Chances of landing McCarthy

Chances of landing McCarthy

• McCarthy will have multiple suitors come this off-season. There just aren’t many guys with his credentials throwing their hat back into the ring. Assuming the Browns are interested, one has to wonder if the other teams looking for a HC in 2020 might be just as, if not more, appealing.

There are a few teams that concern me. The Panthers, Cowboys and Falcons and Giants. I don’t think the Redskins will be anywhere near as attractive as Cleveland in the near future. Similar ownership and less talent.

Falcons: still have a FQB and talent. Great weather. Not great but solid organization.

Cowboys: I’m not sure Jerrah would be McCarthy’s cup of tea but they are talented with a good QB situation.

Panthers: solid organization but the jury is still out on this new owner. Great weather town. QB situation up in the air.

Giants: this one is intriguing to me. They were supposed to be awful and rebuilding but they ended up possibly finding their QB of the future and there’s no immediate expectation to win so less pressure out of the gate. Great organization.

The Browns have struggled to land top notch coaching and they have a chance to finally do it. But I do fear they are up against serious competition.

If I’ve forgotten any feel free to add.

• Discussion
  • As noted football commentator Dean Wormer would say, zero point zero.

• I don't think McCarthy's offense fits Baker Mayfield.

We need a McVay/Shanahan/Stefanski type of offense.

• There is no pressure to win in New York?

A - That's just wrong, all the time, as it's New York
    B - They drafted Barkley to win now. You can't waste his talent why you let Daniel Jones develop for the next 2 or 3 years. Daniel Jones better be ready to be a FQB or this was all for naught. Not to mention they are still currently in line for the #2 overall pick. Let's say Bengals go Burrow and Giants go Young.

You're telling me that the Giants will just sit back and be patient with Barkley, Jones, and Young? No chance. You will absolutely have expectations.

I also think "great" organization is a little bit of hyperbole.

I do like that you think Atlanta has nice weather in a dome... Unless you think McCarthy is just taking that job because he doesn't want to live in the snow again.

• I think much of it comes down to McCarthy's relationship with Dorsey, Wolf, and Highsmith.

It really all starts from there.

• N33d4Speed said... (original post) I don't think McCarthy's offense fits Baker Mayfield. We need a McVay/Shanahan/Stefanski type of offense.

You may be right, but McCarthy heard the criticisms loud and clear. He's a sharp dude. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to retool his offensive mindset. Getting canned and sitting a year can give you perspective. Perhaps he even brings in somebody to help with that.

• ohiosundevils said... (original post) There is no pressure to win in New York?A - That's just wrong, all the time, as it's New YorkB - They drafted Barkley to win now. Y...

There aren't many great NFL franchises, but the Giants are one of them. It's a storied franchise with multiple championships, a great owner and historically operate sensibly and avoid kneejerk reactions. I don't know what else you're looking for. They stood by Coughlin for years when everybody was calling for his head. Then they won a couple rings.

A coach with McCarthy's cache can be fairly certain his head won't be on a platter after year one.

Oh, and there is life to live outside of the dome.

This post was edited by Byscuit 1 month ago

• Byscuit said... (original post) You may be right, but McCarthy heard the criticisms loud and clear. He's a sharp dude. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him ...

I'm not to sure about that. There has been some former players that would say he was kinda stuck in his ways.

Who knows though maybe the year off did teach him something.

• N33d4Speed said... (original post) I don't think McCarthy's offense fits Baker Mayfield. We need a McVay/Shanahan/Stefanski type of offense.

I don’t think McCarthy’s offense fits anybody, including Aaron Rodgers.

• Byscuit said... (original post) There aren't many great NFL franchises, but the Giants are one of them. It's a storied franchise with multiple championships, a great own...

Although driving in ATL in the winter, due to lack of resources, can be dicey. 285 is a nightmare in rainy/icy conditions. I live in Columbus but have friends in ATL. (270 isn't much better either in Cbus).

Giants could be a fit.

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 1 month ago

• We are having threads about the Browns hopes of winning “the Mike freaking Mccarthy sweepstakes”. Things have gotten BLEAK.

Mccarthy coached 1 of the best QBs of all time for a decade, with 1 of the best organizations in the league and made it to 1 Super Bowl. Expecting him to save a struggling young QB (who is significantly less gifted than AR12) with the WORST organization in the NFL is a tall tall task.

• N33d4Speed said... (original post) I'm not to sure about that. There has been some former players that would say he was kinda stuck in his ways. Who knows though maybe the ye...

I get their are questions surrounding the offensive and the current influx of modernized concepts, but "his ways" put the Packers in the playoffs 8 straight years and led the NFL in offense multiple years until Rodgers got hurt... Is there any Coach in the NFL, outside of Bellichick, with a more proven offensive philosophy?

- I think if anything, looking at SF, BAL, ARI (to a degree), etc. it is beginning to show that their is more than just one offensive style that can be effective in the league, but in order to do so it takes commitment top to bottom and the right personnel to make it work.

The question I think should be asked (by Dorsey and FO), is how does he plan to develop Baker from a rough and brash young player to polished franchise QB, while at the same time building an offensive philosophy around the current two headed monster at RB with top skill at WR... ??

I think most all other questions can be answered by looking at his body of work. After all he has worked successfully with both young and experienced QBs, and he was worked successfully with top RBs as well. Young teams and veterans. etc etc. And McCarthy, Dorsey, Wolf, and Highsmith all know each other and know people who know each other... There is not much "guessing" involved in this one.

This post was edited by DropkickPride 1 month ago

• DropkickPride said... (original post) I get their are questions surrounding the offensive and the current influx of modernized concepts, but "his ways" put the Packers i...

