Hooper's reply to Mary Kay.

Hooper's reply to Mary Kay.

• TomServo said... (original post)The Lerners weren't cheap, they hired respected football people with strong resumes, and they did it right. We had a playoff team in 2002, aft...

I blame Al for dying too soon and his inept progeny taking over. I also blame the NFL for screwing Cleveland over by not giving them enough time to find the right people for the front office and the coaching staff. Everything was very rushed, especially when compared to every other expansion franchise the NFL granted in the same period. Between that short time and the ridiculous restrictions/mandates on how they had to spend their cap money (which no other franchise before or since was subjected to) it was a total f**k job -- and no kiss was involved.

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post)My question to older fans is:1) How did Mary Kay rise to prominence and get this job in the first place? She must be powerful and connected...

It’s a good question. A beat reporter who relishes in drama like she’s narrating her own soap opera. She hasn’t the slightest clue how generate thought provoking dialogue— basic stuff. Like:

1. ask open ended questions instead of closed ended.

2. Don’t “lead the witness” Don’t fill in the answers for them or give them multiple choice. (She always does this).

3. Use phrases like, “help us understand ...” or “how do you compare x and y..”

This is like basic stuff and I constantly hear reporters or interviewers butcher it. You can take courses online for FREE. Yet clearly only a few of them engage in much self improvement from a communication standpoint.

But to answer your question. A. It’s Cleveland. B. It’s the Browns. Sports reporters aren’t exactly rushing to cover this franchise or growing up wanting to.

• When you watch the video, there's no sign of Hooper being sarcastic.

Keep in mind, too, that this wasn't a MKC exclusive interview -- she wasn't even the one who asked the question that lead to Hooper's answer -- and that other people listening came to the same conclusion: Hooper slammed Witten.

In fact, her reporting of his response was entirely accurate and fair.

To the extent that someone in the media failed here -- and that's a stretch as this is clearly on Hooper -- it would be either Zac Jackson or the entire pool or reporters for not asking the follow-up for him to clarify. But again, that's on Hooper first and foremost.

After it came out, Hooper either a) realized that he made a tonal error in not communicating his true intent (sarcasm) or b) decided he came off badly / didn't want to say that on the record.

So he tweeted about the supposed sarcastic nature of the comments and seemingly tried to blame MKC for his own error.

This is obvious to anyone who watches for themselves, instead of doing the usual lazy, reactive, hot-take thing.

• There are rumors that Witten had a comeback, but it came off as stilted, wooden and inarticulate.

• September241979 said... (original post)When you watch the video, there's no sign of Hooper being sarcastic.Keep in mind, too, that this wasn't a MKC exclusive interview ...

Good, solid post.

September and GraceSt.Dawg are two in this thread who saw it all for what it was, and not for what they wanted it to be... namely another beat up Blondie thread.

I don't think that Cabot is a particularly good beat writer, but I'll tell you what: if this press conference was not on video and audio, and we did a "Who Asked It?" game with the reporters' names in column A, and the questions in column B, most of us wouldnt' have gotten half right. You wouldn't know if a question came from Mary Kay or Jeff or Nate. I would say that Grossi's question DID sound like him, so I could have likely nailed that. Otherwise they're all pretty interchangeable.

Hooper was articulate and pretty positive, so the dump on Witten came out of left field. There was the usual yada, yada about chemistry with Baker and the TE's being a unit with comraderie, but not much news value there. So the Journalism 101 prof would ask "Out of that 15 minutes, what WAS the big takeaway?" No getting around it-- the shot at Witten. Hooper pulled that one out in a brain fart moment, then tried to minimize it as sarcasm, and then claimed anyone who wrote that was just looking for click bait.

No, that was the biggest news nugget that came out of a 15 minute snoozer. And while many beat writers do tend to write up responses to THEIR questions, guess who was the one person who focused on the key takeaway that came from a response intitiated by another reporter?

Trying to characterize it as clickbait is beyond bogus. Hooper said it.b she reported it. She didn't ask the question that inspired Hooper to dump on Witten. Zac Jackson asked the question that led to Hooper’s opinion.

This post was edited by Vaark 5 months ago

• Writerdawg said... (original post)I blame Al for dying too soon and his inept progeny taking over. I also blame the NFL for screwing Cleveland over by not giving them enough time ...

Al, while on his deathbed, asked Randy to own and run the team for at least 10 years. Not not to begrudge a dying mans wishes but Randy didn’t give a crap. He moved to NYC and later bought a soccer team in Great Britain so he could escape his inept performance in Cleveland.

• JerrySherk said... (original post)Al, while on his deathbed, asked Randy to own and run the team for at least 10 years. Not not to begrudge a dying mans wishes but Randy didn’t gi...

Then that soccer team got relegated. I think Randy Lerner just doesn’t have any talent as a sports team owner.

