Big Ten Cancels Fall Football (Maybe, Possibly)

Big Ten Cancels Fall Football (Maybe, Possibly)

• Just saw some breaking news. Waiting for a reliable tweet or something.

• Discussion
  • LumpyCotton said... (original post)Not a very good way to spend your birthday my friend.Ugh.

Yeah, this might be the suckiest birthday ever. Good thing I celebrated it on Saturday with booze.

• Let's hope there will still be an NFL season that amounts to something at least about 8 games.

• Yet the reds are talking about having actual live fans next month.

• Yeah, not surprising, figured it would happen. Professionals making a lot of money is justifiable with the public zeitgeist (which I agree with for what its worth), college kids is far more touchy.

I thought Trevor Lawrence made some good points, who else gets tested at least weekly, probably more. Plus the increased pressure to not make bad public exposure decisions. I've tried to make this point with the pro's as well. No one else has these type of precautions at their jobs.

But I don't blame them, makes sense. Feel a bit bad for some of the kids actually, but at least they'll have another year of eligibility and hopefully still free tuition i assume. Maybe get a year of grad school paid for.

• Guess it was a 12-2 vote with Iowa and Nebraska wanting to still play it in the fall. Pac 12 supposed to cancel tomorrow as well.

• Twitter is blowing up with news that this report is not confirmed...Big Ten AD came out in the last hour and called BS. Not sure why they would cancel now....they have time to let things play out over the next month.

• When these guys finally step forward and answer questions rather than hiding behind anonymous leaks like they have been the last few days, they need to address a few obvious points:

1. What's changed between announcing the new schedule less than a week ago and now?

2. If it's too unsafe for football, a (mostly) outdoor activity where you're exclusively around others who are constantly being tested, why are the schools opening up at all?

3. Why is necessary to make any decisions now, before we've even seen how things are progressing with practices and the reopening of classes?

I honestly don't think there's going to be college football anywhere this season because keeping the virus off campuses is not going to happen, but I see no harm in waiting. Sure, some players will get infected, but are they at higher risk from football than from going to class and living in a dorm? I don't see how.

Just weird on the Big Ten's part.

• dawgwolfjr said... (original post)Yet the reds are talking about having actual live fans next month.

That's more wishful thinking then anything.

• dawgwolfjr said... (original post)Guess it was a 12-2 vote with Iowa and Nebraska wanting to still play it in the fall. Pac 12 supposed to cancel tomorrow as well.

https://twitter.com/TribuneDanny/status/1292195441401122821 Currently pinned on his timeline. SEC also a potential suitor for the leftover teams per hi current most recent tweet.

• University of Michigan finally ends 8 year losing streak to OSU

• Sixnineteen2016 said... (original post)https://twitter.com/TribuneDanny/status/1292195441401122821 Currently pinned on his timeline. SEC also a potential suitor for the leftover t...

I would guess the SEC would jump at the chance to get tese 4 in their conference for a year, if nothing more than to show how strong most of their members are week in and week out.

Of the two i think OSU and PennSt. would fare the best. The other two are too unpredictable. Nebraska and Michigan to the west, OSU and Penn St. to the east?

• Reads and sounds like a fluid situation.

The education, the recreation, and the transformation are manifesting right before our ears, eyes and minds.

University Presidents are those voting, if I am correct, and a few are physicians, which altogether plus so many other aspects of their roles which while heavily benefited from and connected to CFB, a university is more than the sum of its parts, imo.

I think the SEC will hold their own, and the possibility of teams going to other conferences is strikingly plausible, if not deniable.

• Ohio St President supposedly voted no to big ten season, if true, why would she then say yes to playing SEC. come on now. Lol

• zoso197 said... (original post)That's more wishful thinking then anything.

Yep. I mean, seriously, who would want to come and see them play?

• Come October and November my prediction is they'll be lots of second guessing backlash to anyone who pulled the plug in the summer.
    Things will feel much different in a couple months. Besides, these kids are most likely the safest they're ever gonna be in their respective college monitored enviorments.

• cousinosgerbil said... (original post)Come October and November my prediction is they'll be lots of second guessing backlash to anyone who pulled the plug in the summer. Thin...

I'm not sure what you think is going to change in the next two months that would justify a college sports season. Unless the virus gets completely under control or there are vaccines available, neither of which is likely to happen in 6-8 weeks, nothing will be any different.

• PlaysWithSwagger said... (original post)When these guys finally step forward and answer questions rather than hiding behind anonymous leaks like they have been the last few days, ...

Yeah, I have the same questions. Why the sudden about face? Again, I never thought there would be a college season anyway, but why is there a crisis about it right now?

They were discussing this on ESPN this morning. It doesn't sound like the reporters are getting straight answers. It could be the players uniting and demanding certain things as in the Pac-12. I think that has something to do with it. Other than that, I can't think of anything that's really changed that would suddenly require emergency meetings.

This post was edited by brett 1 month ago

• Wow.

Maybe it was a secret vote behind Zoom doors.

And all understood the discussion never took place.

Seriously it is hard to tell this from that in this present distress.

• Sixnineteen2016 said... (original post)https://twitter.com/TribuneDanny/status/1292195441401122821 Currently pinned on his timeline. SEC also a potential suitor for the leftover t...

From where I see things this is the first step to the NFL of College football. Not that I care just an observation.

OSU gonna get there NFL team on the field and that loot!

• Ouch. I expected this.

• brett said... (original post)I'm not sure what you think is going to change in the next two months that would justify a college sports season. Unless the virus gets completely und...

Just dont believe these guys are at a HIGHER risk in a controlled environment w medical personnel etc, daily testing. Actually I think they benefit from it. From where I am all college age kids are partying and running around as if theres no restrictions. Beach ,grocery, out of state plates...big groups drunk off their ****, protesting, semi secret parties everywhere (I have 3 college age kids)...and football practice is unsafe? Stop it.
    Ultimately my prediction was the coming backlash as the temperature cools down and the fall settles in, and a couple more months of nobody knowing anything in regards to if theres even any progress on all this that Yes, there will be the media second guessing the decisions made in August. I guess I could make the same argument reverse...what changes in 2 months? What changes in a year? Vaccine? Two years? Were just gonna quit everything we enjoy but allow certain groups and businesses to flourish. Someones gonna magically proclaim us officially safe to resume activities with a robe and gavel? We can argue every angle to this but I'm sensing no one knows anything besides financial/political interests. All respect to ur original reply...go orange helmets!
  • The country needs sports . These young people aren’t at any higher risk by playing them .