Is Baker Mayfield Still Trending In The Right Direction?

Is Baker Mayfield Still Trending In The Right Direction?

• Discussion
  • 95% of the people in the forum would have bet the house against Lamar Jackson having the year he's had and rightfully so.... IMHO

I think its silly and naive to think that Baker can't re-group

Its the RB coach pretending to be a HC that's going to hold him back

• AudieTheGreat said... (original post) 95% of the people in the forum would have bet the house against Lamar Jackson having the year he's had and rightfully so.... IMHOI think ...

And the insurance salesman pretending to be an offensive coordinator... and the XFL backup pretending to be a QB coach...

• Mayfield will eventually figure it out. Probably will be the Browns starter for a long time.

However , I don’t think he will be a top 5 QB .

He will likely fall into the second group of QBs that aren’t elite but are good.

It’s really hard to predict because of the built-in bias associated with being a Browns fan .

This post was edited by TheShank 1 month ago

• Mayfield does have work to do, as does any NFL QB. His main problem imo is his mechanics. He left his QB guru in Oklahoma last year and came to us with near perfect mechanics. It has ebbed since then. I see his footwork is off on many throws. Throwing too far off his back foot too far. He would be wise to get back with Riley or another QB guru in the offseason.

• AudieTheGreat said... (original post) 95% of the people in the forum would have bet the house against Lamar Jackson having the year he's had and rightfully so.... IMHOI think ...

it's amazing what happens when an offensive system is designed to take advantage of a player's strength/s instead of doing the old round peg/square hole routine.

• He’s trending in a horizontal direction. Which is not good.

• His stock’s value was on a steady rise until September when it took a pretty nasty drop and while it has recovered some since then it’s still worth considerably less than it was at this time last year.

This post was edited by Hiko 1 month ago

• I still believe Baker is the real deal . Off year for a lot of reasons . Hes nothing like anything we’ve had in 30 years here IMO . Only better

• I think the coaching and scheme have been substandard. But I think much of his regression is on him. Whether or not Freddie told him to forget about football, he thought he could pick it up where he left it last year. That isn’t how it works. Anyone competing at that level knows that in the off season you work to improve. I think in the glow of his celebrity and adulation, he forgot what got him here. I do like his commercials though.

• Baker might be better in a different uniform,

• mikenn5 said... (original post) I think the coaching and scheme have been substandard. But I think much of his regression is on him. Whether or not Freddie told him to forget abou...

That is what playing with a chip on your shoulder can do . When you are the talk of the town and people are worshiping you , you may not work as hard .

Freddie deserves another year . If baker is not the real deal and is closer to case keenum than drew brees , how can that be Freddie’s fault ?

• good thoughts

• This is something that makes me side more on the vote of no confidence for the man in charge

• DawgsOfCleveland said... (original post) Baker might be better in a different uniform,

IOW.. a differnt HC

• DawgsOfCleveland said... (original post) Baker might be better in a different uniform,

I think folks need to take a breather man

We have talent
    We have the nfls leading rusher
    We have two wrs on track for 1000 yards
    We have the rookie QB td record setter who has produced and been accurate in every place he has been who has struggled this season
    We had the guy who was in the league leader board for sacks prior to suspension
    We have a CB who was a ball hawk and pro bowler last season
    We have an exceptional lber who is playing his **** off
    Former NFL rushing yards leader
    Talent is here
    But the trend of suspensions, lack of development and guys taking a step back, lack of trajectory of development, lack of production despite the talent
    In my opinion this points in one direction
    We have it on the field
    We don't have the right guys in place to make it all work
    Big swing and miss on the coach and it hurt us development and overall production
    That can be addressed
    I think it will be
  • TheShank said... (original post) Mayfield will eventually figure it out. Probably will be the Browns starter for a long time. However , I don’t think he will be a top 5 QB .He wil...

Hey, after the slop we've had dating back to Vinny (whom I thought was good but not great), I'll take #6.

Kosar: One of the best we've seen in our lifetime and should be a HoFer. But I also get the arguments against.

Vinny: Not as good, but a solid starter for 20 years in the NFL.

Couch: Not great, but average. But considering lots of bad things happened to him and he had no line, 64 TD/67 INT isn't horrible.

Baker: Regressed his second year, but has rebounded. My goals for him are to finish with a positive TD/INT ratio and the Browns to finish .500. That way we end on a high note (6-2 finish).

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 1 month ago

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post) Hey, after the slop we've had dating back to Vinny (whom I thought was good but not great), I'll take #6.KosarVinnyCouchBaker

If Couch is a better QB than Baker then we’d best just drag him into the woods and shoot him now.

If you meant that those are the only QBs worth a dam (in no particular order) then that’s another thing.

This post was edited by Hiko 1 month ago

• Its been a rough year for him.

I don't think he prepared for the season well, and couple that with woefully inadequate coaching from Freddie/Monken?Lindley, and this is what you get. A guy that did not progress in areas that he needed work, and has regressed on the things he did very well.

Part on Baker, part is on the coaching staff/system.

• BrownsFan1313 said... (original post) Its been a rough year for him.I don't think he prepared for the season well, and couple that with woefully inadequate coaching from Freddie/M...

Alot of it is on baker.
    But then you take a step back and ask who has improved from last year and who hasn't?
  • Is Mayfiekd trending in the right direction ?? Good God... NO. He’s got to get away from these offensive coaches... I don’t blame it much on him.. which is our saving grace. Thankfully, the reason his career has fallen off the cliff In year two is because of his HC/ OC/ and QB coach.

This post was edited by h8dwg 1 month ago

• BrownsFan1313 said... (original post) Its been a rough year for him.I don't think he prepared for the season well, and couple that with woefully inadequate coaching from Fred...

This is the part that I don’t get . People are just willing to excuse and gloss over baker not preparing properly in the offseason .

An improperly prepared Qb makes the coaching staff look bad .

If baker prepares better , maybe we beat the rams and Seahawks and we are talking about an 8-5 team right now .

So many people have posted that baker didn’t prepare well in the offseason . Is there a quote or admission by baker ?

I don’t think Sean Payton Bill bellicheck John harbaugh have to do anything to get their qb to properly prepare .

• butchfan said... (original post) This is the part that I don’t get . People are just willing to excuse and gloss over baker not preparing properly in the offseason . An improperly ...

I think people just assume he didn't prepare properly, not sure there is any firm evidence though.

He did get married last summer, and went on his honeymoon, and filmed about 25 commercials and did 4 magazine covers. Looked a little chubbier when he came back this season. His play badly regressed this season.Those are the reasons people assume he might not have been as dedicated to his craft as he needed to be.

After winning the heisman, and breaking the rookie passing record, it is understandable if he thought he "arrived" and it was just going to keep getting easier from here on out. That is just human nature. Well he got smacked in the mouth this season, and I expect he will have a different level of committment this offseason.

• OpiesGo said... (original post) I think people just assume he didn't prepare properly, not sure there is any firm evidence though. He did get married last summer, and went on ...

Hopefully his HC won't tell him to get away from football.

• DurlingHeath said... (original post) He’s trending in a horizontal direction. Which is not good.

That's being generous.

If we're talking trends... he's clearly trending down. The eyeball test and stats back this up.

That's not to say he can't trend up in the future, but stating he is now is a lie.

There's been many of breakdowns showing you what his problems are.

I don't see him fixing any of them yet.

This post was edited by Chopper9 1 month ago

• Chopper9 said... (original post) That's being generous. If we're talking trends... he's clearly trending down. The eyeball test and stats back this up. That's ...

I think Mayfield is clearly playing better now than he was early in the season.