OT: The Food, Recipe, Restaurant, Tailgate & Booze Mega Thread

OT: The Food, Recipe, Restaurant, Tailgate & Booze Mega Thread

• Aloha Gang,

I had recently approached Barry because I thought there was a need for a forum that would include all of the above, a active forum that would meet so many of our interest and in some cases needs. He explained that we have many under utilized forums that he was actually thinking about downsizing

He asked me to make a mega thread to include everything that you could put into your body and if it went over well he would allow us to have a separate forum where we could break things down by topics.

We have had many food, restaurant, travel, recipe threads over the years and they have mostly been archived. A forum could actually turn into a OBR cookbook at the very least. There were so many topics over the years that I wish we had access to.

For instance someone shared about a hole in the wall place outside of Sandusky / Cedar Point that they had Pizza with potato chips as a topping there. I ended up going there but can not remember the name of the place or the small town it was located in. I'm sure many of you have similar stories. So lets talk about food and see if we can get a forum of our own. I know there are many of us that like to cook. Let's hear what you got. Thanks.

• Discussion
  • Anyone follow the 3-2-1 method for smoking ribs? What do you add during the 2 phase - apple juice, beer, etc?

• Yes.. I have added brown sugar and honey during phase 2 before wrapping in foil.. I've also just wrapped in foil with nothing else added... Phase 3 is for the BBQ sauce...

• Ribs i dont do. Walleye i grill in a metal basket for a few minutes a side with salt pepper and adobo. Comes out spectacular. Metal basket keeps fish from falling apart.

• Trying beer with 1 rack and cherry soda with another. Didn’t have apple juice. Honey and brown sugar sound good.

• oasis05 said... (original post)

Ribs i dont do. Walleye i grill in a metal basket for a few minutes a side with salt pepper and adobo. Comes out spectacular. Metal basket keeps fish from falling apart.

Walleye caught in Lake Erie?

• CB1971 said... (original post)

Anyone follow the 3-2-1 method for smoking ribs? What do you add during the 2 phase - apple juice, beer, etc?

Parkay margarine (the squeeze bottle one), brown sugar and a rib glaze (I like apple, cherry habanero by Rib Candy or Kosmo's Q).

Trying beer with 1 rack and cherry soda with another. Didn’t have apple juice. Honey and brown sugar sound good.

Cherikee Red Pop I hope

• 4GetChicago said... (original post)

Cherikee Red Pop I hope

Never had Cherikee before.

• So generally 3-2-1 is for spareribs and 2-2-1 for baby backs if you are smoking around 225 - 240F. These times often for me give me ribs that are so fall apart by the end of the wrapped time they are already falling apart which I do not like. I have cut my middle time back to 1 hour or so and then finish unwrapped till they are pulling back from the bone. I like mine so that the rack holds it integrity but easily bites off the bone in one tender chunk.

• Apple juice (or apple sauce), squeeze margarine, brown sugar, honey. I'll add some tiger sauce sometimes for a little kick.

Also, I find that the 3-2-1 method for spare ribs often results in overcooked ribs.

This post was edited by SamAtlanta 1 year ago

• 4GetChicago said... Cherikee Red Pop I hope

Do they still make that? Loved it as a kid.

• 80sBoy said... Do they still make that? Loved it as a kid.

Lizzy Warren approved.

• 80sBoy said... (original post)

4GetChicago said... Cherikee Red Pop I hope Do they still make that? ...

I have some in my garage fridge right now. Only place I find it is at select Marc's and Drug Marts. Found 6ers of it at the eastern Lakewood Drug Mart (there are 2 in Lakewood) recently.

• I swear by Meathead's Memphis dust rub and his technique - https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe

Salt an hour before, rub applied just before they go on the grill.

I use a Camp Chef Woodwind pellet grill and Lumber Jack Char Hickory pellets.

Set to 225 deg., walk away for five hours and they're perfect. As easy as cooking in an oven.

• This thread could use some YBD.

• WestSideBob said... (original post)

I swear by Meathead's Memphis dust rub and his technique - https://amazingrib...

Thanks for the link - good info.

• What kind of smoker do you have ? I bought a RecTec last year and I love cooking on it.

As far as recipes, just check out youtube. For St. Louis style spare ribs I go 3-1.5-1 at 225 F. I agree with a couple of you that a full 3-2-1 tends to over cook the ribs. I like to bite the meat off the bone but not tug on it, and hate it when the meat falls off the bones....it is just not a rib if you can't hold the rib bone in your greasy fingers.

