The MAC has cancelled the fall sports

The MAC has cancelled the fall sports

• Discussion
  • There will be more. Maybe P5 find a way to justify finances because of television deals but could see all Group of Five closing things down his fall.

• DoggyII said... (original post)There will be more. Maybe P5 find a way to justify finances because of television deals but could see all Group of Five closing things down his fall...

With all the P5 conferences going to a conference only schedule, the mid majors, especially the MAC, were destroyed financially. Not having a season keeps the losses to a minimum since there are no $1 million payouts to help with expenses. I am not surprised by this, nor do I blame the schools for taking this step.

This is another brick in the wall that will ultimately have the P5 conferences withdrawing from the NCAA's jurisdiction on football...and possibly other sports.

• Writerdawg said... (original post)With all the P5 conferences going to a conference only schedule, the mid majors, especially the MAC, were destroyed financially. Not having a sea...

My thoughts exactly.

The NCAA will soon be relegated to running niche sports. If not for Title IX, the NCAA would go completey extinct.

Power 5 will be running their own men’s basketball tournament within the next decade.

• BOOOO!

• I love football. I’m gonna miss it, no reason for anyone to play this fall.

• user generated

• JerrySherk said... (original post)I love football. I’m gonna miss it, no reason for anyone to play this fall.

Why is that when every other pro sport is running?

• bringbackjohnny said... (original post)Why is that when every other pro sport is running?

Pretty sure most pro wrestling companies aren't

This post was edited by Dawg4L3309 1 month ago

• Dawg4L3309 said... (original post)Pretty sure most pro wrestling companies aren't

Wwe, Impact, AEW???

• bringbackjohnny said... (original post)Why is that when every other pro sport is running?

Larger squads, larger people who are more susceptible to Covid, more travel, lineman lining up face to face while breathing heavily, no bubble. I don’t think they’re going to pull this off, maybe they shouldn’t even try?

Just my opinion, you’re welcome to yours.

• confused laura dern GIF by EditingAndLayout
  • JerrySherk said... (original post)Larger squads, larger people who are more susceptible to Covid, more travel, lineman lining up face to face while breathing heavily, no bubble. I ...

I don’t know that not even trying is anything more than an overabundance of caution.

But college players aren’t getting paid and don’t have a Player’s Association to represent them.

This post was edited by Ole1Sock 1 month ago

• So cancel like it's no big deal, and pick up where we left off next year right? Why do I have the feeling were risking never going back to regular old football?
    In the mean time many questions will begin to find their way into the discussion and things will change whether you want them to or not. It's more than just covid... its finances and players rights. It's the big boys realizing they may not even need the cancel schools Its people learning to get into something else and never coming back. In my opinion it may weaken them to the point of permanently moving on from football. For some reason there are those out there that have been coming after the game for a long time with arguments about concussions and violence but to me feel like more than that. Hopefully I'm just paranoid but these sports and the impact they have on lives are a big deal, I'd be real weary of opening this door so easily.

• Surprise, it's the money.

I suspect most football revenue for MAC teams comes from the gate. With no gate, it's not worth it.

• AustinTribeFan said... (original post)Surprise, it's the money.I suspect most football revenue for MAC teams comes from the gate. With no gate, it's not worth it.

That and playing P5 schools. With OOC games canceled they can’t go on.

Edit: Writerdawg already made this point up thread.

• At least for now, the other four "group of five" conferences plan to play

• donodawg said... (original post)At least for now, the other four "group of five" conferences plan to play

The really BIG money will give it a try, so will the pros. I hope they make it, just guessing they won’t.

Ohio HS athletic association is proposing a 6 game season and a playoff with every team in. That might be cool even in good times.

• Just saw on a news report that all CFB is cancelled until next year.

• Bobob said... (original post)Just saw on a news report that all CFB is cancelled until next year.

No Wildcats? Lynx or it didn’t happen.

(NCAA doesn’t make that call so I don’t see the logistics at work here)

• Just saw it again on MSNBC (Internet)

• I could care less if there is a CFB season or for that matter a NFL season. I don't make up things. Just stating what I just heard and read. Wasn't there a meeting of the major conferences today????????????? GO BROWN'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!