OT: The Food, Recipe, Restaurant, Tailgate & Booze Mega Thread

OT: The Food, Recipe, Restaurant, Tailgate & Booze Mega Thread

• NCSDawg said... (original post)That sounds like it would be awesome on a prime rib! How heavy do you go on the espresso beans?

I use espresso on most of my beef smokes. I do just a simple SPOG rub then lightly dust with fine espresso powder to coat it. Money on short ribs and brisket and clod. Tasty and makes an unbelievable bark. Here’s a shoulder clod I did using that rub. user generateduser generateduser generateduser generated

This post was edited by jcam222 6 months ago

• PS- I had YBD’s ribs at the first Bernies insiders meet at camp (jeez.... like 15 years ago) and that guy could cook. Saw his name up thread. Anyone know his where abouts?

Wish I did. Miss the old timers for this place
  • You guys know your grilling & smoking.

I have a grill with a smoker section and I'm reluctant to use it on a nice cut of meat because the thermometer is seems broke and I don't want to serve under cooked meat.

One recipe I have made several times and will be making again next week is keto grilled portobello mushrooms with fresh spinach and manchego cheese. I'll try to post photo's later.

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with fresh spinach and shaved Manchego cheese

INGREDIENTS:

12 medium-sized portobello mushrooms wiped clean. I actually prefer the large portobello's as opposed to stacking the smaller ones. I'll use 4-6 large ones instead.

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 teaspoon kosher salt. ( I like Celtic sea salt )

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 pound baby spinach washes and dried

4 ounces Manchego cheese thinly sliced

Sherry vinaigrette, recipe follows

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives for garnish optional

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat grill to high. Brush mushroom caps on both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill cap side down until slightly charred about 4-5 minutes. turn mushrooms over and continue grilling until just cooked through about 3-4 minutes.

2. If using the smaller mushrooms stack the ingredients on each of 4 salad plates starting with a mushroom cap, a slice of cheese, some spinach and a drizzle of vinaigrette. Add another mushroom cap, more vinaigrette, spinach, and another slice of cheese. Place a third mushroom cap on top and finish by drizzling with vinaigrette and garnishing with chopped chives if desired. Enjoy

Sherry Vinaigrette:

1 small shallot finely chopped

1/4 cup sherry or balsamic vinegar ( I use balsamic vinegar )

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard. ( I like to mix it up sometimes Dijon sometimes Stadium mustard).

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup olive oil

Whisk together the shallot, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified.

This recipe taste great it's really fresh and the Manchego is a must!

This post was edited by dapound 6 months ago

• dapound said... (original post)You guys know your grilling & smoking.I have a grill with a smoker section and I'm reluctant to use it on a nice cut of meat because the th...

Buy a remote thermometer with a few probes. They are relatively inexpensive and will take your cooking to a new level. You can monitor your cooking temp with one and the meat with others. Managing both is what yields awesome meats. Happy to recommend some of you want.

• Keto Jamaican jerk day. Jerk marinated chops from a hog I just picked up last week. Jamaican spicy sweet cabbage and a coconut curry cauliflower rice. Dressed the chop up with a little homemade jerk bbq. The whole hog I bought is my first time for local fresh pork. It won’t be the last, Ive never had juicer more tender chops. 155 lbs of finished meat for the freezer for $250. Cant believe I’ve not bought it sooner. I’ll edit with a link to my recipes later. user generatedhttps://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/jamaican-feast-jerk-chops-and-more.300527/#post-2119626

This post was edited by jcam222 5 months ago

• Diamondback102 said... (original post)Sounds wonderful....Did you see my post about making an entire board dedicated to cooking ? What else have you done. Brisket ? I have done se...

Just my opinion, but go out of your way to get a full packet or even point only if you can find them. Done right they're just butter. Costco sells prime briskets now at a pretty good price. Good meat helps so much.
  • BigBlueMutt said... (original post)Just my opinion, but go out of your way to get a full packet or even point only if you can find them. Done right they're just butter. Costc...

