Dwayne The Rock Johnson: We have acquired the XFL.

Dwayne The Rock Johnson: We have acquired the XFL.

• I suppose I'm responding to the idea of XFL as a replacement for what we know today as big time CFB. Let's throw one thing out there first...should some of these players be compensated in revenue generating programs...sure, yes. Now I'd argue that these kids from all over and every background benefit from leaving home for the first time and and growing in all ways from being exposed to different people, ideas, education etc. Especially w ppl their own age in a pretty safe environment. Many pick up their lifelong friends, spouses mentors from the college exp. It anchors communities and quite frankly is about more than just the players by a mile.

• cousinosgerbil said... (original post)I suppose I'm responding to the idea of XFL as a replacement for what we know today as big time CFB. Let's throw one thing out ther...

Sure some Football players and probably all Division II and Division III do benefit from the traditional college athletics experience, but an increasing number of players from NCAA Division I Power 5 Conferences and mid major conferences are saying otherwise. They are reporting negative experiences because the other students cannot relate to them, coaches expect them to take fluff classes and focus entirely on training and conditioning for football, administrators are only concerned with their contributions as far as football games and not life on campus. It goes the other way too. There’s guys who only want to play football so why set up majors with easy classes and lax academic standards to maintain NCAA eligibility? Millions are going to this wasteful use of resources.

The absolute elite - Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, Michigan, etc - are self sustaining and turn a profit every year, but the lesser Big 10, PAC 12, ACC, SEC member universities as well as mid major conference schools are operating football programs at an annual loss just to please older, wealthy donors and I think they feel they have to keep this up because state governments have been cutting financial support to public universities for decades now. So universities have to squeeze students and donors to make up the difference and football programs have benefited from that that the expense of other areas.

The XFL or a legitimate NFL minor league could end up saving college football from itself.

• verba said... (original post)Sure some Football players and probably all Division II and Division III do benefit from the traditional college athletics experience, but an increasi...

Yes, well said. Cousinosgerbil makes a good case for the traditions and pageantry of college football. Those things matter and create a degree of allegiance and loyalty to universities that helps with recruiting, retention, and alumni support.

But all those benefits ultimately need to pay their own freight. Traditions have incredible momentum, and they are definitely sustained by self-serving adminstrators and trustees who are willing to sacrifice academics and screw over students to avoid rocking the boat.

Nevertheless, one seemingly trivial but ultimately profound rule of economics is that if something can't last, it won't.

• I'm confused. Did Dwayne Johnson the famous actor invest in the league or was it his famous pro wrestler twin brother The Rock? So weird they both end up famous in entertainment. Thread title is very misleading.

• All great points and economically I really cant argue against them. I'm genuinely concerned about upending things so tied to our lives that give all of us joy even if we cant define it with monetary value, and I'd say you probably agree with that so I wont beat the horse over it. Which brings us around to corruption...its everywhere, in everything. Is it simply the fact that its impossible to get the president's & admin & TV to work together and make it work? GOD forbid, do the right things have oversight and punish the offenders regardless of influence. I know its idealistic and some of you are right about it but damn.......what a shame
    Never thought I'd be around long enough to actually witness GREED destroy some of the simple things I love. Always pictured those people operating off and away in Washington or Wall st screwing each other over, but it's never enough. Eventually it eats everything that has any value. I sound like a commie, but I'm not. I love this place and I love footbal....pretty naive of me.

• JayDawg1313 said... (original post)I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. I would also suggest moving the teams to smaller cities near their pro affiliate. For example, Canton a...

I'd go one step further and lend the minor league team the name and colors of their pro affiliate. Make it the Canton Browns and then do a variation of the Browns uniforms. Problem with the XFL is, not only do they not have name stars, they aren't an established brand. NFL can help their if owners are given a cut. Browns fans can go and wear Browns gear and would be more likely to follow the players to see if they can make it up to the next level and get behind the team. It would also allow teams to test out new uniform concepts. What would metallic orange helmets look like? Let's try it out on the minor league team.
  • cousinosgerbil said... (original post)All great points and economically I really cant argue against them. I'm genuinely concerned about upending things so tied to our lives t...

This is such a gracious response. After my last post, I asked myself “Self, who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?”

I think the problem is that institutions with high ideals are particularly prone to getting corrupted by money and/or power. They tend to get too much of the benefit of the doubt for too long and too far.

Nothing is perfect in this world and it’s best not to expect it. It doesn’t mean that universities aren’t really about furthering knowledge and transforming lives or that their athletic programs aren’t about fun, loyalty, or teaching leadership and fair play. But given those ideals, they get away with too much and they are all the more disappointing when they do.

Still, that doesn’t mean they all suck or that those ideals are pointless. By contrast I’ve met tobacco industry lobbyists, for example, and they were remarkably exactly who you’d expect them to be, with no illusions about it. I found them a bit chilling. I’d rather we have people and institutions with higher ideals, no matter how much they fall short.

This post was edited by mfs 6 months ago

• I know there was a movie that said in some way........HONOR, LOYALTY, DUTY....words you use as a punchline at a fancy dinner party.
    I'm sure I butchered it but u get the gist. CHARACTER.
    Were getting far away from where we started people.

• cousinosgerbil said... (original post)I know there was a movie that said in some way........HONOR, LOYALTY, DUTY....words you use as a punchline at a fancy dinner party. I'm ...

Wait, wasn’t that a quote from Jack Nicholson’s villainous character in A Few Good Men?

• Ole1Sock said... (original post)Wait, wasn’t that a quote from Jack Nicholson’s villainous character in A Few Good Men?

Pretty sure it wasn't said exactly that way but I might need to check. Now I have to watch that movie again. I kinda like it. Damn you! You want me on that wall...You need me on that wall!..

• cousinosgerbil said... (original post)I'd add to the thought of returning to a clean pure game of football. Instead of looking for crazy new designs colors etc...I'd go ...

Agree. Downfall of the XFL to me is it is too gimmicky. It feels like you are watching a combination of wrestling, rollerhockey, and football. It need a be legit, The Rock is an ex-football player so might bring good ideas.

• All XFL needs to do is start recruiting 5 star high school players. Propose a way for them to make money and forget about college. If they can land legit 5 star prospects, they will have the viewership.

• DoubleTeeOh said... (original post)All XFL needs to do is start recruiting 5 star high school players. Propose a way for them to make money and forget about college. If they can l...

Or if all college football below the FCS level disintegrates they will have access to another talent pool.

• moneyclip2 said... (original post)Agree. Downfall of the XFL to me is it is too gimmicky. It feels like you are watching a combination of wrestling, rollerhockey, and football. It ...

• brbbva said... (original post)I hope they have a plan. Could work. Get a proper TV contract and don't plan on fans. Our current situation may be right for it. But I don'...

Just have some type working relationship between NFL teams and the league where you take practice squad level players.... This would attract those diehard fans of NFL teams to tune in and watch their developmental players..toss in some super hot cheerleaders, and maybe at halftime you have a female lingerie game....sex sells..You’ll have some real football paired with purely sports entertainment WWF style... 15 million ? Hell yeah... a worthy roll of the dice investment that carries with it a huge upside.. at a very small relative cost..

This post was edited by h8dwg 5 months ago