Cabot: Kitchens talks to Rashard Higgins

Cabot: Kitchens talks to Rashard Higgins

• All that I know is that I listened to Freddie’s words at his presser today. Nothing about depth chart. Freddie said he loves him and invited him over for Thanksgiving dinner. While there are a lot of innuendos here, Freddie seemed to put them to rest today. My guess? There are bigger systemic problems than Higgins.

• marktroy said... (original post) Yeah its got nothing to do with our #1 wr being drawing double coverage most every play. Hey Hodge had that one amazing play remember?These are ou...

Last time I checked TD's help win games more then some amazing play. And again, Higgins should be playing more then Hodges and Ratley. Higgins gives the Browns offense more of a punch then Ratley or Hodges. There is no reason he should not be on the field in place of these two.

• It would appear so—to his fans’ eye.

Yet when he plays he doesnt produce.

• marktroy said... (original post) It would appear so—to his fans’ eye.Yet when he plays he doesnt produce.

Except against Buffalo.

• marktroy said... (original post) Because in almost 4 years he averages about 20 catches, 260 yards, and 2 TDs per year? To me that just as easily proves the negatives of his scout...

For a guy who prides himself on Twains quote, “Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” you sure uncorked a humdinger here.

Averaging his stats like that ain't Kosher.

Higgins was a fifth round pick with limited playing time as a rookie who did exactly what you want a developmental player to do: improved every year.

2016: 12 targets / 77 yards

2017: 50 targets / 312 yards

2018: 55 targets / 572 yards

That's called player development and is a good thing.

Also not something to take for granted or just assume the next guy can do the same.

• Hot hot hot Story by Mary frickin' Kay - Freddie seen talking to Higgy on the practice field.

• September241979 said... (original post) For a guy who prides himself on Twains quote, “Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illuminat...

At least Ive averaged all his years. Youve ignored 2019 altogether.

You say hes got this great chemistry with Baker, and cite 2018. What about this year? Is it progressing when year 4?reverts back to year 1?

In fact, these two years with Baker are close to his career averages I cited. How are career stats not indicative of who a guy is?

• marktroy said... (original post) At least Ive averaged all his years. Youve ignored 2019 altogether. You say hes got this great chemistry with Baker, and cite 2018. What about thi...

Dude, I "ignored" 2019 because that's what we're discussing!

We're talking about why he's been de facto benched / not used this year and if that's such a great decision...or if Higgins could've contributed more if only Freddie had allowed him.

I would thunk that was crystal.

• XUDawg said... (original post) Ok. Other than a pedantic criticism of my post, what does that have to do with him getting snaps over Higgins?It's not eighth grade football, w...

I award you 100 points for your correct use of the word "pedantic" -- always one of my favorites. As for the topic...I still think there's more going on here than simply money or that report about the Seattle game. Just one more red flag for this head coach. And if I'm wrong about this and it turns out Higgins is the culprit, I'll own it.

• TomServo said... (original post) Whether he did it or not is NOT the story. The reason he did it is much more relevant, and NOBODY knows the answer to that question. Hence, zero i...

It doesnt MATTER what Higgins "reasons" were.

You don't do that.

Ever.

Not if you want to keep your job.

Imagine your boss walking in and telling you to do something and you respond, "Nah, I'm good."

I don't care if you're disgruntled for not getting the promotion.

Or salty you had to work weekends and another guy didn't.

I don't care if you don't feel well.

You get your **** up, and do what you were asked like its your job.

Cause it is.

Higgins got a little sniff of success last year and it must have went to his head.

It's obvious he's had an attitude problem or else he'd be #3 right now.

This should have been sorted out long ago, but here we are 3 games left and it hasn't been.

Or maybe it just has... who knows.

But too little too late if you ask me.

Another example of team disfunction in 2019.

• September241979 said... (original post) Dude, I "ignored" 2019 because that's what we're discussing!We're talking about why he's been de facto benche...

No its not crystal. At all. They threw to him last year because they didnt have a second receiver. Now we have two and he cant get onto the field.

Its like handing the ball to Hillis cause thats all you can do on offense, or throwing to Pryor for 1000 yards because hes ur only receiver. neither of those guys could do that with other options on the field.

You cant just dismiss a whole year just because we have legit players at his position. He has four catches in 178 plays.