Amen, prime brisket is so much easier and consistent good results.

• jcam222 said... (original post)Buy a remote thermometer with a few probes. They are relatively inexpensive and will take your cooking to a new level. You can monitor your cooking ...

Thanks! I have a meat thermometer I use in the house but don't know if it would work out doors. What would you recommend?

• I use this one. I like it because i can carry the monitor around inside or out, alarms for when meat is up to temp, and a second probe for another piece of meat, but more importantly for me to keep an eye on grill temp. DO NOT TRUST THERMOMETER on your grill!! There are cheaper versions of this, but I use them a lot, so was worth the investment. It's especially important when I use my reverse flow stick burner since there is no automatic temp control, but even with my top of the line pellet smoker the attached thermometer isn't that accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wireless-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B01GE77QT0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1J96759QQCK9C&dchild=1&keywords=grill+thermometer&qid=1596980458&sprefix=grill+th%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-5

• dapound said... (original post)Thanks! I have a meat thermometer I use in the house but don't know if it would work out doors. What would you recommend?

That one Bigblue linked is a nice unit. I used one of those a long time. Way more intuitive to use than the Maverick units. Look at Inkbird on Amazon as well. They are putting out some nice units too. They run special pretty frequently.

• Stoopidcantstophopin said... (original post)I got convinced to get a Pitboss pellet. One of the guys used to do cater BBQ. It's awesome and easy. Love the apple pellets the m...

Thank you. How is the quality of the construction with the Pitboss grills?

• 80sBoy said... (original post)Thank you. How is the quality of the construction with the Pitboss grills?

It's good quality. Not built with cheap materials.

• Stoopidcantstophopin said... (original post)It's good quality. Not built with cheap materials.

Okay, possibly last question. How long does a pellet grill take to heat up to direct grill something? I may not need a propane grill at all if it is not too slow to heat.

• 80sBoy said... (original post)Okay, possibly last question. How long does a pellet grill take to heat up to direct grill something? I may not need a propane grill at all if it is ...

It's longer than propane but shorter than charcoal. What model you want depends on the size. Temp control is a piece of cake and I love the heavy iron grates as opposed to foofy ceramic or aluminum grates on most propanes.

Once you get one and experiment with different meats and pellet flavors you'll be hooked. Less Mod time and more time on smoking sites

One thing I recommend...and I believe that you're in Florida. Pay attention to the directions. Moisture and humidity can jam up the pellets in the feeder auger if you leave them after cooking.

• I have thought about checking out the pellet units, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of the cooker keeping the temps. I'm thee type that likes to mess and experiment with things. I also feel like keeping the temps right on a charcoal grill an art. In fact it took me some time for me to get a remote thermometer. I guess for me it's like a sacred ritual that I enjoy. I can put my grill anywhere in the yard so it can be fairly close to me while pitching horeshoes, playing games and being part of the gathering. When It's just me and the wife the grill is on my deck. A good charcoal chimney the coals will be hot pretty fast, faster than using charcoal lighter when used correctly. Also for me grilling is fun and it doesn't feel like a job or a hassle.

• P O PUPPY said... (original post)I have thought about checking out the pellet units, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of the cooker keeping the temps. I'm thee type t...

Totally get that. I've been a Weber guy for years and years. But smoking with pellets is more forgiving when I'm cooking for 8+ hours and the pellets make it so much easier without the hassle. I was reluctant at first.

Also, grilling is nice as you learn how to control the temp/hotter areas just like you would on any grill.

• 80sBoy said... (original post)Okay, possibly last question. How long does a pellet grill take to heat up to direct grill something? I may not need a propane grill at all if it is ...

A pellet grill should do everything for you. You really should check out Rec Tec before you make your final decision. Superior materials and controller

• BigBlueMutt said... (original post)Just my opinion, but go out of your way to get a full packet or even point only if you can find them. Done right they're just butter. Costc...

Oh Yes. I am still learning the basics....like, what part of the cow , when cut up properly, produces rib-eye steaks, or prime rib, or t-bones..

