HT: Annual Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

HT: Annual Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

• Some random thoughts...

• I think 24 teams was too big a number...20 would have been just right. Adding the extra four just to add Montreal, Chicago and NY Rangers was a clear money grab (understandable I guess).
    • Fun annual article on TheAthletic about OGWACs (Old Guys Without A Cup). If the CBJ are not winning the whole thing, then my top three OGWACs I'd be pulling for are Henrik Lundqvist, Mikko Koivu and Patty Marleau (Pavs would be my #4). Problem with Marleau is he plays for the Pens and no way I want to see the Pens hoist another Cup.
    • I watched two exhibition games, not surprisingly the passing and timing were a bit sloppy from the skaters but the goaltending was really good!
    • No goal horn on goals scored...wtf? That's gotta change!

OK...on to the CBJ...

• Torts deserves the Jack Adams for what he and the team accomplished this year losing Bobs, Duchene and Bread to Free Agency and then all the crazy injuries to major players for long stretches, icing a minor league roster for many games and still deservedly making the post-season.
    • All but one player back healthy for the post-season...very excited about that. Getting Jones and Bjorkstrand back are huge!
    • And the big question...who starts in net Game 1 Sunday: Elvis or Korpi. I know everyone says this is a good problem to have and it is certainly better than having no good goalie options or having no reliable backup in case your starter gets hurt or falters. Korpi might be more steady but Elvis is crazy athletic and I think has the higher upside. Elvis is more likely to steal us a series but he is also more likely to implode. Korpi is more steady but not as exciting. If Korpi gets the start I am happy for him, feel he has earned it and know Elvis will get his chance either later this post-season or next year. If Elvis gets the net I will feel for Korpi because he's very good and if Elvis does what Elvis can do then Korpi might become a backup hoping for a trade so he can finally be "the guy".

CBJ! CBJ! CBJ!

• Discussion
  • I am a Flyers fan, I used to like CBJ until they moved into the same division as the Flyers, now I root against them. If the Flyers get eliminated or miss the playoffs, I then will support CBJ.

• CBJ has a tough matchup with Toronto but starting tomorrow we'll have MLB, NHL, NBA and MLS all rocking! Let's hope they all make it through for our NFL sake.

• It's about time Doggy! I was planning on digging for the CBJ thread today.

I have no expectations going in. Boom or bust won't surprise me either way. Between the layoff itself and all the injuries before where this team really hasn't played together all year. Either way, can't wait to get this started and I'll be drinking my Elvis Juice.

• dawgwolfjr said... (original post)CBJ has a tough matchup with Toronto but starting tomorrow we'll have MLB, NHL, NBA and MLS all rocking! Let's hope they all make it th...

So you're saying we'll have two watchable sports (I don't put the MLS and NBA in any watchable category...and in a normal year, probably wouldn't watch as much MLB, but I like the shortened schedule.)

I'm very excited about the NHL and the CBJ. I'm guessing Elvis gets the start, but won't be surprised or disappointed with either.

• I believe its a toss up this year. All teams probably are mostly healthy going in but this is where the coaches and organizations will definitely make a difference. If/when the covid bubble pops you are gonna see good coaches push their team on. Deep teams will excel because almost guarantee that covid will take some players down.

That said if CBJ win it all....will there be an asterisk on the season....or even if they do not will all championships be labeled with an asterisk?

• LETS GO FLYERS!

I agree 24 was too many, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if NYR make some noise (especially if they play Shestorkin). MTL has no business still being around, but I don’t have too much of an issue with it. Pittsburgh will handle them in three (as much as I hate to say it).

As a Flyers fan, I think Vignault has done a damn good job, but I agree Torts should absolutely win the Jack Adams. Vignault is a good coach, but the Flyers success this year is more of an indictment on how awful Hakstol was than how good Alain has done. The job Torts has done with the obscene amount of injuries CBJ has had, in a year when they had already lost Panarin, Bob, and Dzingel (I’m not even counting Duchene since he was only there a few months) has been absolutely phenomenal.

I don’t make a habit of rooting for other teams in my division, I hope CBJ smacks Toronto around. It wouldn’t surprise me if it happens either. For as great as Matthews is on the offensive end, he is equally as terrible in his defensive end. It’s not just Toronto’s defensemen that are holding them back, their forwards can’t play defense for the most part either.

Good luck - maybe we’ll see you in the next round.

• I agree 24 is too many (being a Canes fan the fact the Rangers are in sucks, although last year the Caps swept the Canes in the regular season and that turned out ok)

As far as the series goes most of the play ins look to be pretty even. In the Canes case they are pretty much better then the Rangers in every category except goal and we know that can be the great equalizer. We will see if either Mrazek or Reimer gets hot. If they do the Ranger will get swept they dont have the horses to keep up. Basically a 1 line team.

