Flawed LOGIC

Flawed LOGIC

• We have a billion dollar organization.... number one sport in the world perhaps

Let’s:

Have 60 year olds that are slow, probably eyes aren’t sharp, manage the league.... oh yeah they full time jobs during the week.

Horrid

• Discussion
  • I've said for years that the officials can't keep up with elite athletes. But that's not the real problem, the real problem is the constant rule changes, and now the games are being officiated from the league office.
    Did you notice after the Landry catch on the sideline that it went from first down at the 40 to an incomplete pass after the lead official received notice in his earpiece? The ball was already spotted, then suddenly it became an incomplete pass. Which is fine, it was incomplete, but if you're going to officiate the game from New York it's going to be hard for the league to convince the public they aren't controlling outcomes.
    The Nujoku catch/ non catch/ fumble/ interception was completely ridiculous. It's gotten to the point the league is starting to makeup rules as they go along. Plus the "late flags" after the play is long over are making the games unwatchable. I can't take much more.

• Agree with poppa. All I see is them pushing the ear piece in so they can hear what they are being told better.

Maybe refs are calling holding and line play but I think another entity is actually reffing the games now a days

• It's more the inconsistency that makes me cringe. Like in the Pats game, everybody saw that Harry had scored a TD but the league office in NY didn't bother to correct the call because the Pats ran out of challenges. I thought all TD's or perceived TD's were all to be reviewed, what happened to that.

To me if I were a Ref and I looked up on the big screen and saw that there was error made I would just change it. Seems that there is just a lack of candor with the on field officials to make the correct call and admit that there was an error. IDK.

• It has nothing to do with age. I could fix the problem in a single offseason by going to the archives at NFL Headquarters and bringing back the 1976 rule book.

• It's a universal problem at all levels. It's a thankless job and the games are becoming increasingly difficult to officiate. Hard to get good candidates at the lower levels when they are ridiculed and yelled at from every angle, players, parents, fans, and coaches. Most of these guys are brought up from the collegiate level, who are brought up from the high school.

Ask yourself if it's a job you would want, I know I wouldn't want to do it.

Having said all that, some of these guys just suck at their job.

• Brownsphenom said... (original post) It's a universal problem at all levels. It's a thankless job and the games are becoming increasingly difficult to officiate. Hard to ...

That's the issue, though.

No job exists in which 100% of the people doing the job are good or great at it.

But the NFL refuses to accept this, refuses to allow the Refs to be criticized. Will DEFEND the Refs when they are obviously in the wrong.

All the NFL really has to do is say 'Hey, it's not an easy job. People are going to make mistakes. This is what we're going to do to try to help these Refs be better at their job.'. And that BEGINS with accountability, that BEGINS with calling out the errors made... not silencing Coaches and Players, not fining Coaches and Players, for calling out said mistakes.

EVERYONE knows it's an issue. Coaches and Players. Owners. Fans. Talking Heads. We openly discuss this. Even the Announcers DURING THE GAMES.

And the NFL continues their idiotic stance. So it won't get fixed.

The NFL thinks it's better to tell everyone they have power over to 'shut up', instead of admitting the issue and working to resolve it.

• The whole system is archaic ...not using a "sky judge" is silly. I don't blame the refs on the field as they are humans and the game is so fast. Get rid of the coaches challenge and have the sky judge offer assistance throughout the game. I watch premier league rugby and they use the sky judge....its very efficient and moves the game along. The calls are corrected and the game moves on.

• genevabuck said... (original post) It has nothing to do with age. I could fix the problem in a single offseason by going to the archives at NFL Headquarters and bringing back the ...

Yeah but in 1976 you didn’t have 300 lb with 5% body fat dudes running around ... age does matter. I don’t need elite athletes but we need athletes to physically do the job they are doing.

Full time job and combine esq stuff for refs that are in their 30s,40s,50s while working at a hq that says is in Florida all week doing drills exercises film work etcccc

• The NFL has completely mishandled the referees and the entire situation. Admit the mistakes, correct the calls with the "sky judge", have refs in New York watching every game. Get the calls right, or as "right" as possible. I don't think coaches and players should turn every press conference into a ****** session about the refs though. If the league got the calls right by using replay refs the entire game there would be less ridicule from the coaches on the field. College seems to not have a problem using replay all the time. The league needs transparency with the refs and calls, admit mistakes and take corrective action.

