line guys picked up (Motte and Schroeder) and Korpi looks like he gets first dibs on being the full time backup.

Still wondering what Jarmo will do with all that cap space.

• DoggyII said... (original post)

So its July 23rd and crickets...still no "reshaping" of the roster for the upcoming season. Panarin and Saad swap but that's it. Couple of fourth line guys picked up (Motte and Schroeder) and Korpi looks like he gets first dibs on being the full time backup.

Still wondering what Jarmo will do with all that cap space.

Agree. I would check Twitter and my newsfeed pretty regularly looking for news but stopped "holding my breath" so to speak. I think inside the walls of the CBJ offices, they realize how young the team is and have a 2-3 year horizon as their target. Jarmo is likely checking out deals, but won't gut the players on his "Plan A" to get there.

• SOOOOOO is the forum NOT going anywhere?

• It appears it is hanging around. Barry was going to merge us with the Indians and Cavs as one "Other Ohio Sports" board because of limitations but apparently that is no longer the case.

• Avalanche GM Joe Sakic: Matt Duchene trade ta

Matt Duchene is expected to attend training camp with the Avalanche, though he remains on the trade block.

Read more

Just throwing this out there. Nothing new but the Avs and their stubborn GM (who is irritating fans) were back in the news last week.

• read where anderson said he wouldnt report to camp without a contract, opinions?

• My opinion is he is only hurting himself. I am sure Jarmo and Torts want him in the building this Thursday but I also think they feel they have plenty of up and comers hungry for a roster spot.

As for the specific negotiations...have no idea what he is asking for or what the team is offering. As an RFA with no arbitration rights holding out is his only leverage.

UnionandBlue cited a tweet suggesting that if the CBJ don't get a deal done with Andy, they could use him in a trade package to Colorado for Duchene...perhaps Murray, Andy and a first rounder. That actually doesn't sound all that crazy to me. They also suggest the possibility of being sent to the NHL's cellar might make Andy more flexible in his demands to stay in Columbus.