HT: Annual Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

HT: Annual Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

• ragu18 said... (original post)I wouldn't say that. A lot of people questioned dubas and Andersen long before this. In October Keefe was coaching the minor league marlies. The ...

TYPICAL Leafs fan. Not the rational ones.

• I think I would want Dubas fired too...he has acquired plenty of top end offensive talent but at what cost? Salary Cap Hell on the horizon, a lack of defense, not enough depth on the 3rd and 4th lines and not enough toughness for post-season success. And with that Salary Cap Hell comes needing to move pieces around to make it all fit from year to year.

The guy let Marner and Nylander push him around and he caved to very player friendly deals that hurt the organization going forward. Its OK to create that hell if you win...but the window is small and they didn't win.

Poor roster management and that's his top priority.

This post was edited by DoggyII 1 month ago

• Well, I'm surprised the Jackets won, obviously. The kind of loss they had Friday is usually fatal, or maybe I'm just guilty of seeing everything through a Cleveland lens.

I saw the occasional Jackets fan say they would rather have the chance at the #1 pick than a remoter chance of winning the Stanley Cup (particularly in a season with no fans), but these games are the reason you become a fan in the first place, not the draft. Having said that, the Penguins or Rangers will probably get that pick.

• PlaysWithSwagger said... (original post)Well, I'm surprised the Jackets won, obviously. The kind of loss they had Friday is usually fatal, or maybe I'm just guilty of se...

I think that's the very occasional fan. I think the major majority wanted to win.

• DoggyII said... (original post)I think tanking in the NFL is harder than it is in the NHL. Obviously the players have their pride and play hard to the end but the Trade Deadline i...

The only thing i would interject is the Freddie Kitchens factor. You can have a coach be so disruptive that the team can't help but lose to get the first pick.

• ejester said... (original post)The only thing i would interject is the Freddie Kitchens factor. You can have a coach be so disruptive that the team can't help but lose to get ...

And I believe we still won six games which meant #10 overall, not #1. So just proved my point. So hard to tank in football.

• PlaysWithSwagger said... (original post)Having said that, the Penguins or Rangers will probably get that pick.

Is there a consensus #1 guy?

• Great. If the Pens get him there most certainly is no justice in this world.

• FestivusRules said... (original post) Is there a consensus #1 guy?

Alex Lafreniere is the consensus #1. The top three also include 6'4" center Quninton Byfield and Tim Stutzle out of Germany.

• Lafreniere is supposedly not a generational player like Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid but he is projected to be a very good top line forward for many years.
    • Byfield is a "man" with his size (6'4", 215 Lbs) at his age (not quite 18) but he is currently playing vs boys. I don't think he has Lafreniere's skill/playmaking ability and he has to prove he can be as effective when playing against the big boys but he certainly looks promising.
    • Stutzle intrigues me the most. He had a solid World Juniors and was very productive in his rookie year in Germany. The DEL might not be as good as other pro leagues (but better than the Canadian Juniors Lafreniere and Byfield played in) but Stutzle was already playing vs men while Lafreniere and Byfield were playing against boys. Lafreniere is considered the #1OA but I have heard some say Stutzle might end up being the better pro over the course of their career.

• DoggyII said... (original post)And I believe we still won six games which meant #10 overall, not #1. So just proved my point. So hard to tank in football.

We seemed to do it rather easily in ‘15 and ‘16. Put horrendous Qb’s on the field and give them no one to throw to

• Can't say I follow the NHL like I used to, not even close. But it's always good to see the Isles in the playoffs. They've been pretty awful since the ownership turnover in the mid-90s but new ownership in the past couple of years finally brought in some legit front office and coaching talent. Plus they did the right thing and got out of Brooklyn. I seriously doubt they can take out the Caps (let alone make a deep run in the playoffs), but if anyone knows the Caps, it's Trotz.

• Love this thread! Longtime Hockey lover and big Jackets fan; never thought they’d recover from Friday night. Glad to be wrong. And, Doggyll, I religiously follow your takes; you are a “true” hockey aficionado!

• pmars64 said... (original post)Can't say I follow the NHL like I used to, not even close. But it's always good to see the Isles in the playoffs. They've been pretty ...

The Isle are a dangerous team. I wouldn’t count them out. Made for the playoffs

• 54321TouchdownBrowns said... (original post)The Isle are a dangerous team. I wouldn’t count them out. Made for the playoffs

Yeah as a Caps fan I wasn't thrilled to face either them or the Canes.

• 54321TouchdownBrowns said... (original post)The Isle are a dangerous team. I wouldn’t count them out. Made for the playoffs

Agree

• CBJ and Bolts play tomorrow (Tuesday at 3PM). Yuck! CBJ getting hosed with a quick turnaround.

• So the Rags won the lottery. Honestly of all the teams eligible they deserved it. Neither 5 seed the fell on their faces did. And the Rags well, with all the " Canes can't solve the goaltending" Panarin and Zibenijad are the 2 best players in this series" "Rags in 4" "Canes will be lucky to not get swept" crap that was floating around before the series for them to crawl back to NY with their tails between their legs realizing just how far away they are, they needed help!

This post was edited by dmnc94 1 month ago

• Hittsall said... (original post)Love this thread! Longtime Hockey lover and big Jackets fan; never thought they’d recover from Friday night. Glad to be wrong. And, Doggyll, I reli...

Thanks. I love hockey but there are other people on here that know a heck of a lot more than I do!

• Just glad the Penguins didn't win the lottery. Really didn't want Edmonton or Winnipeg to win it either. Don't really care about the rangers either way.

• Hmm Rangers get the #1 pick.
    https://es.pn/33QfzTt

• Not thrilled that the Rangers got the #1 pick, but I am thrilled that the Pens got #15. Screw them and their yellow vermin fans that infest Columbus and the arena every time they're in town.

Rangers? They're a big city team that's able to attract guys like Panarin. Can't do much about that but it would be nice if they didn't also get the luck of the ping pong ball.

• Well that sucked

• I'm loving the afternoon starts. Didn't like missing the 1st period but I'll take having it to rush home to rather then being hyped up into the wee hours of a week night

• Ever feel like you're talking to yourself?

Can't believe CBJ just survived that first OT without controlling the puck seemingly at all. Korpi has turned away 50+ at this point.