• Brownsphenom said... (original post) The NFL has completely mishandled the referees and the entire situation. Admit the mistakes, correct the calls with the "sky judge", ...

And simplify things.

I still remember recently people having to debate what the hell a catch is. Not if a certain play was a catch, but just the very definition. And it's written in black and white.

That should never be a thing. If the definition is that difficult, you need a better ruling.

• Brrexkl said... (original post) And simplify things.I still remember recently people having to debate what the hell a catch is. Not if a certain play was a catch, but just the ver...

Simplifying things was basically my earlier point. I can guarantee that if you compared the thickness of today’s rule book to one from the 1970’s people would be astounded.

• The simple solution to the end zone /scoring play is for the officials to call anything within 1 yard of the goal line a TD. Since all scoring plays are reviewed they will in theory get the call right(HAH).

This is obviously sarcasm but I wonder if as a form of protests the officials actually did this one weekend how the NFL offices would react. The games are borderline unwatchable now anyway so I would laugh my arse off if the officials would do this.

• Rookie said... (original post) We have a billion dollar organization.... number one sport in the world perhaps Let’s:Have 60 year olds that are slow, probably eyes aren’t sharp, m...

And we have the ability to see everything from about 6 angles in perfect HD Tencicolor, but let's have the dude on the sideline watch stuff on a frickin Ipad

This post was edited by GeeFan 1 month ago

• I have trouble getting too wound up about reffing quite yet (although yes its horrible)...if I thought this team was serious about contending my perspective might change.
    Right now it's just a comedy within a comedy

• GeeFan said... (original post) And we have the ability to see everything from about 6 angles in perfect HD Tencicolor, but let's have dude on the sideline watch stuff on a fr...

This is actually part of the problem. Years ago, fans didnt have all this access. Think back to a game at the old Muni. Replay? Lol, naw. Just a Marlboro ad and some half burnt out light bulbs showing a little 3 second wizard of Oz cartoon.

Same at home, now every play is instantly scrutinized from 3 angles in super slo mo up on your 70" 4K UHD and even YOU can pause, rewind, freeze it, etc. . Wasn't always like that.

My son actually aggravates me at times with this during games.

"Pops, rewind that, look at this, look at that."

"Son, we're screwed here, ok? Let's just move on and get this over with."

• BrownsTown said... (original post) This is actually part of the problem. Years ago, fans didnt have all this access. Think back to a game at the old Muni. Replay? Lol, naw. Just a ...

Yeah, the technology has exposed how bad the officiating on the field really is - but since we have the tech, they should use it better

• GeeFan said... (original post) Yeah, the technology has exposed how bad the officiating on the field really is - but since we have the tech, they should use it better

You do realize the guy with the I Pad is seeing all the angles with all the clarity available? That's why it takes so long as they have to make sure the look the views.

• BrownsTown said... (original post) This is actually part of the problem. Years ago, fans didnt have all this access. Think back to a game at the old Muni. Replay? Lol, naw. Just a ...

And the players going back to the huddle are all watching it too.

• midhawk said... (original post) You do realize the guy with the I Pad is seeing all the angles with all the clarity available? That's why it takes so long as they have to mak...

Yes, on a 10’inch screen vs the 60’ inch screens you could put in a central review center

• GeeFan said... (original post) Yes, on a 10’inch screen vs the 60’ inch screens you could put in a central review center

I think Riveron and the NY central review uses I phone screens.

• So they make mistakes, ok I’ll give you that. Explain to me though how often after lengthy reviews of an obvious bad call the get it wrong again??

• genevabuck said... (original post) It has nothing to do with age. I could fix the problem in a single offseason by going to the archives at NFL Headquarters and bringing back the ...

This ^^^^^^

• Flawed Logic, this would make a decent band name.

• When y'all come to grips with that fact that the NFL is rigged "Entertainment", it becomes way easier to stomach... I seriously can't wait for the cage matches to decide overtime

• Officiating isnt that hard. The NFL wants you to think it is.