Tannehill

Tannehill

Arrow9
  • OpiesGo said... (original post) Tannehill was always a solid starter. Even took the Dolphins to the playoffs. His problem has been he is always injured.

And he sucked.

Not in a Billy Manziel “wow this guy sucks” kind of way.

In a Tim Couch “after 4 yeara man am I sick of this guy pretty much sucking” kind of way.

Because my wife is a Dolphins fan I had to watch WAY too much of that jackwad. Watching the Browns suck and then turning around and watching Tannehill fiddle-fk his way around the field (when he was healthy) is enough to make humans swear off football.

I’ve watched a couple of his games this year and he is playing well, but this is not his norm and I very much expect him to soon come back to earth in much the way the Hindenburg did.

I actually hope I’m wrong - would love to see the Titans take out the Texans or the Pats or the Ravens.

• Hiko said... (original post) And he sucked.Not in a Billy Manziel “wow this guy sucks” kind of way.In a Tim Couch “after 4 yeara man am I sick of this guy pretty much sucking” kin...

The issue with Tannehill was, despite the stats improving over a course of time, the mistakes he made in Year 4 were the same mistakes he made in Year 1.

He never really fixed flaws. He came in at a set level, and maintained it.

Which is worse than a crash and burn, because then you invest way to much time fooling yourself into believing that you see improvement... when what you saw were Coaches doing a hell of a job putting a system around him to protect him from himself.

• Brrexkl said... (original post) The issue with Tannehill was, despite the stats improving over a course of time, the mistakes he made in Year 4 were the same mistakes he made in Y...

Very much agree with all of that.

• Hiko said... (original post) And he sucked.Not in a Billy Manziel “wow this guy sucks” kind of way.In a Tim Couch “after 4 yeara man am I sick of this guy pretty much sucking” kin...

4k Yards, 66%, 27Tds 12 INTs with 300 yards rushing. If you think that sucks I’m sure Baker would hate to hear your opinion on his play this season.

He is not going to light the world on fire but he is a guy you can win with in the NFL if you put a good team around him. If he can stay healthy, which he hasnt been able to. To be a .500 QB under chucklehead Adam Gase is easier said than done, he’s awful.

• OpiesGo said... (original post) 4k Yards, 66%, 27Tds 12 INTs with 300 yards rushing. If you think that sucks I’m sure Baker would hate to hear your opinion on his play this season...

Some Dolphins fans that clung to the idea that Tannehill was going to finally develop into a better-than-Andy-Dalton QB would also quote his stats, followed by everyone else rolling their eyes. You’ve got to show actual improvement over the length of time he was there, not just some better stats and the same garbage results and choking in the clutch. And he was hurt a lot.

Hanging onto QBs like that year after year is why the Bengals stay the Bengals. You can manufacture a playoff run or two, you can manufacture a decent statistical season or two, but you are limiting how far you can go short of having the 2000 Ravens’ D.

And yes if Baker plays for the next 4 years like he has this year then he will, indeed, suck. One season of hardcore meh can be an anomaly, 4 or 5 and that’s probably just who you are.

“Suck”... “chronically subpar”... potato potato.

• Hiko said... (original post) Some Dolphins fans that clung to the idea that Tannehill was going to finally develop into a better-than-Andy-Dalton QB would also quote his stats, fo...

Yeah I agree with that. It is very hard to win a Super Bowl without a Hall of Fame QB or a historically dominant defense. Once a QB proves he isn’t that, its probably best to move on from him.

Hard to explain his play so far this season. He has been fantastic. Could just be a lucky Half season small sample size or he couldv’e been held back by chucklehead Adam Gase in Miami.

This post was edited by OpiesGo 1 month ago

• OpiesGo said... (original post) Yeah I agree with that. It is very hard to win a Super Bowl without a Hall of Fame QB or a historically dominant defense. Once a QB proves he isn’t ...

There was a legitimate debate about what was holding back the Titans offense: LaFleur/Arthur Smith or the play of Mariota.

I think we at least got an answer on that question.

• Charlie Malarkey said... (original post) Ravens are unstoppable this year. Everyone was geared up to defend a Mahommes passing attack. Harbaugh caught everyone with their pants do...

