How about that Cardinal defense?

How about that Cardinal defense?

• Another week, another bunch of weird stories and some accomplishments. This time, more Chubb success, and the first time in history we've beaten the Rats, Stools, and Bungles in the same season. But coming up looks like the most fun we'll have all year.

Baker Mayfield vs. the coach who he accused of not communicating with him, not offering him a scholarship, and then denying his transfer, Kliff Kingsbury.

Baker Mayfield vs. the guy who stole all his thunder by possibly being a more electric, exciting Heisman winner for the Sooners a year later, Kyler Murray.

But most importantly, Baker Mayfield and company vs. the worst defense in the NFL (by yardage), a team that's allowed 21 or more points EVERY GAME THIS SEASON. I repeat: The Arizona Cardinals have allowed AT LEAST 21 points every single week. Win or loss, Drew Brees or Duck Hodges, everybody gets 21 points. By way of comparison, we've allowed 21+ in about half our games, with a wide variance of outcomes when we have done so (Blowouts in both directions and a couple close losses).

The Cardinals seem to be bad at everything. They've allowed 32 passing TDs against 6 picks, with a 7.4 yards per attempt... and a 4.3 yards per carry on the rush, with over 100 yards for every team except (weirdly) the Niners, who passed for 400+ yards against them. They have talent on defense... Chandler Jones and T. Suggs, Jordan Hicks and Patrick Peterson, but EVERY team has rolled them in offense. That seems ridiculous given that Chandler Jones alone has 14 sacks and 6 forced fumbles, they must be really, really bad on third down or something. Can we get a couple of guys on Jones, please?

Anyhow, Mayfield revenge game or not, this should be a monster game for Chubb and Hunt. I can't fathom how a team who gives up 100+ yards to very nearly everybody will be able to stand up to those studs.

Oh, and they're god-awful against tight ends, so David Njoku might get his chance to get out of the doghouse. Should be a fun one!

• Discussion
  • Steve wilks vs the team who fired him

• From TomServo:

"Anyhow, Mayfield revenge game or not, this should be a monster game for Chubb and Hunt. I can't fathom how a team who gives up 100+ yards to very nearly everybody will be able to stand up to those studs. "

Can't fathom it huh?

Freddie kind of reminds me of Dean Smith, the omly person to hold Michael Jordan under 20 points/game in his career.

• Cards remind me a lot of the Browns. Highly inconsistent.

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) Cards remind me a lot of the Browns. Highly inconsistent.

They're actually extremely consistent. 21+ points scored against in every game, 100+ yards rushing in all but one game... that's consistency.

They have three wins, against the 1-12 Bungles, the 2-11 Giants, and the 4-9 Falcons. Largest margin of victory? Six points. They've been blown out four times. They are not a good team.

Say what you want about the 2019 Browns, we've blown out three teams and beaten at least two playoff teams. We may be inconsistent, but we've also been good at times. The Cards defense has been soundly terrible all year long, every game.

This post was edited by TomServo 1 month ago

• TomServo said... (original post) They're actually extremely consistent. 21+ points scored against, 100+ yards rushing in all but one game... that's consistency.They have ...

The inconsistency probably applies more to the Cards offense. Their defense is consistently less than the sum of its parts. And I do wonder if Patrick Peterson has lost a step.

• TomServo said... (original post) They're actually extremely consistent. 21+ points scored against in every game, 100+ yards rushing in all but one game... that's consistency.They ...

Terrelle Suggs against whoever we're gonna have at tackle worries me
  • TomServo said... (original post) Another week, another bunch of weird stories and some accomplishments. This time, more Chubb success, and the first time in history we've bea...

First time that we've avoided two losses to any given division opponent since 1992 (3-3 vs. the Oilers, Steelers, Bengals).

• We've made two 3rd string QBs look damn near like Tom Brady, and well... It's the Browns. I take no game, against any team, for granted when it comes to this team. They're fully capable of playing down to any level, and lower.

• TomServo said... (original post) They're actually extremely consistent. 21+ points scored against in every game, 100+ yards rushing in all but one game... that's consist...

They actually are better than their 3-13 counterpart last year, but in Year 1 of their rebuild. 3-9-1 and probably 4-11-1 or 5-10-1 to finish the season.

