Of the players that were here last year, who has progressed?

Of the players that were here last year, who has progressed?

• I'm talking guys who played considerable time last year. I promise I tried to do this agenda-free.

I dont think there's room to argue any of these to be honest. For discussion sake, we certainly can if you'd like. After all, that's why we're here.

Some will say Chubb and he's been fantastic and my favorite current Brown but if you extrapolate his numbers from last year when he didn't start early on, theyre actually slightly better last year.

And this isn't to say any of these players arent good or having a bad year. I'm just asking did any of our guys from last year improve significantly under this coaching staff? I think the answer is shockingly no.

Ok, maybe one. (Schobert) I didn't think it was fair to compare guys who were not here last year to their previous teams but if you wanna go down that road it doesnt look any better.

But only 1 guy is better than last year? Jeez man. Take a look.

Offense:

Baker - No.

Chubb - No.

Jarvis - Negligible.

Higgins - Hell no.

Njoku - Injury so that's a scratch.

Callaway - Hell no.

Ratley - Negligible.

O-line - It can be hard to find subjective stats on these guys but as a unit they gave up 2.5 sacks per game in 2018 and it's 2.5 so far in 2019. I'd say it's overall negligible. Our rushing yards as a team is slightly up so there's that but it's no huge leap or anything.

------------

DEF

Myles - Negligible

Ogunjobi - Negligible.

Joe Scho - Yes

Kirksey - INJ / scratch

Randall - No.

Ward - No.

TJ Carrie - negligible.

Terrance Mitchell - debatable.

• Discussion
  • Thank you for this rubdown. I might say Bitonio has had a slightly better season.

• https://youtu.be/6g9QqqOLR_s

I feel like this guy is one of us.

• Punter

Kicker

ST tackling and less flags

All better ....

and I would strongly argue that Ol’ Sock has upped his game from last season ..

• Nick Chubb definitely has. Despite the offense around him, Chubb actually looks better.

Chad Thomas is actually playing pretty well. He didn’t play much if at all last year

Jarvis Landry and Joe Schobert are also having better seasons. But they are both just vets.

I’m not against Freddie Kitchens at all. I wouldn’t mind keeping him. But few players from last season really improved. I mean I don’t know what the hell happened with Higgins or Callaway.

• SeattleBrowns said... (original post) Thank you for this rubdown. I might say Bitonio has had a slightly better season.

I’m thinking Mary K is looking up Freudian slips right now ...

• SirDiggs said... (original post) Punter Kicker ST tackling and less flags All better .... and I would strongly argue that Ol’ Sock has upped his game from last season ..

I'm talking about individual players who have progressed from last year. The punter and kicker werent here.

• KardiacKidd43 said... (original post) Nick Chubb definitely has. Despite the offense around him, Chubb actually looks better.Chad Thomas is actually playing pretty well. He didn’t ...

Again, not looking at players having good years, we know Chubb and Landry are. I'm asking about progress. Do they look better? If you look at his (Chubb's) starts from last year and compare them to this year, 2019 is actually slightly lower in terms of TDs, YPC and rushing yardage overall. But it's not much which is why I gave Chubb a "No". Same goes for Landry - the numbers are about the same. Some of this can change with 3 games left but I think most see the point here. On an individual basis, none of our players seemed to have gotten any better from last season.

And Thomas is a guy I dldnt look at because of what you said, he barely played. Who knows what he looks like if he played last year. Too hard to make a fair comparison.

• SirDiggs said... (original post) Punter Kicker ST tackling and less flags All better .... and I would strongly argue that Ol’ Sock has upped his game from last season ..

I battled. I did some good things.

This post was edited by Ole1Sock 1 month ago

• KardiacKidd43 said... (original post) Nick Chubb definitely has. Despite the offense around him, Chubb actually looks better.Chad Thomas is actually playing pretty well. He didn’t ...

Yea...shocking Callaway and Higgins become non factors when you get Odell Beckham. Not too mention the injuries and off field stuff. Shocking hammer
  • Chad Thomas has been a pleasant surprise lately. Denzel Ward has had a sophomore slump as bad as Baker, in my opinion.

• PFF grades would at least quantify improvement or regression.

