OT-Indians - Baseball fun - 60 game season.

OT-Indians - Baseball fun - 60 game season.

• The Cleveland Indians are now 2-1. They will be tested the next two games, starting their fourth and fifth starters in the rotation.

All major league teams have at least one loss, in the opening partial week.

There are some baseball commentators saying a 30-30 team could make the playoffs.

The potential improvement in the Cleveland Indians offense in 2020 might come from the outfield.

There appear more than three quality outfielders this season, with a few on the cab squad.

If the Cleveland Indians starting rotation stays healthy and don't get hurt, they have a pretty good shot in a good season and making the playoffs.

Some teams are having problems with their rotations, since many have been suffering injuries and health. I call the virus health and injury is the other stuff.

We saw Singer on Saturday, this was a rookie pitcher that was not expected to be part of the rotation till later in the season if at all. May, opening day pitcher for the LA Dodgers was another rookie pitcher who was thought as a potential 5th starter or 6th starter. Some other members might want to discuss other teams' rotations, such as Houston, who lost Verlander (sp) with a slight injury, which might be more or less, but miss a few weeks or more. They have some depth at starters, but, it is always tough to replace one of their best starters.

Ramirez got off to a nice start today. Zimmer is back and might still be a bit of an unknown.

The infield, catcher and DH is pretty solid, it just depends upon how solid the contribution will be from the outfielders. It is early, but, it should be a fun watch for at least the first 30 to 40 games, since there are not going to be any preseason football games.

Just a side note: I found out pretty quickly three pitchers, two starters and one relief pitcher, I expected to contribute at the start of the season, started the season on the IR. Some rookie pitchers are being held back a week or more to keep an extra minor league season of control. The major league baseball is just like the NFL, it is a serious business and how good the front office is does make a difference as to how successful the team will be.

• Discussion
  • @Ramilov

“ There are some baseball commentators saying a 30-30 team could make the playoffs.”
    —————————————

Well 16 teams are going to qualify. So I wouldn’t be shocked to see losing teams in the playoffs.

• What I find interesting about this season, is it is two seasons.

The strength of the team at the end of the regular season is going to be more important than the strength at the beginning. It will be nice to get off to a good start, but, so many young players being developed over the 60 games could alter the strength of teams in the second 2020 season, meaning those teams that get to the playoffs. They all start off 0-0 and I believe their are no bye teams at the start of the playoffs.

• This will be a grind. 35 games in 38 days. Pitching wins playoff series, glad we seem to have a lot of quality right now.

• Is there a good forum anywhere for Tribe talk?

I used this site's Tribe boards daily until they closed up shop a couple months ago. Looking for a new home.

• mooseahoy said... (original post)Is there a good forum anywhere for Tribe talk? I used this site's Tribe boards daily until they closed up shop a couple months ago. Looking f...

• I've never been a baseball fan. My number one complaint was the amount of games made each one feel unimportant. Way too many. 60 games , to me is way better. Again, just to me. Now like football, every game matters. I actually watched some Indians and have been interested. Hopefully the playoffs won't be endless 7 game series, My opinion would be one game , then 3, than 5, than 7 for the World Series . Anyways, non-baseball fan kind of getting sucked in.

• mooseahoy said... (original post)Is there a good forum anywhere for Tribe talk? I used this site's Tribe boards daily until they closed up shop a couple months ago. Looking f...

Real Cavs Fans has a great Tribe board.

• Tribe pitching is amazing. The FO is amazing. Bauer and Kluber gone, no big deal.

Antonetti and Chernoff have been great, given the limited resources. Let’s see that so-called wonder boy Theo Epstein do the same with the same payroll...

I have a feeling that we will be talking a lot of Indians baseball here for a while.

Feel free to start a topic here if you wish. I don’t even think you have to mark it as OT, at least until the Browns start playing. Just put Tribe or Indians in the title of the post and we’re good.

This post was edited by JerrySherk 2 months ago

• I don't know how much Cleveland Browns media will be available. The interviewing of players and coaches. The OBR representative getting a chance to see some practice.

I have always used baseball as a bridge from the draft to the start of the season.

There are sites that cover the Cleveland Indians.

I figure a few threads on the watercooler for this shorten season could be a nice bridge till the real games start in the NFL.

We can talk about the virus happening in baseball. It appears one has happened with the Miami major league team either last night or just prior. I just read a short note and not enough to discuss it now.

One item about the NFL and the Cleveland Browns. They will be watching the MLB and NBA and seeing how virus events happen.

Players and all others associated with the teams have to be very careful.

A healthy pitching staff today, could contact the virus tomorrow.

• Will be interesting to see how the Miami situation plays out. They had to postpone tonights Home opener as 8 player & 2 coaches tested positive Sunday

• As much as it’s going to suck watching Frankie get traded, this team is still set up to compete for a while with this young starting pitching and a few key pieces locked up long term (namely Ramirez and Reyes). Plus some lively bullpen arms and prospects rising fast (Johnson, Jones, Freeman).