We should beat them if we limit the turnovers.

Suggs is still a threat. IF we had a legit OL I'd be less worried.

More worried about their rushing attack than their passing attack!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/crd/2019.htm

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 1 month ago

• CLErocks said... (original post) We've made two 3rd string QBs look damn near like Tom Brady, and well... It's the Browns. I take no game, against any team, for granted when it co...

Those two 3rd string QBs were supported by good defenses.
  • Browns are marginally better than the Cardinals. 2pt favorites. Wouldn’t expect a “fun” win. It might happen but I’d venture to guess their offense will go up and down the field on our defense like the Bungles did.

• Animaleyz said... (original post) Those two 3rd string QBs were supported by good defenses.

And our dysfunctional offense was not, apparently.

• TomServo said... (original post) Oh, and they're god-awful against tight ends, so David Njoku might get his chance to get out of the doghouse. Should be a fun one!

For the most part, the struggle vs tight ends are vs. ones who line up in the slot. Ours does not. Landry should be great this week though.

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) Cards remind me a lot of the Browns. Highly inconsistent.

But scary, I expect the Browns to show up flat and unprepared.
  • The Browns seemed flat after Bengals game, If I hadn't watched it, I woulda thought we lost just how post game interviews sounded.

• TomServo said... (original post) They're actually extremely consistent. 21+ points scored against in every game, 100+ yards rushing in all but one game... that's consist...

Do we get to hear you honk about how good Baker is when he goes 14-32 0 td’s and 3 ints against this stacked defense?

• Cardinals are going to be desperate for a win.... they have had a rough schedule lately, and after the Browns its no picnic either. This could make the game more difficult than what people see on paper.

• beetandtomatoes said... (original post) Do we get to hear you honk about how good Baker is when he goes 14-32 0 td’s and 3 ints against this stacked defense?

Why are you here? Who are you? Do your parents know you're using their computer?

• DropkickPride said... (original post) Cardinals are going to be desperate for a win.... they have had a rough schedule lately, and after the Browns its no picnic either. This coul...

21 points every game this year. 100+ yards rushing in all but one game. They don't have the players... or the scheme... to stop anybody.

If we score less than 21 points, Kitchens and company have some very serious explaining to do. Now, it might be a shootout, I'll give anybody that, and it'll probably be close - 8 of their games were 1 score games. But if our offense tanks, it's on the coaching staff, period. It's their job to evaluate the other guy and exploit what they're bad at. And they're bad at everything.

• beetandtomatoes said... (original post) Do we get to hear you honk about how good Baker is when he goes 14-32 0 td’s and 3 ints against this stacked defense?

So, that's your prediction~?

• Suggs is probably licking his chops. He could never beat Joe. By the end of the game he would dog it cause it was no use. His revenge game if there's anything left in his tank.

• sarasotadawg said... (original post) Suggs is probably licking his chops. He could never beat Joe. By the end of the game he would dog it cause it was no use. His revenge game if ...

LOL, I'm not sure I agree with that. Suggs was the single guy who gave Thomas more trouble than ALL the rest. He has more sacks against the Browns than any other team in his career (#2 is the Steelers, #3 the Bungles, not surprising). He did not, to be fair, have any multi-sack games against the Browns after Thomas was drafted. I seem to recall James Harrison getting stoned by Thomas to the point of frustration, though. He only had 6.5 sacks against us in his career, 4th after the Rats, Bungles, and Colts.

Suggs has all of a half a sack since late October. Chandler Jones is the guy to really worry about.

• OpiesGo said... (original post) Browns are marginally better than the Cardinals. 2pt favorites. Wouldn’t expect a “fun” win. It might happen but I’d venture to guess their offense ...

They probably will do just that. Kyler Murray has played decently this year, and I expect he'll put some points up on the Browns. Game will probably come down to who turns the ball over less.

• I live in AZ and will be at the game on Sunday. While we should beat them, we should not sleep on them. They are capable of putting up some points if KM gets in a groove, and our D could let them do it.

Plus, we haven’t put together many offensive masterpieces. We are very inconsistent.

• Browns are only favored by 2.5. This is a 50/50 game.