Kevin Stefanski Says Baker Mayfield Has The 'It' Factor

Kevin Stefanski Says Baker Mayfield Has The 'It' Factor

• This article does NOTHING to dissuade me that Stefanski will win Coach of the Year and Baker MVP.

• Alpha Dog....and when he can pick up any offense instantly, other players sense it immediately.

• It sound like Baker Mayfield has the "it" factor.

Someone mention the "that" factor.

Does he have the "X" factor.

I hope members got some laughter with the above.

Listening to the head coach - He said Baker Mayfield is a player who will make all the players around him better. Those might not be the exact words, but, if my words or his words end up true, the Cleveland Browns have the QB they want and need.

Looking at the talent on the offensive players, there is real NFL talent on the play makers on offense. If Baker Mayfield can improve the results of those talented players, it would appear there is a pretty positive future for the Cleveland Browns.

• peeode said... (original post)But does he have the "that" factor?

All I know is his coaches had the ‘not’ factor. Suggesting he take the offseason ‘off’ and get away from football completely.. For a young QB in the NFL trying to project his play forward and grow ... can you possibly think of worse advise to give a player ?!?!

• The what factor is on second base. Who factor is on first. The "It" factor is on.....third base.

• Stoopidcantstophopin said... (original post)I never understood the Freddy/Monken marriage. Seemed like a disaster predetermined.

There were stories prior to last season's training camp that Freddie and Monken were not seeing eye-to-eye on the offense. I believe Mary Kay was one of those who gleefully reported it, but most fans including myself just brushed it off as a rumor created for either clickbait or by a disgruntled former coach. (Didn't want anything to rain on our '19 Browns parade.)

Yet, it turned out to be very true. The Freddie and Monken offense was a forced marriage that resulted in a discombobulated mess. Almost everyone on the offense with exceptions of Chubb and Landry took a big step back. They couldn't line-up properly. They couldn't get the play call in on time. The red-zone efficiency plummeted. When things broke down, as they often did, Baker would try to improvise with often disastrous results. Baker going from "emerging NFL superstar" to some people saying he's "bust" within a single year? How the hell did that happen?!!?

If Mayfield, Ward, and Chubb all pan-out (and I believe they will) then John Dorsey's time as GM was not a failure. But his promotion of Freddie and then tying him to Monken laid the groundwork for a humiliating season that eventually cost him his job.

• Yeah: it turns out Dorsey made a bunch of mistakes pertaining to the offense. Forcing Monken on Freddie, moving on from Fells in favor of Harris, eschewing the fullback/H-back: none of these were good. And that’s not even talking about trading Zeitler and hiring Freddie, which didn’t seem as much like mistakes (at the time).

• Ole1Sock said... (original post)Yeah: it turns out Dorsey made a bunch of mistakes pertaining to the offense. Forcing Monken on Freddie, moving on from Fells in favor of Harris, e...

I hate Monken as much as the next guy (probably more), but CLEARLY Freddie needed a vet to guide him. Just not THAT guy.

• Kitchens was in over is head but was never going to admit he needed help. He absolutely couldn't call plays and simultaneously manage the game. He proved himself to be a complete buffoon.

We witnessed some of the most dimwitted coaching moves in the history of the NFL. Dorsey watched it happen and Monken was just a vestigial organ. He wasn't even given the chance.

Everyone got over their skis before the offseason, including Mayfield, and the hubris was toxic.

We saw what Mayfield could do when he had something to prove as a rookie. It's more likely than not, that he's back into prove it mode.

This time around he should thrive in an offense that has better protection, more weapons, and a healthy OBJ. If this offense can make Cousins relevant again, it should do wonders for Mayfield.

• Did anyone ask him if he saw any "mad dogs in a meat-house" on that defense ?

But hey, we're Browns fans. We've heard it all. And then some.

This post was edited by TheShank 5 months ago

• KMSbuck said... (original post)This time around he should thrive in an offense that has better protection, more weapons, and a healthy OBJ. If this offense can make Cousins releva...

LOL Kirk Cousins has never had a season with less than 25 TDs or more then 13 picks as a starter. He's had one season less than 4k yards. He set the market for QB contracts. He's always been relevant. The Deadskins never were.

• ramllov said... (original post)It sound like Baker Mayfield has the "it" factor.Someone mention the "that" factor.Does he have the "X" factor.I hope ...

IIRC, the first Browns QB to be given the “It” factor was Charlie Frye.

But not why I called.

If the Browns have such great offensive skill players (not to mention an improved OL), wouldn’t it stand to reason that THEY will make HIM play better?

• The Quantum Factor!

• BulldogDad said... (original post)I'm really concerned because nowhere did Stefanski mention that Baker had moxie, moxie being that one absolutely required quality for a fran...

Yep. Colt comes to mind.

• "Baker Mayfield has the 'thou' factor."
    -- Martin Buber

• It ..... with a dash of moxie.

• Baker Mayfield had a great rookie season. The coaches and problems with the team did not seem to be much of a problem.

His second season, not so good, some related to him, probably his disappointment in the coaching staff and front office. The OT positions were not improved. Other things.

He is not in his third year with a variety of coaching and scheme changes.

They decided to change his footwork. This is not exactly rebuilding the man from the ground up, but, it definitely is a major change.

He sees and is experiencing a complete change, starting with the coaching. The front office did add the majority of the needed parts to help him excel this season and seasons to come.

He has to produce and he appears to be the right guy and right attitude to do it.

He has a history of hard work to excel. It is now on a higher platform.

How good the Cleveland Browns play in 2020 and the next number of years can't yet be projected. What can be projected is that if Baker Mayfield plays at a high level and continues to improve, the outlook for the Cleveland Browns this year and future years is pretty positive.

• user generated

• DarNoor said... (original post)The what factor is on second base. Who factor is on first. The "It" factor is on.....third base.

Now that is what I was talking about ! Ok, now, where is Pete Rose, and where is Shoeless Joe Jackson ? (and don't say in a corn field in Iowa)

• Manamal said... (original post)The Quantum Factor!

Quarks? Or dilitium crystals....and warp factor 2 Mr. Sulu.....

• ... just so we do not confuse Baker with Clara Bowe "The It Girl."

user generated

• SolitaryConfinement said... (original post)... just so we do not confuse Baker with Clara Bowe "The It Girl."

I’ve seen some old school references but this one would make Johnny Twennies proud.

• DarNoor said... (original post)He also didn't say he felt the earth move. 0-16 here we come.

Been there, done that.
  • Woodlake said... (original post)Nice to learn that Baker has seemingly put in the work this off season. The Front Office, coaching staff, and players all seem very high on him des...

No qb could have had a good session in Cleveland last year. The coaches didn't put him in the right situations. Mayfield will be fine.
  • No essence? No moxi? We're doomed.