With Frankie likely traded this offseason (and Santana and Hand trade possibilities as well with expensive options) this season is as much about winning as it is sorting through the young guys to determine which are core pieces so they can supplement with the incoming infusion of young talent from the impending trade(s).

Is Mercado for real? Is Zimmer healthy? Is Daniel Johnson ready? Can those 3 and Reyes be your OF/DH of the present and future?

Jones is the future at 3B. Jose would move to 2nd. Can Chang handle post-Frankie SS, at least until Freeman is ready? Or do they target a major league SS in any Frankie trade? Can Bobby Bradley handle 1B if they trade Santana? Or is 1B another target in trades?

Perez is just coming into his own at C and has two more affordable option years after this one on his deal.

And that’s where the pitching comes in.
    Bieber, Plesac, Civale and even Carrasco are all under team control for 3+ years after this one. Clevinger has 2 more arbitration years after this one but they’ll be expensive. They also have prospect arms in McKenzie, Allen and Moss at AAA. It’s important for Civale and Plesac to have strong sophomore seasons this year to fortify this young group as 5 strong. If that happens, the FO could definitely deal some starting pitching to fill in some other gaps as well (say Clevinger for an established MLB SS or 1B and a bullpen arm and then call up one of the AAA arms).

And the bullpen has lively young arms in Karinchak, Hill and Clase to build around. It’s important for Karinchak and Hill to establish themselves as trusted back end guys this year, as one of them may be closing next year (since Clase is missing a year of development this year).

——
    This was a long winded way of saying I love the young talent on this team. The FO has done a tremendous job. And if they play the Frankie trade right, I think they can stay competitive even without Frankie.

• Ramirez looking like old self. Hope this continues.

• ZinAZ said... (original post)Will be interesting to see how the Miami situation plays out. They had to postpone tonights Home opener as 8 player & 2 coaches tested positive Su...

MLB is holding an emergency meeting this afternoon. I am guessing the upshot will be the end of the 2020 season. And I simply can't see a way the NFL or CFB will be able to go off.

• Bigfist said... (original post)MLB is holding an emergency meeting this afternoon. I am guessing the upshot will be the end of the 2020 season. And I simply can't see a way t...

The at risk folks around the country and in nursing homes need those tests more than professional athletes.
    I say forego the testing for pro athletes or just lock it all down.

• TheShank said... (original post)The at risk folks around the country and in nursing homes need those tests more than professional athletes. I say forego the testing for pro athlet...

This is where we blame sports for the state governments refusing to order tests? Again?!

• I'm getting flashbacks of 1994. When the Indians had one of the top teams in Baseball and there wasn't a World Series that year. That should have been our year!!!

This post was edited by revjj 2 months ago

• Bigfist said... (original post)MLB is holding an emergency meeting this afternoon. I am guessing the upshot will be the end of the 2020 season. And I simply can't see a way t...

If MLB didn't anticipate something like this was going to happen, then they should shut down. The 30 man reserve roster was created for this type of scenario. So we'll see whether they employ that or do something more drastic.

• revjj said... (original post)I'm getting flashbacks of 1994. When the Indians had one of the top teams in Baseball and there wasn't a World Series that year. That should ...

We're cursed I tell you. Cursed !

• TomServo said... (original post)This is where we blame sports for the state governments refusing to order tests? Again?!

I would like to see sports as much as anyone. But there are big drains right now on the health care systems .

I just think having sports added into the mix of using limited resources , is a bad idea. And a luxury we can do without for one season.

The priorities should be based on beating this thing . Not business as usual.

At this point, its just silly wishful thinking imo.

This post was edited by TheShank 2 months ago

• I've heard from numerous infection disease experts on this site that wearing a mask doesn't help, no long term effects are associated with this virus, and NFL football will be played. Nothing to see here folks move along.

• The event in Miami might be a situation that eventually benefits the league, NBA and NFL.

A league, the union, team, players have procedures and rules that need to be observed.

No matter how hard they stress the safety, if someone does not follow the rules outlined something like this could happen.

It has happened early in one league.

When they find out what happened, maybe it will be an overall benefit for this league and other leagues to take it a bit more serious.

There are many unknowns.

A fast reaction is not going to happen.

There are reasons why teams have 30 players and another 30 players are a secondary pool.

The NFL gets to watch the MLB and NBA.

The NFL players association is keeping the NFL players up-to-date. No one wants to be the start of a problem.

There is a lot of learning still to be done.

One note on the USA and other countries working on the cure for the virus. There is always the chance with so much money and research being conducted other benefits will be discovered. There is a great amount of money being placed into the research.

• With this shortened season it was so important to start strong. I’ll take 4-1 at this point. Every game is worth 3. It’s like we’re 12-3.

This team is going to win a lot of 5-3, 4-2 games.

• FestivusRules said... (original post)With this shortened season it was so important to start strong. I’ll take 4-1 at this point. Every game is worth 3. It’s like we’re 12-3.This ...

I checked in and out of the doubleheader games yesterday, and saw Mr. Hand was up to his usual tightrope act before finally getting the save. It must have been really anxiety-producing because everyone in that ballpark must have fainted...I couldn't see a body, anywhere!