Tannehill

Tannehill

Arrow9
  • Its amazing how a QB like Tannehill suddenly has a rebirth with the Titans. Funny thing is, he was never a 'bad' QB. Threw twice as many touchdowns as interceptions and over 4000 yards twice. Yet when Gase took over, he suddenly became expendable. Now, in a system that is based on defense and running the ball, and a good coach like Vrabel, he's found his groove.

I only bring this up because many fans have soured on Baker. Yes, he comes off as cocky little prick at times and this season has been ugly, but every QB needs a coach and system they can thrive in. I think Monken's system is ill suited to Baker and Kitchens might be fun to have a beer with but is no head coach.

I thought that the Browns made a mistake making Baker, rather than the running attack, carry the burden of the offense. Why else trade for OBJ rather than solidfying the O-line? The result is that we will finish 8-8 probably, which means that Freddie took over a 7 win team and managed to improve by a half-game and I don't know any fan that has not been tearing their hair out every week watching the inconsistency. I have no hope that Freddie will be any better next year.

But I'm not ready to throw Baker to the wolves given the state of the team.

• Discussion
  • This happens from time to time for a period, but Tannehill will return to suck earlier rather than later. His sample size is beyond large enough to know what he is.

• I agree with your point on OBJ. Look at the Ravens, great OLine, great running game, not really a "stud" receiver on the team, and they are winning. Couldn't we do something similar with Chubb and Hunt if we had a better Oline?

• Probably the best recent example of a quarterback who got to a new level with different coaching is Michael Vick — he was just a different passer under the guidance of Andy Reid that he ever was in Atlanta. And while he didn't change teams, Alex Smith didn't have his first good season until his seventh year in the league (this is Tannehill's 8th season).

I don't think Tannehill will stay this good, but there's a good chance this season isn't a complete fluke either.

• dmasterson said... (original post) I agree with your point on OBJ. Look at the Ravens, great OLine, great running game, not really a "stud" receiver on the team, and the...

They are averaging 5 YPC with this offensive line! No reason we couldn’t do this now. The offensive line needs improvement, but it’s not the season-wrecking abomination many like to think it is. Our HC has that role covered.

• Hiko said... (original post) This happens from time to time for a period, but Tannehill will return to suck earlier rather than later. His sample size is beyond large enough to kn...

What I expect is that if the Titans make the playoffs, Tannehill will play like crap and be completely ineffective.

• Everyonegolong said... (original post) Its amazing how a QB like Tannehill suddenly has a rebirth with the Titans. Funny thing is, he was never a 'bad' QB. Threw twice as many tou...

Good post.
  • Should I start Tannehill or Baker in my FF playoff game?

• forty4five5 said... (original post) Should I start Tannehill or Baker in my FF playoff game?

I started Baker in my playoff game last week. He had half the points that Lamar has in a half.

Go with Tannehill.

• Hiko said... (original post) I started Baker in my playoff game last week. He had half the points that Lamar has in a half.Go with Tannehill.

This looks like a quality entry from your football advice column “Dear Mr. Fantasy”.

• dmasterson said... (original post) I agree with your point on OBJ. Look at the Ravens, great OLine, great running game, not really a "stud" receiver on the team, and the...

Ravens will be the next model franchise. Be prepared to draft 3 TEs each season including one in the first two rounds.

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) This looks like a quality entry from your football advice column “Dear Mr. Fantasy”.

I’d consider that but there’s probably no money or interest in fantasy sports advice.

• Hiko said... (original post) I’d consider that but there’s probably no money or interest in fantasy sports advice.

Welp - I'm toast either way - guy I'm going against has Lamar Jackson starting

Along with McCaffrey, Cook, Carson, and Fournette.
  • forty4five5 said... (original post) Welp - I'm toast either way - guy I'm going against has Lamar Jackson startingAlong with McCaffrey, Cook, Carson, and Fournette.

Yikes! You are indeed toast.

• forty4five5 said... (original post) Should I start Tannehill or Baker in my FF playoff game?

Well that depends. Do you want to play the Freddie Kitchens Trick Em Opposite Day game?

The Cards, albeit a bad defense all around, should be (statistically) attacked through the air rather than the ground game. With Opposite Fred calling the shots, THIS will be the game they run it 40 times. To make the decision cloudier, Houston's pass defense also kind of sucks so. Good luck.

• I've argued with posters on here for years regarding Tannehill and Cousins. Both are good QBs..in the right system. Good post by the OP. An OC that can play to the strengths of his QB is a huge asset. I think it's vastly underrated.

• Hiko said... (original post) This happens from time to time for a period, but Tannehill will return to suck earlier rather than later. His sample size is beyond large enough to kn...

Tannehill has never sucked. Always been an average NFL starter.

The Browns, back in the day, did that with their team for a half-decade. Kosar was very good, but the O ran through Mack/Byner and the WRs and TEs were possession units.

I like that balance. Let's run the O through 27 and 24, and the WRs and TEs make catches as needed. Keep our D off the field and fresh.

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 1 month ago

• PlaysWithSwagger said... (original post) Probably the best recent example of a quarterback who got to a new level with different coaching is Michael Vick — he was just a different ...

Testaverde actually ended his career after starting off as one of the worst in history. He was 29 TD 4 INT in 1998 with the Jets, but started off horribly 11 years earlier with Tampa.

Baker is NOT perfect but at the same time, I think he's good enough as FQB to build around.

They are winning because they have the single most dynamic running QB in the league- which opens up the passing game immensely - did you lose track of that detail?

Yes they are getting it done and the oline is great and a major reason why but dynamic running or passing QB's make it less important that you have great skill guys.

They also have a great stable of RB's to basically run the ball down everyones throat.

• lumberman2 said... (original post) I've argued with posters on here for years regarding Tannehill and Cousins. Both are good QBs..in the right system. Good post by the OP. An ...

Tannehill was always a solid starter. Even took the Dolphins to the playoffs. His problem has been he is always injured.

• Ravens are unstoppable this year. Everyone was geared up to defend a Mahommes passing attack. Harbaugh caught everyone with their pants down. During the offseason I picked up on this and predicted it.

• Dreamdog said... (original post) They are winning because they have the single most dynamic running QB in the league- which opens up the passing game immensely - did you lose trac...

And coaches who know how to game plan, play call and make in game adjustments.

• I don't trust the play caller enough, to include Baker as a No.1 in fantasy

This post was edited by TxNemO 1 month ago

• Tannehill will get paid after this season...Marcus will be on the block !

• bringbackjohnny said... (original post) Tannehill has never sucked. Always been an average NFL starter.

Yeah , Tannehil never sucked, Adam Gase’s offense is retarded. Last night Darnold was hung out to dry on every 3rd down.