• Ole1Sock said... (original post)Then that soccer team got relegated. I think Randy Lerner just doesn’t have any talent as a sports team owner.

As often happens with families where one of them has created great wealth...the scion has only one talent, and that's the ability to spend what their parent created.

• KTS:

My question to older fans is:

1) How did Mary Kay rise to prominence and get this job in the first place? She must be powerful and connected.

AA:

Here's an idea, instead of just asking the question, why not dig for the answers?

C'mon, you can be a journalist. Next to the teaching profession, it's the one job so many people think they could do themselves. All it takes is 30-40 hours of classroom training and your official PRESS badge and that's all it takes.

But why do the legwork when you can just dismiss it with the whopper that she's "powerful and connected." Lord help us.

KTS:

2) What skills/talents does she have as a reporter that others don't?

AA:

Others in general or other reporters? Well, being clear would be one skill.

You could ask the reverse, what skill/talents do other beat writers have that she doesn't?

They could have all attended j-school, broke in on other beats with smaller publications and risen to their current position. Don't believe anyone got their masters from Columbia's J school, and apprenticed on war coverage or city hall or statehouse beats. OTOH, no one was schooled at the Nashville Auto Diesel College, and somehow conned their way into a sports writing gig. In short, there may be no significant differences other than Cabot is a woman, a blonde, and doesn't look like Dorothy Fuldheim, though she also doesn't look like Mina Kimes or Kate Fagan.

So Cabot being a reasonably good looking blonde gets her on camera gigs as well, but it also gets her unwarranted grief from fans still stuck on the stupid of a woman doing an inferior job because, first and foremost, she's a woman.

KTS:

3) How come the Browns have not thrown her off the beat for damaging the team's relationship with the media?

AA:

The Browns don't hire or fire beat writers. The media outlets do that, and the Browns must live with who's assigned to them. If the Browns don't like the job they're doing, they can complain to the club, but they won't get far if the outlet believes their employee is doing a decent enough job.

The big exception is when Grossi put himself in hot water with his insults of Randy Lerner, and letting them leak out to the public. The Browns rightfully argued that he proved he couldn't be an objective reporter, and the Plain Dealer knew they were over a barrel. Once Grossi screwed himself, his bosses knew they couldn't ethically keep him there.

SHERK:

Grossi was correct, he just clicked the wrong button and sent it to All of his contacts.

AA:

Correct or incorrect wasn't the issue. Grossi was entitled to his opinion. But as a reporter, he was obligated to keep his opinion to himself. He didn't.

WRITER:

I blame Al for dying too soon and his inept progeny taking over. I also blame the NFL for screwing Cleveland over by not giving them enough time to find the right people for the front office and the coaching staff.

AA:

That was all on Al. He should have sold the team rather than impose it upon a son who was neither ready, willing or able to own a sports franchise.

Keeping it in the family worked for Vito to Michael, not Al to Randy, Art to David, or Paul to Mike.

And the Browns got the bum's rush because the league overcompensated for Jacksonville and Carolina, then overcompensated in the other direction. But that would explain a lousy team for five years, not 20. That crutch can't be used for two decades.

BYSCUIT:

This is like basic stuff and I constantly hear reporters or interviewers butcher it. You can take courses online for FREE. Yet clearly only a few of them engage in much self improvement from a communication standpoint.

AA:

Which few would that be, and how would you clearly know that?

WRITER:

As often happens with families where one of them has created great wealth...the scion has only one talent, and that's the ability to spend what their parent created.

AA:

Not in this case. Al Lerner made his fortune with MBNA while Randy had his own investment firm. He made a truckload of money himself, and what he made on the sale of the Browns was still lesser compensation. He would have made more had he continued doing his Axe Capital gig rather than abide by daddy's wishes to serve 10 years at trying to run a business he never wanted.

This post was edited by Vaark 5 months ago

• TomServo said... (original post)The Lerners weren't cheap, they hired respected football people with strong resumes, and they did it right. We had a playoff team in 2002, aft...

I agree they spent money but not well. With the opportunities they had they could done much much better. They were too often satisfied with mediocrity. But we can agree to disagree. Not worth arguing about at this point.

• Bye bye poppa 9601. I warned you, now take a month off. Bringing politics into the ‘Cooler, and doing it poorly at that, isn’t a good idea.

This post was edited by JerrySherk 5 months ago

• JerrySherk said... (original post)Bye bye poppa 9601. I warned you, now take a month off. Bringing politics into the ‘Cooler, and doing it poorly at that, isn’t a good idea.

I hope you meant to send that to poppa 9601, because taking a shot at a guy that can't respond seems like a weak move. We can't see what he even wrote. Suspend the guy or whatever, but don't beat your chest over it. 80S Dancing GIF
  • OLROY said... (original post)I hope you meant to send that to poppa 9601, because taking a shot at a guy that can't respond seems like a weak move. We can't see what he ...

