Cabot: Browns willing to let LB Joe Schobert walk in free agency

Cabot: Browns willing to let LB Joe Schobert walk in free agency

• Discussion
  • Wonderful now we'll only need three LBs.

• Guy isn’t a top player. Good move letting him walk. 34th best LB wants top 10 money. Peace out!

• Shobert is a good, but not great, linebacker.

The money has to be right for him to be resigned.

• :::Checks calendar::: Yeah, March is coming up quickly.

I would pay Schobert slightly more than Kirksey and I would let Taylor go.

This post was edited by Ole1Sock 7 months ago

• People that say “Schobert isn’t worth it” are the same people saying “I can’t believe we traded Ogbah”

It’s so Cleveland it hurts

• Bad idea

• Source = his agent

• This team really knows how to instill loyalty and appreciation for effort. All the guy does is make plays and keeps him mouth shut. No wonder there's no hurry to resign him...he doesn't fit the Brown's "mold" of playing dumb football and shooting off his trap.

• Finish the season healthy and go from there.

They will make an offer. I’d love to see him come back.

• I had a feeling Dorsey wouldn't pay him. Feels like another Zeitler/Corbett situation.

Browns should have around 85 mill in cap space after making some obvious cuts. Redoing some deals with Richardon & Vernon could increase that number.

Tough pill to swallow but lets see where Dorsey puts that money.

• Yea, why would you want a really good and smart player who is coming into his prime on the team?

High character and quality human beings are so annoying.

• That seems like a dumby move.

• This would be a horrible decision. Schobert is an excellent player and doesn’t rock the boat.

• They will sign him.

• bluegrassdawg84 said... (original post) This would be a horrible decision. Schobert is an excellent player and doesn’t rock the boat.

Definitely a team kind of guy, but IMO, he's far from excellent.

At best, he's a rotational or depth player who happens to be starting and wants top 10 dollars. Forget it.

• He isn’t very good verse the run is the problem.

• It all depends on who we can replace him with. Last year players wanted to come here and play with an exciting team on the rise with Baker Mayfield and tons of cap room. Our GM did a great job making bad decisions and now we are looking like the same ol' dysfunctional Browns again. Don't think we are a preferred destination spot anymore.

• CLErocks said... (original post) Definitely a team kind of guy, but IMO, he's far from excellent. At best, he's a rotational or depth player who happens to be starting a...

He would probably start for at least 25-30 other teams

• CLErocks said... (original post) Definitely a team kind of guy, but IMO, he's far from excellent. At best, he's a rotational or depth player who happens to be starting a...

Rotational or depth player? Are you high? I don’t think he’s a top 10 LBer level player, but rotational or depth? C’mon man!

• Schobert is an intelligent, capable, and high effort player. A tackle machine that recognizes plays quickly and closes. The exact kind of linebacker Bill Belichick and his coaching staff could take and turn into a star and perennial Pro Bowler ...We don't have that kind of coaching here and our defensive scheme is a mess. Doesn't matter who is manning the middle.

SHOULD we re-sign him? -- Yes. But for the right price. A FAIR price.

WILL we re-sign him? -- I think some other team (like the Patriots) is going to come out of the woodwork and scoop him up at a price that Dorsey feels is out of our range. And it might very well be a fair price. But not the price Dorsey is willing to pay. I don't think he values Joe Schobert the same way that others do.

• Not my kind of linebacker. Browns need a zach thomas at mlb that kills on impact.

• The key is what they do if they decide not to pay Schobert. If the idea is to move Takitaki into the starting lineup, I don't know if he's ready for that (and I'm not sure if he ever will be), but it's also the case that Schobert did nothing as a rookie that indicated he'd eventually develop into a pretty good player.

But they need to find some way to spend their money before they have to start paying their young stars.

• IF the Browns let Schobert walk in FA it would be a terrible move. This is the type of thing that hurts a team.

This post was edited by DropkickPride 7 months ago

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) :::Checks calendar::: Yeah, March is coming up quickly.I would pay Schobert slightly more than Kirksey and I would let Taylor go.

great take!

• salsendardo said... (original post) Source = his agent

This. They're shaking the tree to see if something will fall out.