Dwayne The Rock Johnson: We have acquired the XFL.

Dwayne The Rock Johnson: We have acquired the XFL.

• Discussion
  • Hell yea

• 15 Million for what? People love pissing away money IMO.

• user generated

• All your footballs are belong to us.

• I hope they have a plan. Could work. Get a proper TV contract and don't plan on fans. Our current situation may be right for it. But I don't know nuthin.

• IHAVETHEANSWERS said... (original post)15 Million for what? People love pissing away money IMO.

It's not like he bought the logo and nothing else. I'm sure he bought the research, the contacts, the business relationships, all the art and design work, you know... everything you need to start a football league, if you decide to do so.

That $15m is less than he makes for one movie. It could turn into an explosive asset, or maybe it doesn't. For a guy worth $300m who's world famous and probably extremely bored, why not? Plus, he has a relationship with Vince McMahon, so maybe there's a backdoor reason. Who knows?

• So The Rock and his ex-wife are still business partners? That's pretty cool. I just realized the other day his current wife is Sib Hashian's daughter. The original drummer for Boston. That's also pretty cool.

• Lets hope they can look at the history of all the previous other leagues and do the necessary planning to make this a success.

Planning, Planning and more planning, let hope they get it right.

Considering the expansion of the NFL, because of the virus, a new league might have more players that are developed beyond the college level.

I wonder if some college players will be eligible for this league, considering there is no college ball this season?

• Well, if he turns it into a parody/comedy, it might work. Should be interesting.

• ramllov said... (original post)Lets hope they can look at the history of all the previous other leagues and do the necessary planning to make this a success.Planning, Planning and ...

One might think that someone who gets up at like 3 in the morning to work out for six straight hours and who built his own media empire might have the work ethic to do it. But work ethic doesn't generate interest with viewers. We need a good product!

• 15 Rock?

• This league is going to need a serious injection of energy that feeds a potential “large fanbase”.

Even if it’s hype, gimmicky, and laced with drama .

The trick is to get people interested. Someone needs to think outside the box and ignite a mania . WWE style ?

I don’t think following the NFL model will succeed.

This post was edited by TheShank 5 months ago

• TheShank said... (original post)This league is going to need a serious injection of energy that feeds a potential “large fanbase”. Even if it’s hype, gimmicky, and laced with dram...

Depends on the ultimate goal. If it's to overthrow the NFL? Less gimmicks and need to go back to the root of the sport. Violence, gladiator style love of the game. Would make the current NFL look like soft arena, flag football by comparison. No silly ridiculous stuff -- keep it professional and clean and no wrestling antics. It would also help to have a national presence so that my only cheering interest isn't a team 1500 miles away.

• Well Vince and other investors sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into the 2nd XFL run, so I would say $15 million is a bargain. And let's not kid ourselves, he is just the face of the face of the investment team, he's not fronting all or even most of the money.

• steelersblow said... (original post)Well Vince and other investors sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into the 2nd XFL run, so I would say $15 million is a bargain. And let'...

No matter who has put forward the 15m, I wouldn't term it a good investment yet.

It's a punt. Low risk (15m is nothing to these guys), potential high reward. It could yield nothing.

The equipment, branding, and TV contract alone are worth it, IF the league can start up successfully again. But its doubtful they will be able to until 2022.

There is zero point in trying to get the league going again until then. The increased costs due to COVID simply aren't worth it, and we won't be having fans in stadiums this spring either.

• It doesn't matter who owns it. It's never going to succeed. In order for a professional league to survive, it needs stars. And i couldn't name one player that played in that league. People want to see Brady and Brees. Not Joe Lipschitz from JoAnn's Typing school.

• GraceStDawg said... (original post)So The Rock and his ex-wife are still business partners? That's pretty cool. I just realized the other day his current wife is Sib Hashian&...

Interestingly they formed their business partnership *after* their divorce. She became his manager and they formed a joint venture that produces his movies and other big name projects (Titan Games, etc.).

• Spencer Strasmore would have a hard time making the XFL work. Ballers was a lot of fantasy too.

Still 15 mil isn’t a lot. And he has partners. Worth a shot I guess.

I just don’t like the idea of watching 2nd rate pros, Browns jokes aside. If they can get some truly great players like the USFL did I might watch.

• FestivusRules said... (original post)Spencer Strasmore would have a hard time making the XFL work. Ballers was a lot of fantasy too.Still 15 mil isn’t a lot. And he has partners. ...

Recognizable names and QB play are the biggest barriers to me. I also don’t care about watching 2nd rate pros in general, but I’d pay more attention if it were guys I knew from college. Kinda like the Ohio State team in the TBT tournament. Maybe the XFL can follow a similar idea and put together regional teams. I’d love watching a team of Ohio State/Ohio guys who haven’t made it in the NFL (but would never watch a random game with not-quite-good-enough SEC players for example).

• FestivusRules said... (original post)Spencer Strasmore would have a hard time making the XFL work. Ballers was a lot of fantasy too.Still 15 mil isn’t a lot. And he has partners. ...

That USFL thing was going pretty well until someone screwed it up, wonder who that was?

• Go XFL! The NFL has wandered off the football field into politics. They are going to destroy their core business...football.

• KLK1630 said... (original post)Go XFL! The NFL has wandered off the football field into politics. They are going to destroy their core business...football.

Just like they ruined it in 2016?

Nope.

This.

I stopped watching Ballers because it became all about “Dwayne“, and not a TV show.

Hes pulling a Tom Cruise, and is confusing fantasy and reality. Im sure Vince is thrilled to take his 15m.

Itll fail. Its always failed. It will always fail. We have college football / sports.

Noone watches minor league / B league.

This post was edited by shavendawg 5 months ago

• shavendawg said... (original post)This. I stopped watching Ballers because it became all about “Dwayne“, and not a TV show. Hes pulling a Tom Cruise, and is confusing fantasy and ...

I stopped watching ballers when it veered away from football.

• TheShank said... (original post)This league is going to need a serious injection of energy that feeds a potential “large fanbase”. Even if it’s hype, gimmicky, and laced with dram...

They have to get fans to get behind a particular team. I am more likely to watch if I am rooting for a specific team. How do they do that? Home city only goes so far. How do I pick a team as “mine”? How do European soccer teams develop a US fan base?