Can/will we keep Hunt?

Can/will we keep Hunt?

• Not sure what kind of $ he will be looking for but the guy is a 2017 NFL rushing leader and very capable.
    Not just a question of "Can we pay him what he may want?" but I would guess besides that aspect, he might want to be somewhere where he can be the man, not split time with the current NFL leading rusher.

I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But I'm not sure we can keep him here.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have them both but just not sure if that's gonna realistically happen.

• Discussion
  • He’s an RFA so we will apply a first round tender on him and at least keep him thru next season

• shiblet80 said... (original post) He’s an RFA so we will apply a first round tender on him and at least keep him thru next season

I see two reasonable directions:

1. Give him first round tender. He'll be here for another year as teams would have to surrender a first round pick and some kind of expensive multi-year contract for Hunt. That would be unlikely, though not impossible (Browns could still match).

2. Give him second round tender. Makes Hunt a more likely trade target. Maybe Dorsey would rather have the extra second round pick plus extra cap space. Minor bonus, if he keeps Hunt at first round tender, Hunt will make so much more than Chubb. If Hunt still ends up staying, second round tender cost the Browns less and keeps Chubb/Hunt closer in salaries.

• He’s an RFA, isn’t he?

We can tender him where we want, 1st or 2nd rd. First rd tender in 2018 is $4.1 million, 2nd rd was $2.9. This number will increase by 5-10% for 2019.

Copied from another thread. Yes, we’re keeping him if we want to.

He can sign the tender and be a UFA in 2021, of course he risks a serious injury and has no future cash guaranteed.

If a team wants to sign him to a better deal then we can match that contract or take the pick.

I’d rather have him for at least one more season, or try to extend a deal to 3 years.

This post was edited by JerrySherk 1 month ago

• Whatever they do make sure he does not get traded to sh*tsburgh. Please.

• Browns34 said... (original post) Whatever they do make sure he does not get traded to sh*tsburgh. Please.

Pittspuke doesn’t have a 2nd rd pick but they would love to have Hunt. Wouldn’t put it past them to sign him if we go with a 2nd rd tender.

• JerrySherk said... (original post) Pittspuke doesn’t have a 2nd rd pick but they would love to have Hunt. Wouldn’t put it past them to sign him if we go with a 2nd rd tender.

OK, so a bit of a safety net, So your saying Dorsey would have to go into full stupid mode if this happened. I don't keep up with all the contract details. I just don't think I could take having Hunt run all over us twice a year.

This post was edited by Browns34 1 month ago

• September241979 said... (original post) I see two reasonable directions:1. Give him first round tender. He'll be here for another year as teams would have to surrender a firs...

It maybe too early, but if there was one player who has earned an extension, it Chubb. He is on 4 yr deal I believe as a 2nd rounder, but in my mind, there isn’t a player on the Browns who excemplifies being a professional football player more than him.

Sign them both if at all possible. I would think Hunt would like staying in Cleveland area? Not sure on that.

Go Browns.... Go Bison...

• fargodawg_Scout said... (original post) It maybe too early, but if there was one player who has earned an extension, it Chubb. He is on 4 yr deal I believe as a 2nd rounder, but i...

Chubb can't be extended until after his third season.

You could argue that this makes this off-season the perfect time to spend more on Hunt, or at least give him the first round tender, and squeeze one more year out of him.

The only argument against is that this is a team that still has plenty of holes yet only the regular complement of 1st and 2nd round picks.

Freddie has done a shite job of using Chubb/Hunt together. We thought he'd be great at it. Filled with cleverness. Not.

So if Freddie is retained, perhaps it's best to get that second round pick and some extra money and plow it into the OL, DL, and DB.

• Hunt maybe better than Chubb. Much better pash catcher and has won a rushing title.

• Keep Chunt.

No matter what.

• Getting rid of playmaking talents like Hunt and OBJ because our head coach doesn’t utilize them properly makes zero logical sense.

When you have a drunk, mentally-impaired man struggling to drive your Lamborghini, you don’t trade the Lambo for a Kia to keep the moronic driver on the road.

• bluedevilbrowns said... (original post) Getting rid of playmaking talents like Hunt and OBJ because our head coach doesn’t utilize them properly makes zero logical sense.When you ...

Do you go for a different driver or go for rehab and driving lessons?

• Nasdaq said... (original post) Keep Chunt.No matter what.

Yep. I think they will.

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) Do you go for a different driver or go for rehab and driving lessons?

user generated

• Yes - 3 year deal, around devonta freeman $
    Bank on it

• Browns34 said... (original post) OK, so a bit of a safety net, So your saying Dorsey would have to go into full stupid mode if this happened. I don't keep up with all the con...

Dorsey would never let that happen, just saying the Stools could sign him to a large contract so we match, possibly create discord with Chubb (doubt it but you never know), and eat up our cap. They know we would have to match

Wouldn’t surprise me if he gets a 1st rd tender or gets a deal from us and doesn’t get tendered at all.

This post was edited by JerrySherk 1 month ago

• bringbackjohnny said... (original post) Hunt maybe better than Chubb. Much better pash catcher and has won a rushing title.

Chubb is in the hunt for a rushing title this year and he catches the ball pretty darned well himself.

• JackTBurton said... (original post) Yes - 3 year deal, around devonta freeman $Bank on it

He just bought his mother a house in Amherst, and he's been active in the Cleveland community.

From all accounts, he seems to be happy here.

It would be stupid/Brownsian to let one of their best players go.

• Yes. They will resign him.

• Well since Hunt is an RFA there is absolutely no reason we can't bring him back.

He claims he loves playing here at home ( insert all the but they all say that crap here)

The only real concern is someone going to be willing to Pay him more and give up the first round pick

Obviously not many high slotted teams will be likely but maybe a late first round team might be willing...Cough Pats Cough

But we still have the right to match and with the poison pill eliminated we should be able to easily match

• I didnt realize he was a RFA. I was basing my thoughts on the 1 year deal he signed here.

• fargodawg_Scout said... (original post) It maybe too early, but if there was one player who has earned an extension, it Chubb. He is on 4 yr deal I believe as a 2nd rounder, but i...

Couldn't agree more with everything!

• My feeling is they'll sign him to a decent contract without even needing to tender him. Hunt seems to really be relieved to have his career back and playing for his childhood team. I don't think it's a coincidence the Browns twitter has posted videos of him after games of late and he's been interviewed by Nathan Zegura after those video posts by him as well. He's happy here and when you've had your career taken away and you get it back, sometimes comfort goes farther than being the guy somewhere else or making a huge amount.

• I could see a 2 round tender then a sign a trade for him. I really don't think we would ever see a 1st rounder in a trade.

Jack -- Can we really pay him around 8 mil a year for the next few years. Then what is Chubb gonna get when he leads the league in rushing the next two years?

• shiblet80 said... (original post) He’s an RFA so we will apply a first round tender on him and at least keep him thru next season

I agree with this. I wanna see one more season of good behavior before I'm ready to give him big money for a multi-year contract. At the same time, I don't want to lose him for just a 2nd rounder, so I think he's worth the 1st round tender.