Mayfield- regressed

Chubb- slight improvement, undermined by poor OL

Landry- slightly improved

Njoku- scratch

Robinson- slightly regressed

Bitonio, Tretter- pretty much the same

Ward- regressed

Garrett- same

Ogunjobi- regressed

Kirksey- scratch

Schobert- improved

Ward- regressed

Randall- regressed

• Vaark said... (original post) PFF grades would at least quantify improvement or regression.Mayfield- regressedChubb- slight improvement, undermined by poor OLLandry- slightly impr...

I think the obvious is there was a disappointing line of trajectory
    It's one thing if it is a player here or there, then you can scratch that up to sophomore slump/reality
    But when you look at the amount of guys who have underperformed you have to ask
    Why?
    It points to the work being done week to week, the preparation, the development the staff is charged with and what they are asked to do and in the system which they operate
  • schafrath said... (original post) Chad Thomas has been a pleasant surprise lately. Denzel Ward has had a sophomore slump as bad as Baker, in my opinion.

But it’s also a case of Baker’s statistics actually being worse than his play and Ward’s few awful games overshadowing his many solid ones. Not to make excuses, but Baker and Ward have overall been above average.

This post was edited by Ole1Sock 1 month ago

• I would say that both Landry and Chubb have more than slightly improved. Chubb is 200+ yards better than last season with 3 games to go and I didn't look at his receiving numbers. Landry has almost as many catches, more yds, more td's and more first down receptions with the same 3 games to go.

• Chubb and Sho. Rest are same or worse

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) But it’s also a case of Baker’s statistics actually being worse than his play and Ward’s few awful games overshadowing his many solid ones. Not to ...

I’m looking more at technique than just pure production. I think they’ve both taken steps backwards in that area. They both seem to have more bad habits than this time last year.

• None of this even matters. Beating the Cardinals & Bengals trump everything. Those would be some impressive wins.

Just imagine all the progress these players could make if Freddie can get another year with them.

Sad thing about this is you could probably explain Chubb & Landry progress because OBJ is on the field.

• Gjerb said... (original post) Chubb and Sho. Rest are same or worse

Take a step back and really take in the talent here and where we are at currently
    Nfls leading rusher
    Former NFL leading rusher
    Two elite wrs
    Guy who was leading the NFL in sacks
    Kid who was a ballhawk and pro bowl CB his rookie year
    Pro bowl lber
    Qb who set the NFL rookie record for tds
    Talent is here -
    Everything has been a disappointment in spite of the wealth of talent
    Why?

This post was edited by JackTBurton 1 month ago

• I think Ward has mostly been pretty good, but his two worst games were very high profile (Tennessee and at Pitt), and I think fans are holding his injury against him as if he asked for it or something.

• The point of the thread is to make Kitchens out to be the misfit toy but you all are looking at it wrong.

Freddie is the same Baker is the same Jarvis is the same and Chubb is the same, what changed?

When you have to force feed an offense through a guy who doesnt practice in pads, doesnt run until Fridays and just doesnt seem to care about winning that is where the problem is.

In doing that everyone suffers including the fans.

The defense has played very well despite what you here in this place. Most every player has gotten better and some like Scho and Myles took monumental leaps in their games.

Once #13 is jettisoned the offense will explode. #13 is a loser and is holding everyone back.

• schafrath said... (original post) I’m looking more at technique than just pure production. I think they’ve both taken steps backwards in that area. They both seem to have more bad ...

As far as tackling is concerned, Ward actually seems to have better habits.

• JackTBurton said... (original post) Take a step back and really take in the talent here and where we are at currentlyNfls leading rusherFormer NFL leading rusherTwo elite wrsGuy w...

'Cause talent does not equate to team. Throwing the coach under the bus is the easy way out.

Personally, I think that if they keep all of those guys mentioned above together and improve in the areas that are really needed (OL, DL depth, S), they'll play much more like the team that we expected to see this season.

• OLROY said... (original post) Yea...shocking Callaway and Higgins become non factors when you get Odell Beckham. Not too mention the injuries and off field stuff. Shocking

Actually there is an argument to be made that due to the amount of attention opposing teams put on OBJ that the benefactors would have been Callaway and or Higgins.

I get what you are saying though

• BuddyCowley said... (original post) 'Cause talent does not equate to team. Throwing the coach under the bus is the easy way out. Personally, I think that if they keep all of ...

So if Browns are solid at every position group we can beat Denver and Pittsburgh back up QB's?