He missed the playoffs in 2016. He went 7-9 in 2017. He went 6-10 last season with a healthy Aaron Rodgers and REFUSED to give Aaron Jones the ball. As an Aaron Jones fantasy owner, it was the most frustrating in the world when it was OBVIOUS that Jones was a star RB, and Mccarthy just refused to give him the ball.

Could he work out with the Browns? Maybe. But to pretend there is no “guessing” with a coach who has an under .500 record over his last 3 seasons coached with Aaron Rodgers at QB is a joke. There is a reason he was fired in GB and not hired last offseason. It is NOT because he is a “Sure thing”.

• The question isn’t whether or not McCarthy is a good fit for Cleveland, but whether Cleveland is a fit for McCarthy. It’s a no-brainer for Cleveland, not necessarily for him. A guy like him will have options.

Getting caught up in the particulars offensive philosophies and personnel fits are irrelevant bits of minutiae. This team needs a leader. Structure. Discipline. Organization. The management infrastructure is solid enough. Not it needs infrastructure from the HC down. It’s just not there right now.

• OpiesGo said... (original post) He missed the playoffs in 2016. He went 7-9 in 2017. He went 6-10 last season with a healthy Aaron Rodgers and REFUSED to give Aaron Jones the ball...

2016 GB was 10-6, 1st in NFC North, but Lost to Atlanta Falcons in NFC Championship Game...

2017, Rodgers BROKE his collar bone, had surgery, and only played 7 games in the season... Hundley played who was worse than Kizer! Eek. LOL. plus FO Power Struggle was getting going... . Lots of info out there about it all... plus other drama around Rodgers.

under .500 in last 3 years... cherry picking your stats a bit. He was fired in GB. Read up on the power struggle in the FO. Its an interesting read.

Yes, Id like to see McCarthy, if the future Browns HC, run the ball. Like we all want the HC to do regardless of who it is.

oh, and NO hc hire is a sure thing, but you can reduce the risk of failure and increase the odds of success.

• Hopefully 0.

• Byscuit said... (original post) McCarthy will have multiple suitors come this off-season. There just aren’t many guys with his credentials throwing their hat back into the ring. A...

......and you miss the obvious point.

The Browns are not hiring a head coach
  • Labradoodle said... (original post) I don’t think McCarthy’s offense fits anybody, including Aaron Rodgers.

Damn, it must be tough to make the playoffs 8 straight years with a defunct offense.
  • DropkickPride said... (original post) I get their are questions surrounding the offensive and the current influx of modernized concepts, but "his ways" put the Packers i...

McCarthy had a great run. I get why that is attractive.

Personally though it just all comes down to Baker Mayfield for me. Baker is not good enough to do it on his own and if McCarthy is as hard headed as advertised then how in hell is this going to work? We've already seen what happens when Baker is forced to run something he's not comfortable in.

I don't trust McCarthy when it comes to building around Chubb/Hunt. Our O-line is also quite weak and Packers relied heavily on there good tackles.

• DropkickPride said... (original post) 2016 GB was 10-6, 1st in NFC North, but Lost to Atlanta Falcons in NFC Championship Game... 2017, Rodgers BROKE his collar bone, had surgery, ...

You are correct 2016 ,they won their last 6 games to make the playoffs, I was mistaken. With the benefit of hindsight maybe we shouldv'e hired McCarthy. Seems unlikely it couldve gone worse than bumbling Freddie this season. I just have seen too many breakdowns of Mccarthys offense making it much harder on the QB than someone like Mcvay or Shannahan or even Stefanski to get excited about him.

• Why???

• N33d4Speed said... (original post) McCarthy had a great run. I get why that is attractive.Personally though it just all comes down to Baker Mayfield for me. Baker is not good enou...

Absolutely agree about (any) hard headed coach that cant be flexible and adapt to do what is right for the team. That is a deal breaker for me.

Developing the running game is one of my big questions too.... With Chubb and Hunt, I strongly want an offensive designed to use a two headed monster. I think this could be a huge advantage for the Browns....

With the OL, that is one thing that is a bright spot I think for McCarthy, given that Campen is our OLc and was his OLc as well. That provides some stability at that position unit, and allows the team to build in this area. Because as we all know - the OL needs some serious work!

• There is a decent chance we go 8-8 with a Division record of 4-2 and even with all the talent on this roster I can't see them dumping Freddie. My guess is they gamble that if we get a new DC and Freddie agrees to hand over the playcalling duties it will solve the problems. Just a guess.

This post was edited by 80sBoy 1 month ago

• Here is an odd bit of information, not that it means anything as a future indicator on how he would do as Browns head coach.

McCarthy has a combined head coaching record of 4-6 vs Bengals(1-2), Steelers (1-3), Ravens (2-1).

Kitchens is 3-1.

Btw.. I think Kitchens should be fired.

• OpiesGo said... (original post) You are correct 2016 ,they won their last 6 games to make the playoffs, I was mistaken. With the benefit of hindsight maybe we shouldv'e hired ...

I'm mistaken all the time, Haha. That's why I have to look everything up I can.

NFL and younger coaches definitely trending that way. That is what the Browns tried to do with Kitchens! Has there been too much damage to stay down the same road? I dont know... Sucks too because the Browns had Shanny, and interviewed but passed on Stefanski... dont know if they would have panned out here at this point in time, but makes me think.

Maybe a path would be a veteran NFL Defensive coach to be the HC that can manage the team and behavior... partnered with a younger offensive coach from the college ranks? Someone running a more dynamic philosophy that would put Mayfield in a position to succeed, as well use 2 RBs, different formations, etc. etc. ????

• bucks0240 said... (original post) Here is an odd bit of information, not that it means anything as a future indicator on how he would do as Browns head coach. McCarthy has a combi...

interesting stat! hmm...

I might dig into that later to find out more. :)