Its either talent or attitude. Or both. Freddie likes him but hes not dynamic enough to be thrown the ball.

• Chopper9 said... (original post) It doesnt MATTER what Higgins "reasons" were.You don't do that.Ever. Not if you want to keep your job. Imagine your boss walking in ...

Can a 3rd receiver be a diva?

Cause I agree with you. Hes one more immature guy, who thinks hes earned a pass for very moderate numbers last year.

• BLUEDREAM said... (original post) I don’t really know what the problem is but what I do know is Freddie seems to have a lot of problems with his players. Usually when some version ...

But how when everyone thinks Fred is a big "players coach" and the inmates run the asylum here?

• genevabuck said... (original post) All that I know is that I listened to Freddie’s words at his presser today. Nothing about depth chart. Freddie said he loves him and invited him ...

Did he also invite him to come over his house and ____ his sister?

• XUDawg said... (original post) What they've done to this guy is a shame. Hodge doesn't do anything right on the football field, but there he is, snap after snap. Higgins ...

Except this Season, in limited reps, he isn't catching the ball.

I don't know if it's because his head isn't in it, due to being in the dog-house, or what.

They wanted him to come in vs. Seattle, he refused. Since then, it's been an issue. Which he compounds by just not being very good when he's out there.

That's a shame, because I'm huge on Higgins. Love the guy, said he's the best 15-25 Yard Side Line guy in the League last year, and was expecting a lot out of him with the focus on OBJ and Landry, plenty of room to operate, get space and YAC it up.

He's failing. He's not failing because of Talent. It needs fixed.

• Browns34 said... (original post) He did in Buffalo for the win

And that's been it.

Though to be fair he extended/slid for an attempt in the EZ that Baker just couldn't fit over the Defender that might have been a great play.

I had hoped that TD in Buffalo would wake him up, energize him, bring the Old Higgy back. It didn't.

• TomServo said... (original post) Well, the answer to that is simple. We had only a #1 WR last year, no #2. Higgins was the de facto #2 WR. This year we have OBJ and Landry, so the ...

Hard for WR 3, 4 or 5 to 'light it up' when WR 1 and WR 2 are BOTH on pace for 1K Yardage.

Then, as stated, adding Hunt.

I expected the Higgy Production to fade, but not the Higgy Efficiency and the Higgy Consistency. Which would be wonderful to have this Year.

Higgy got into his own head, and he's in a funk. I'm not bailing on the guy... but this train wreck of a Season is on him. He could have been consistent, and in that consistency provided us with more Weapons than can be covered. As he was that Play against Buffalo, which was sorely needed. THAT is what makes this Offense, literally the Greatest Show on Turf... just have to much Talent to Cover. It's that simple, really... that's the Offense. "To Much Talent To Cover"... problem was Higgy got hurt, Njoku got hurt, Hunt was Suspended... and suddenly we had JUST enough Talent to consistently cover. Double OBJ, Double Landry, or Safety Roll over them... and forget about the other guys, because they didn't matter (outside of Chubb).

When it's Landry, OBJ, Higgins, Njoku, Chubb and Hunt... and Higgins doesn't have his head up his **** and everyone is Healthy... you can't even fit them all on the field together without taking Baker off the field. That's a problem for Defenses... one that Defenses haven't had to solve this Season because it hasn't happened yet. THAT was the thing that was going to have us putting up 40 a Game... simply that we had to many Targets of Ability to Cover... like the Winning Play in Buffalo.

Without that... it doesn't work nearly as well. Of course one might retort 'Do Not Design Offenses That Require 5+ Killers To Effectively Run', but that's another matter.

We need Njoku and Higgins, or some one in their place PRODUCING, to 'Next Level' this Offense. It's just how it's designed. The 'Other Guys' kill you enough that you die by them, or you take your chances playing straight up with OBJ and Landry. Pick your poison, one or the other. Because you can't cover them all. Then, injuries and funk... they cover themselves. Offense becomes less explosive.

• XUDawg said... (original post) Ok. Other than a pedantic criticism of my post, what does that have to do with him getting snaps over Higgins?It's not eighth grade football, where ...

Lol. You know Higgins is a hard worker?

Sweet, didnt know you had access to the facility.