My method:

- Prep ribs however you like, mustard or oil, and whatever rub you like.
    - First 3 hrs, spritz with apple juice about every 30 minutes.
    - Wrap: I put butter and brown sugar on top and bottom. I've used the squeeze butter/parkay too. Easier to apply. Double wrap with Al foil. Wife got some restaurant grade foil for me and that is nice.
    - 1 1/2 hr wrapped, still at 225.
    - Last hour: Unwrap the ribs. I found a glaze recipe, supposed to be a Myron Mixon concoction....this is a large batch and you can cut the portions in half.
    - 1.5 cups of vinegar based (Carolina) BBQ sauce.
    - 1 Cup Hickory BBQ sauce
    - 1 cup ketchup
    - 1 cup Karo syrup
    - 16 oz jar peach preserves

Mix ingredients together and heat almost to boil. Mop the glaze on while it is still warm.

-

• Yo Barry, mods, and all official Pubahs. Just a thought....

How hard would it be to create a board just for cooking threads?

You call it....."Dawg Food".....or some such.

Just a thought. Would be a lot easier than OTs is the cooler. And I bet you would have a lot of traffic. biggrin

• Diamondback102 said... (original post)

What kind of smoker do you have ? I bought a RecTec last year and I love cooking on it.

As far as recipes, just check out youtube. For St. Louis style spare ribs I go 3-1.5-1 at 225 F. I agree with a couple of you that a full 3-2-1 tends to over cook the ribs. I like to bite the meat off the bone but not tug on it, and hate it when the meat falls off the bones....it is just not a rib if you can't hold the rib bone in your greasy fingers.

My method:

- Prep ribs however you like, mustard or oil, and whatever rub you like.

- First 3 hrs, spritz with apple juice about every 30 minutes.

- Wrap: I put butter and brown sugar on top and bottom. I've used the squeeze butter/parkay too. Easier to apply. Double wrap with Al foil. Wife got some restaurant grade foil for me and that is nice.

- 1 1/2 hr wrapped, still at 225.

- Last hour: Unwrap the ribs. I found a glaze recipe, supposed to be a Myron Mixon concoction....this is a large batch and you can cut the portions in half.

- 1.5 cups of vinegar based (Carolina) BBQ sauce.

- 1 Cup Hickory BBQ sauce

- 1 cup ketchup

- 1 cup Karo syrup

- 16 oz jar peach preserves

Mix ingredients together and heat almost to boil. Mop the glaze on while it is still warm.

-

Using a kamado grill. Ribs turned out great today. Put a pan of baked beans with bacon in for the last 2.5 hrs - those were very good also.

Using a kamado grill. Ribs turned out great today. Put a pan of baked beans with bacon in for the last 2.5 hrs - those were very good also.

Sounds wonderful....

Did you see my post about making an entire board dedicated to cooking ? What else have you done. Brisket ? I have done several flats and have tried injecting. Smoked salmon is a no-brainer. almost as easy as 3-2-1 ribs. Good cooking Man.

• Diamondback102 said... (original post)

Sounds wonderful....

Did you see my post about making an entire board dedicated to cooking ? What else have you done. Brisket ? I have done several flats and have tried injecting. Smoked salmon is a no-brainer. almost as easy as 3-2-1 ribs. Good cooking Man.

I did see the post and think it’s a good idea. I like hearing what other people have tried. Ribeye steaks are our favorite on the kamado so far. Burgers also seem juicier than on my old gas grill. We did a pan of mac n cheese the last time we did ribs - that turned out really good also, nice smoky flavor. We’ve done brats and a few pizza’s on the grill also. Got it last summer. Brisket might be the next thing I try on the grill.

• 80sBoy said... (original post)

This thread could use some YBD.

The Best

• I run a Bbq truck, I agree that 2-2-1 is the best. I use butter, some rub, and Apple juice in phase 2, spritz in phase 1 and 3. To me 'fall of the bone' is overdone.

Edit to say that's at about 250 degrees smoker

This post was edited by BigBlueMutt 1 year ago

• 80sBoy said... This thread could use some YBD.

Somebody should call the fargin' grumpy ol' bastige!
  • 2-2-1 for baby back ribs. Remove the membrane. Dry rub, no sauce. Spritz some apple juice when you do the wrap. Apple/Cherry wood mix for the smoke.