]And, pigs.... like, that a "Boston Butt" is actually the pig's shoulder....pulled pork.

I think we have demonstrated that there are enough regulars in The Watercooler, who really love to cook, drink, work in the garden, drink, cook, drink.....

That there should be a forum for this. Go back and look how many hits you have on the "VIP" forums.......and this was just a one-of OT post.

And hey Barry, You include pets too.....food, booze, beer, wine, pets (especially dogs), gardening, ......

It really cannot cost that much to create a new forum.

• 80sBoy said... (original post)Thank you. How is the quality of the construction with the Pitboss grills?

STOP. STOP. STOP !! REC TEC. Nothing compares.....well they do, just not very well.

The Rec Tec grills are 100% stainless steel. I bought a RT-700 about a year and half ago, and it is bullet proof.

All of the other "compettive" pellet grills are built with LOTS of regular, "plain", steel components.... "plain steel" rusts.....and quickly....usually within a couple years,,,,

The RecTecs are 100% stainless steel. And their customer service is the best.

What NOT to buy...Treager.....absolutely cheap, crap......the entire cooking box, frame, lid, grates, legs, the bolts that hold the legs to the frame, are plain steel.

A Trager in NE Ohio will disintegrate within 3-4 years. A REC TEC RT-700 should last 15 -20 years, and you can call Ray's number and somebody answers, yes, real human, answers the phone.

• The outdoor cooking options that I currently have.

Kamado Joe: best for high temperature cooks or shorter smokes. If I had to choose only one smoker it would be the Joe. Green Eggs have their fans but the Joe is the better value.

Weber Bullet: Ideal for low and slow. I retrofitted it with a BBQ Guru temperature control unit a few years back. Major upgrade for convenience especially during long smokes.

Masterbuilt gas smoker with a third party cold smoker (Smoke Daddy) add on: Best for cold smoking (which I do little of) or smoking for a crowd. I can easily jam twelve rib racks in it.

Weber Genesis Gas Grill: 2002 vintage and still going strong, my go-to when I’m either lazy or pinched for time. Added a Cave Tools smoking box a couple of years ago which was a good upgrade.

This post was edited by IkoIko 5 months ago

• I try not to overthink this stuff. I don’t have a smoker, only a Weber stainless grill. Does everything just fine. I can throw in some wood chips if I want to get crazy but I seldom do that.

I’ll cook my ribs wrapped in foil with one burner in low. About 225 to 250. I’ll rub them with olive oil and throw in some onions and garlic. Cook for about 3 hours. Open them up for the sauce. Turn up the heat and crisp them just a bit. It’s easy and they’re awesome.

Thought about getting a smoker but I don’t have a lot of patio space and I just don’t like spending money on stuff like that. I love my grill. It’s seasoned nicely and cooks to perfection.

• NCSDawg said... (original post)That sounds like it would be awesome on a prime rib! How heavy do you go on the espresso beans?

Pretty heavy, to form a good bark. I like to dry rub it at least 12 hours before smoking
  • Lots of great dishes in here. I started a container garden this year. And grew some Boston pickles .

I tried the following recipe and the results blew me away. These refrigerator pickles are far superior to any you buy in a jar . And they just take a few minutes to make. Let sit for at least 24 hours in fridge .

I’ve experimented by adding extra garlic, dill and onions.

You really can’t go wrong with these.

These fresh crispy garlicky pickles complement all kinds of dishes . And are great by themselves too.

https://www.aspicyperspective.com/best-homemade-refrigerator-pickles/

This post was edited by TheShank 5 months ago

• Stoopidcantstophopin said... (original post)Totally get that. I've been a Weber guy for years and years. But smoking with pellets is more forgiving when I'm cooking for ...

The SnS cooking tool for a Weber kettle realy transforms it into something that can do long cooks with a stable temp. The Vortex is great too, but it it for really hot cooks...fantastic chicken wings & thighs.

• CB1971 said... (original post)Never had Cherikee before.

It's a strawberry cream soda.