OT: Moving Cross Country

OT: Moving Cross Country

• I'm finally getting out of Rat Country! I've accepted a position in sunny San Diego, CA so naturally I have to plan for a cross-country move from my current home in Maryland. Anyone have any experience with this process and can provide any tips/tricks?

Questions so far:

1. Any recommendations as it pertains to moving companies? The wife is great with organizing/packing but we don't feel like doing any heavy-duty lifting if we can avoid it.

2. We're looking into shipping one of our cars and driving the other. Anybody have experience with a particular car-shipping company that they've had a good experience with?

3. We also have four pets (you read that right; a dog and three cats) and we're looking into shipping the cats and driving with the dog. Suggestions for handling the animal moves or any recommended companies to use for this?

If you guys have any advice on this, I'd really appreciate it!

• Discussion
  • Negotiate with your new employer to pay for the move. My brain hurts just thinking about the logistics. in short, I am no help.

• It's expensive to make that kind of move. Let them pack for insurance purposes, they are pros and will do it better. No offense to the wife but these folks do it every day and have the proper materials at their immediate disposal and making a claim will be much easier if need be. Don't take an old couch, buy new when you get there. Downsize as much as practical before the move. Absolutely negotiate with the moving companies. More often than not your household will be shipped with other households. Be prepared to wait a couple weeks for your stuff to arrive. It will be much cheaper to give the animals up for adoption. True statement but just a joke. Good luck on your adventure, should be fun in the end.

• brbbva said... (original post)Negotiate with your new employer to pay for the move. My brain hurts just thinking about the logistics. in short, I am no help.

Tried. They wouldn’t budge so we’re on our own, unfortunately. I am getting a signing bonus which will help, though.

• MDDawg22 said... (original post)I'm finally getting out of Rat Country! I've accepted a position in sunny San Diego, CA so naturally I have to plan for a cross-country move from m...

Congrats. And I agree with brbbva on downsizing before the move. Donate and use the trash. It will uncomplicate your lives.

No advice on moving companies other than be prepared for a few things to break or get roughed up.

My advice to you is live as close to work as you can afford and get a realtors advice about where. Neighborhoods become street to street in CA big cities. Renting is a good idea before buying even though interest rates are very low now. I assume the SD housing market is very hot right now with high demand and low inventory.
  • Love San Diego even with the traffic and population. Best of luck.

• MDDawg22 said... (original post)Tried. They wouldn’t budge so we’re on our own, unfortunately. I am getting a signing bonus which will help, though.

Congrats! A signing bonus is common in lieu of moving expenses these days. One big piece of advice: Get quotes from several moving companies and tell them all up front that you will not accept any quote unless it has a “not to exceed” (NTE) provision. I learned my lesson the hard way on that one.

I literally told the moving companies I called not to waste both of our time if they weren’t going to include an NTE because I wouldn’t consider their quote without one. Some bowed out right there. Three agreed and two of those actually included it. The third acted as though we’d never had the conversation. Best of luck!

This post was edited by barleydawg 5 months ago

• barleydawg said... (original post)Congrats! A signing bonus is common in lieu of moving expenses these days. One big piece of advice: Get quotes from several moving companies and ...

Great advice, thank you! I’ll make sure I ask for the NTE on any quotes we receive.

• Northcoastoracle said... (original post)Congrats. And I agree with brbbva on downsizing before the move. Donate and use the trash. It will uncomplicate your lives.No advice on mov...

Much appreciated! My wife has family in the Temecula area so we’re scoping out the southern part of town to see if it’ll be feasible for me, commute-wise. Luckily the office isn’t actually in SD proper. It’s a little bit north which should help. I’m still expecting about a 45-50ish minute commute though.

• MDDawg22 said... (original post)Much appreciated! My wife has family in the Temecula area so we’re scoping out the southern part of town to see if it’ll be feasible for me, commut...

Cool that family is close. I know this is not the same area as Socal, but lived 16 miles from my office in Sunnyvale and commuted from the southside of San Jose. The commute was 45 to 50 minutes each way. School buses added 5 to 10 minutes during the school year. Broken down cars and traffic accidents on the highway added at least 25 minutes. Working from at home a couple days a week would add to your life.

My nephew just moved back from Oceanside a few months ago. You will love it there.

This post was edited by Northcoastoracle 5 months ago

• When we moved from Cleveland to Austin, we used this service to move https://www.pods.com/. We sold / donated almost everything (bed, couch, TV, dining table).

• As far as the pets go the easiest is a pet moving service but it’s also the most expensive-they organize everything and you can concentrate on yourselves. Need to check with your local vet for referral. You could also organize their shipment yourself-use United, they have the most reliable pet shipping service. Ideally fly at night due to the heat factor, the airlines won’t take them if it’s over 85. Good luck and welcome to Ca

• I've moved across country 3 times with the new job paying every time. Last time was back to Cali 3 years ago. I lived in Vista, CA and moved to D.C. in 2011. Now an hour North of San Diego near Laguna Beach.

- Depending on how many rooms you have, you are looking at about $10k for everything, including the car (approx. pricing from 2017)

- I never found a moving company that will move plants. You will most likely have to give them away if you have any

- Things we bought new at the new location: plates, pans, spices (kitchen stuff), living room furniture

- We are renting a town home to check out the area. We were going to buy this year but are waiting for the fallout from the current economic situation before purchasing. There could be a big hit in property values in the next year if the administration does not do something about potential foreclosures and evictions

- We have cats. We have always flown them to our destination so I don't know about shipping them. Someone would have to feed/water them daily during the transportation.

- Every company we have dealt with uses local help, even if they are a big company. Think of them as contractors like when you order a HVAC from Sears and get some contractor to install it. You never know who you are going to get. Most likely, if you get two guys, the driver and his companion will do any boxing, loading, and drive it across country. You will interact with them on both ends.

- I made sure to tip the driver after he loaded the truck and before he left. Told him to make sure he gets plenty of snacks driving or something like that. I thought it would make him more likely to treat my stuff with care.

- The last move our furniture got to the house 3 days early and we were not there. At this point they have you hooked. They were going to start charging us daily storage fees and crap like that. Nothing we could do as they had our stuff. Luckily, the real estate agent we hired actually showed up at the house and observed unloading everything into the new home for us. She was a Godsend!

- Get moving insurance. I don't care how reputable a company is stuff happens. Take pictures. Check everything once it arrives. even if you are going to simply store some containers open them and check for broken stuff.

- Don't go cheap on containers. Buy the good ones at Walmart or Target or whatever. Those cheap $5 containers will be stacked and will collapse. Even with the better containers we had a bunch that cracked and had lids smashed.

There is my brain dump. Others' mileage may differ. Good luck!

• Northcoastoracle said... (original post)Cool that family is close. I know this is not the same area as Socal, but lived 16 miles from my office in Sunnyvale and commuted from the ...

My dad commuted from Irvine to LA for 20 years before they moved him out to Palm Springs. From our house to his office in Palm Springs was 99 miles door to door. It took less time than the 50 miles to his office in LA.

• 80sBoy said... (original post)My dad commuted from Irvine to LA for 20 years before they moved him out to Palm Springs. From our house to his office in Palm Springs was 99 miles d...

Now that is a commute. Kudos to your Dad. Was he in the defense industry?

I only did it for 10 years. Working from home is a blessing if anyone has the opportunity.

I had a coworker who drove from Los Banos to Sunnyvale and another from just south of Sacramento. They both only did it for about a year. The Los Banos commuter had the Honda Insight.