Meh. It was a message sent to Poppa AND posters in general that inserting politics ain’t gonna fly. Such mod messages have shown up enough in the Corona thread on a fairly frequent basis. People get it and move on.

Posts that violate the rules don’t get to remain. Violators don’t get one last shot to vent. I had a response to his insertion of politics, and while it stayed within rules, it may have been quoted in yet another Poppa response, so it got removed as well. Never saw it, so no big deal.

• Say it to the hand user generated

• Being a journalist stopped being a true profession around 1985. Even then..........

• Vaark said... (original post)KTS:My question to older fans is:1) How did Mary Kay rise to prominence and get this job in the first place? She must be powerful and connected.AA:Her...

Thank you Vaark.

Marla Ridenour is a woman, and she's great. Same with Doris Burke at the national level with the NBA. Those female reporters seem to ask tough questions of their subjects and do their research. For instance, Burke goes in-depth about the technical aspects of basketball.

MKC--I'm still trying to figure out her success. She's become popular in CLE over the last 20 years. She did have a good article about her father, who was a military veteran, a few years ago.

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 5 months ago

• darkdawg64 said... (original post)I believe in the ninetees, Grossi had worn thin on Belechik and Belechik had him taken off the Browns assignment as a beat reporter.Milfy was alr...

Thank you darkdawg.

Grossi can be negative but there are times where he at least writes well.

• Rookie said... (original post)Powerful? She has a beat writer job for a dying paper.... Your Saleforce administrator 2 houses down has more “power”

I talked to a guy in Columbus who is friends with her cousin. From what I'm told she's a very powerful/mover/shaker in the western suburbs of CLE. Lots of wealth, not as much as Lerner/Haslam but not poor either.

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post)Thank you Vaark.Marla Ridenour is a woman, and she's great. Same with Doris Burke at the national level with the NBA. Those female rep...

Like I said, I don't find Cabot to be an exceptional reporter/sportswriter. She's not Jackie MacMullan, but she's not a poseur like Erin Andrews.

Yet more than a few fans love to use Cabot as a whipping post, something they don't do with beat writers other than Grossi, who-- in fairness-- has provided plenty of ammo over the years. It's like 1977 and ballplayers getting their towels in a twist because a woman sportswriter is in the locker room. Get over it.

One thing I wrote in response to Poppa that got axed because his response was axed was this: we shouldn't measure progress when a ball player or sports reporter or anyone in any walk of life is soooo good at their job that they break a cultural barrier.

A high school classmate of mine's father was the first Black chemist to work for Goodyear. You know how unbelievably phuquing good he had to be to get that job in the 1940's?

But THAT is not the measure of progress I'm talking about.

REAL progress is when said person can hold that job, and be average at it. Not a world beater, not an incompetent, just... average. That's progress.

For every Jackie Robinson, there's a Pumpsie Green.

For every Bill Willis, there's a Shon Coleman.

For every Jason Collins, there's.... a Jason Collins.

For every Dorothy Fuldheim, there's a Laura Caso.

Cabot is a woman who happens to be a sports reporter. But for some, she couldn't have accomplished that on her own, so it only stands to reason that if she's not giving hummers, she's powerful and connected.

I'm kinda thinkin' that if someone is powerful and connected, then they sure wasted it all to merely aspire to be a sports writer.

• Vaark said... (original post)Like I said, I don't find Cabot to be an exceptional reporter/sportswriter. She's not Jackie MacMullan, but she's not a poseur like Eri...

Well said except Grossi is roundly mocked in these parts.

• Vaark said... (original post)Like I said, I don't find Cabot to be an exceptional reporter/sportswriter. She's not Jackie MacMullan, but she's not a poseur like Eri...

In the journalism world she is powerful and connected, but maybe not in relation to say, bankers or politicians.

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post)In the journalism world she is powerful and connected, but maybe not in relation to say, bankers or politicians.

OLE:

Well said except Grossi is roundly mocked in these parts.

AA:

As noted with his supplying ample ammunition for others to shoot at him.

KTS:

In the journalism world she is powerful and connected,

AA:

Sigh.

What shred of actual evidence would there be to support that?

Hearsay from a friend of a cousin who sells real estate in Strongsville doesn't cut it.

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post)Thank you darkdawg.Grossi can be negative but there are times where he at least writes well.

Oh no he's a great writer, he just gets under people's skin starting with Belechik.
  • darkdawg64 said... (original post)Oh no he's a great writer, he just gets under people's skin starting with Belechik.

I’ve seen Grossi do good pieces, but he certainly does not do so consistently.

• Ole1Sock said... (original post)I’ve seen Grossi do good pieces, but he certainly does not do so consistently.

He can ask some really dumb questions, just ask Baker!