Duffin: Details on the Myles Garrett deal

Duffin: Details on the Myles Garrett deal

• Discussion
  • Have the Browns even inquired about Ngakove (SP) DT of the Jags? He and Myles would be another Doomsday Defense

• blkmagic00 said... (original post)Have the Browns even inquired about Ngakove (SP) DT of the Jags? He and Myles would be another Doomsday Defense

There were rumors connecting us to Yannick Ngakoue earlier in the offseason. Asking price was said to be high.

• 2020 - $10.1m
    2021 - $9.4m
    2022 - $13.0m
    2023 - $29.2m
    2024 - $32.1m
    2025 - $27.5m
    2026 - $28.6m

Looks like a tiered signing bonus structure, which is what I expected. MG was scheduled to get $4.6M in cash in 2020 with a cap hit of $9.7M. 2021 cash and cap were scheduled to be $15.2M.

The Browns reduced his cap hit over the 2020 and 2021 seasons from $24.9M to $19.5M. That $5.4M cap savings provides an extra cushion if the cap is reduced next season. In return MG is going to get more cash sooner and more guarantees.

This post was edited by barleydawg 5 months ago

• So this looks good for the next couple years, but man seeing that jump from 22 to 23 i have to wonder if this contract hurts us in the future. Are there outs in the contract at multiple stages in case we cant afford him or hes not playing up to those price tags?

• brownandorangefan said... (original post)So this looks good for the next couple years, but man seeing that jump from 22 to 23 i have to wonder if this contract hurts us in the fut...

We don't know what specifics are in the contract, but from a straight salary standpoint you can't cut him until 2025 IMO. Before that time frame the dead money situation is flat out to much.

Last year (2026) on his contract is more realistic. We cut him and save 25M with only 3M in dead money

I see no reason why he wouldn't play up to the price tag. He is a special player. I feel as time goes on people will talk bad about him just like they did with Joe Thomas before he retired.

• blkmagic00 said... (original post)Have the Browns even inquired about Ngakove (SP) DT of the Jags? He and Myles would be another Doomsday Defense

There was a report out today that he is staying put.

• On NFL Access today they said he’s still refusing to sign his tender sheet

• blkmagic00 said... (original post)On NFL Access today they said he’s still refusing to sign his tender sheet

Hmmm........

A conflict of journalism?

• brownandorangefan said... (original post)So this looks good for the next couple years, but man seeing that jump from 22 to 23 i have to wonder if this contract hurts us in the fut...

3 year window - that's about as much as you can ask for. Looks like they're looking to keep everyone they can for those seasons and try to win one during that time.
  • forty4five5 said... (original post)3 year window - that's about as much as you can ask for. Looks like they're looking to keep everyone they can for those seasons and tr...

The numbers down the road may look huge, but they won’t when we get there.

• barleydawg said... (original post)The numbers down the road may look huge, but they won’t when we get there.

They'll still be huge, when you factor in Baker, Chubb, Ward along with OBJ, Hooper, Landry. Browns are looking for a window with how Garrett is structured - they'll have to start making tough decisions around 22 / 23. Hopefully by then Baker is a top tier QB - and he won't need to be surrounded by so many high priced skill players, and he can turn just about any decent draft pick into a really good player - like top QBs do.
  • Yeah those numbers are still going to be huge. I am a firm believer that we have 3 years max to win because after that we wont be able to afford this much talent. I thought we would front load garretts contract to try and the huge money off the books for when we have to sign baker.

• forty4five5 said... (original post)They'll still be huge, when you factor in Baker, Chubb, Ward along with OBJ, Hooper, Landry. Browns are looking for a window with how Garre...

Assuming the NFL gets back on track, MG will not be overpaid or even a cap issue. He just won’t be taking up as much of the cap as you may think right now. Decisions will always have to be made on players. Landry and OBJ will both be 30 in 2023. Worrying about paying them again now is premature.

In general, pay the elite players at the most important positions and slowly churn the rest of the roster. Don’t be surprised if this FO lets players like Hunt and Chubb walk. I absolutely love Chubb, but he’s a RB and analytics driven FOs rarely pay large for RBs.

• Yep - that's what I was saying, we have a 2 or 3 year window with this current team (core) - after 2 or 3 seasons- there will be no Landry and OBJ, Chubb may or may not be there. Basically, if Baker performs - it'll be him and Myles and a lot of rotating doors at other positions.

Would really be nice to win one in the next 2 or 3 seasons!