I think teams will go back to the run-first, D model prevalent in the '70s and '80s. I wish the Browns were more physical and not a finesse team.

Look at how well the Steelers are doing. 8-5, with backups everywhere and injuries. I think more teams will do this route, in case their FQB goes down.

Titans have a bellcow back that allows Tannehill to work off of that, plus a great D. Same with Buffalo.

Defenses travel and can carry a so-so team to close wins and a shot at the dance each year.

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 1 month ago

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post) I think teams will go back to the run-first, D model prevalent in the '70s and '80s. I wish the Browns were more physical and no...

The rule changes have swung the pendelum too far in favor of the passing game for football ever to go back to the 70s and 80s style of play.

• OpiesGo said... (original post) Yeah I agree with that. It is very hard to win a Super Bowl without a Hall of Fame QB or a historically dominant defense. Once a QB proves he isn’t ...

Yeah if he keeps it up and plays well into the playoffs I may need to completely reassess my hard-earned disdain for him.

• Hiko said... (original post) Yeah if he keeps it up and plays well into the playoffs I may need to completely reassess my hard-earned disdain for him.

All he needs to do is pull a Dilfer/Brad Johnson/Foles. Or a Heavy Flacco.

• great take!

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) This looks like a quality entry from your football advice column “Dear Mr. Fantasy”.

good take!

• The problem with your Andy Daltons and Ryan Tanehills is you never know what you are going to get on a weekly basis.

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) All he needs to do is pull a Dilfer/Brad Johnson/Foles. Or a Heavy Flacco.

The TEN D isn’t good enough to Dilfer/Johnson him to a SB, but if Foles/Flaccos out (gets incredibly hot in the playoffs) it’ll be the first time he’s done so in a pressure situation.

We’ll know a lot more about the dude after the Houston-New Orleans-Houston stretch they’ve got coming up.

• Brilliant!
  • Anyone who has soured on baker doesn’t know football...... I don’t say that lightly either - they really don’t understand how football works.

This line is atrocious and he’s a shorter pocket qb- this front office did the guy zero favors - they were morons

He’ll be an mvp candidate next year ... make it down

FYI I’m not some big baker fanboy either - I wanted Allen but this kid can ball out and he ain’t the issue

This post was edited by Rookie 1 month ago

• Rookie said... (original post) Anyone who has soured on baker doesn’t know football...... I don’t say that lightly either - they really don’t understand how football works.This li...

You're assuming the front office will do what you recommend. I have no confidence Dorsey will do that. He'll continue to churn JAGs on both lines while focusing on the fun skill positions. It's who he is.

• Charlie Malarkey said... (original post) You're assuming the front office will do what you recommend. I have no confidence Dorsey will do that. He'll continue to churn J...

Yeah he ain’t too bright but I don’t think he can bandaid this - the dumby has come to us with all of our draft capital and money and somehow downgraded the OLine while drafting a FQB

Absolutely zero sense in any of it

• A player the quality of Zeitler is hard to come by, don’t get me wrong. But replacing one good OL is not impossible. For all the hand wringing about the OL, it has lost one good player. And the Corbett pick didn’t work.

For every other complaint, it will take time to find the right players anyway.

• "Dumby" might be my favorite Cooler thing ever.

• Hiko said... (original post) "Dumby" might be my favorite Cooler thing ever.

I’m not sure if the ‘b’ is silent or not.

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) I’m not sure if the ‘b’ is silent or not.

"Dorsey's a dumby, dammit!"

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) A player the quality of Zeitler is hard to come by, don’t get me wrong. But replacing one good OL is not impossible. For all the hand wringing abo...

You are operating as if the line was good and lost one good player... the line was bad last year and was schemed for the last half of the year and it didn’t beat good teams - it got iniahilated by good teams all year

The downgrade from a slightly below average line to a well below average Line was just stupid

• It's all about coaching and OL for QB's. Adam Gase was his coach in Miami, his gameplannig is terrible, but not as bad as Kitchens. Mayfield will make a drastic turnaround too once they get rid of Kitchens.