OT: Massive explosion in Beirut, Lebanon

OT: Massive explosion in Beirut, Lebanon

• Looks like a factory or munitions dump went up... And it really went up. Multiple views on this twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1290683055850565637

• Discussion
  • I thought that was just an every day occurrence there.

• They have a munitions dump downtown? Yikes

• JCOSU86 said... (original post)They have a munitions dump downtown? Yikes

Was on a dock. Not sure what it is, but it went up like I would expect a munitions dump to go up. Also, it's Beirut, who knows how many munition dumps are around that place.

• They should consider altering their zoning/land use policies.

• at first I was like ok, that is a big smoldering fire.....but then the Kaboooom!!! That was crazy!

• Alright, I need to go see what kind of conspiracies are on FaceBook now.

• BrownsBot said... (original post)Was on a dock. Not sure what it is, but it went up like I would expect a munitions dump to go up. Also, it's Beirut, who knows how many munit...

Supposedly a fireworks warehouse.

• That was unbelievable

• keato37 said... (original post)That was unbelievable

It really is. Like everyone else I’m like this is some BS video who cares about th...and then boom!

Watched it a few times now, no way thats simply July 4th bottlerockets. The sound, vibration and explosion was way to intense. Feel bad for anyone in the vicinity but man that was some explosion

• rawdawg35 said... (original post)Supposedly a fireworks warehouse.

Wait, seriously? I wouldn't have thought there's a big market in Beirut for explosions for fun. Like trying to sell cruises to passengers who got stuck on those Covid boats. But then again, I'm not sure what to believe or expect of my fellow human beings.

This post was edited by mfs 5 months ago

• ribsnwhiskey said... (original post)It really is. Like everyone else I’m like this is some BS video who cares about th...and then boom!Watched it a few times now, no way thats sim...

It blew out windows about 15 miles away according to some reports.

• rawdawg35 said... (original post)Supposedly a fireworks warehouse.

Yeah, I gotta call BS on that one.

• ribsnwhiskey said... (original post)It really is. Like everyone else I’m like this is some BS video who cares about th...and then boom!Watched it a few times now, no way thats sim...

No kidding! When the camera comes back up after the explosion, some of the nearby buildings that were okay at first now have their tops blown off. At that point, the guy making the video wisely seems to realize that he doesn't want to stick around for a potential stage 3.

You would be surprised. There was a explosion in a fireworks bunker where I live about 20 years ago. I felt it from 5-6 miles away. It was obviously not anything like what I just saw on that video, though. That is insane.

• Reports say it was heard 150 miles away. Insane.

This post was edited by BrownsBot 5 months ago

• BrownsBot said... (original post)Reports say it as heard 150 miles away. Insane.

One of the Tweets in the article I posted said it shattered glass at 10K away.

• mfs said... (original post)No kidding! When the camera comes back up after the explosion, some of the nearby buildings that were okay at first now have their tops blown off. At th...

Got to hand it to the camera guy. Normally it’s infuriating when people cut away at the money shot but in his/her case I’ll give them a pass. Great birds eye view and everything. Anyone within a hAlf mile probably is in a world of hurt right now. Prayers and best wishes be with them.

RawdawG may be right and it is just heavy duty fireworks. All that powder confined to a little place like that I suppose could do it. The shock wave it let off seems like much more though

• The aftermath of the #Beirut explosion on the highway adjacent to the port. God be with us all. #Lebanon pic.twitter.com/eZp2wswPlv— Fady Roumieh (@FadyRoumieh) August 4, 2020

• Sure, it could be fireworks. It's not like that part of the world is known for secret stashes of explosives or anything.

• This reminds me, I watched Die Hard with a Vengeance the other day. Great movie, super holds up, except the final scene, which is complete nonsense. LOL. But all the movie that takes place in NYC is really great. Sam Jackson at the height of his powers.

Relevant bc: lots of downtown explosions.

• Supposedly it was heard in regions of Cyprus over 100 miles away.

Thats no fireworks stash

• When someone said Beirut I first thought of the Marine barracks years ago. RIP and Semper Fi!

• wow