Watched a little of the Habs, Leafs game and the Habs look awful. Dont see them getting very far. The Leafs to my eye dont look good enough to justify their payroll/talent

• No asterisks. There are no asterisks on any of the work stoppage shortened seasons. Nobody questions the Blackhawks 2013 SC Championship despite a 48 game regular season. If anything, this playoffs will be harder to win than any other.

As for Leafs, they are very gifted offensively but despite all that offense they were still just the #8 seed while we were #9 despite all our injuries. Its not like they are unbeatable...and we are almost 100% healthy now. I believe if we win we will face Boston again in the next round.

• Should be interesting with no fans. Momentum shifts will not be as palpable due to the lack of crowds.

The Jackets looked good last night. Crisp passing, the power play looked like it was actually a strength (which is vastly different than any previous point in the last few years).

I'm looking forward to it. I loves me some hockey playoffs.

• 2 and a half hours till it starts!

GO CANES!

• Well the Canes beat King Henrik who has always been a Canes killer.
    Canes were the better team through the whole game. With their goal tending they will never be out but if they don't get better from the skaters the Canes will sweep them.

• Bread was AWOL. Canes are talented and play an exciting game under BrindAmour

• DoggyII said... (original post)Bread was AWOL. Canes are talented and play an exciting game under BrindAmour

The Canes D can stifle most teams without multiple scoring lines. Once Dougie is back it will be even better. Seems like every Dman is a top4 defender even the guys they scratch
  • My Canadiens took out the Pens! What a game!! biggrin

This post was edited by lumberman2 5 months ago

• Love the fact that the Pens lost. Simply can't stand the Pens or the Stools. Way too many fans of both here in CBus.

CBJ are underdogs. 8PM tonight game 1. As noted, getting Jones and Bjorkstrand back will be huge. Scoring is desperately needed. SJ isn't afraid to fire off a shot and OB is one of the better shooters IMO.

• Hockey might be the pro sport that has the best chance of finishing the season relatively unscathed.

• lumberman2 said... (original post)My Canadiens took out the Pens! What a game!!

Congrats Lumbo. I watched the first period. The Pens were swarming early and Price was outstanding (easily could have been 2-0 Pens in the first six minutes of the game). I know everyone is picking the Pens...and I am too...but after the way the CBJ knocked out Tampa last year the Habs beting the Pens doesn't seem so far fetched.

The Pens have the advantage in top end offensive talent, experience and veteran leadership but I personally think Murray is an average goalie (his two Cups have A LOT to do with the team around him). Not sure Jarry is up to the task either. So Price becomes the equalizer, he will have to play like he did last night if the Habs are to win band that's a tall order but we know he can do it.

• dmnc94 said... (original post)The Canes D can stifle most teams without multiple scoring lines. Once Dougie is back it will be even better. Seems like every Dman is a top4 defende...

Not unlike the CBJ who have a guy playing on their third pairing who could be a top pairing D-Man for many teams (Ryan Murray...when healthy).

Honestly what scares me about the Canes is the stye of hockey they play, the CBJ and Isles also play a tough tight checking defensive game that frustrates opposing offenses but the CBJ don't push offense like the Canes do. I don't know what the Corsi is but it feels like the Canes are in the offensive zone way more than they are in the defensive zone. I am cheering for the Rangers but mostly because I don't really want to face Carolina further down the road (and I really like King Henrik).

• brett said... (original post)Hockey might be the pro sport that has the best chance of finishing the season relatively unscathed.

I think so too. The big reason is as a whole hockey players are much more mature then the others. You won't find any of them getting "food" from strip clubs
  • DoggyII said... (original post)Not unlike the CBJ who have a guy playing on their third pairing who could be a top pairing D-Man for many teams (Ryan Murray...when healthy).Honest...

If you saw the game yesterday the Rangers didn't have possession of the puck in the O zone for the first 5-6 minutes of the game. To be honest I know it was a 1 goal win but the Canes dominated that game start to finish.
  • They are playing games in Toronto.... Just not the Blue Jays...

• dennn said... (original post)They are playing games in Toronto.... Just not the Blue Jays...

Yes the NHL is using 2 hub cities and players are all there so there's no travel. The problem with the Jay's was the constant travel and the Canadian government travel quarantine
  • Lifelong Maple Leafs fan. So I'll say I hope the winner of the series wins the cup. And the loser wins the draft lottery. Both would be miraculous

• 24 is not enough.....

says lonely Sharks fan ...

Will pull for Habs!

Anybody but Pens Bruins Knights

Hockey is niiiiiiiiiiice!

• ragu18 said... (original post)Lifelong Maple Leafs fan. So I'll say I hope the winner of the series wins the cup. And the loser wins the draft lottery. Both would be miraculo...

You got Matthews, not rooting for you to get another 1st overall so soon. Not to add to that top six.