There Might Be A Silver Lining To The Browns Up And Down Season

There Might Be A Silver Lining To The Browns Up And Down Season

• Discussion
  • So the silver lining is ..... they aren't really that good? They maybe on the verge of being good? I'm not seeing it.

• Just when I think I'm out - they pull me back in".

• TuckyDawg said... (original post) So the silver lining is ..... they aren't really that good? They maybe on the verge of being good? I'm not seeing it.

Expectations were way out of proportion with what should have been expected. A coach learning on the fly and the FQB playing like anything but a FQB is a recipe for struggles. Real question are the coach or the qb able to do their jobs at high level. If not they arent even on the verge of being good.

• user generated

• I've been saying this team is close. Really close.

This isn't the same old Browns since the return.

Honestly, we are a few bad calls by the refs (Seattle), to being a 7-6 team. And if Garrett doesn't temporarily go insane we could even be 8-5.

I don't normally play the woulda, coulda, shoulda game, but compare this team to almost any since the return and it's pretty obvious. We are almost there, really close.

I just don't see an ocean we have to get across anymore. The distance between perennial loser and contender is now Rocky River.

2-3 O-Lineman, a Safety, and some depth. We're talking contender in 2020, even if Baker doesn't progress.

Completely agree with Fred here.

• fillyasc said... (original post) I've been saying this team is close. Really close.This isn't the same old Browns since the return.Honestly, we are a few bad calls by th...

Our offensive braintrust has been terrible. Either Freddie or Todd or BOTH need to go. And definitely Ryan. This has been the most insanely backwards offensive year you can imagine with this collection of talent. 5 wide sets, lack of play action (at times) despite the league's leading (and most consistent) rusher, complete idiocy in the red zone, Rashard Higgins on a milk carton, OBJ and Landry missing the entire preseason, Callaway being Callaway (and then being gone).

It's been a mess. This team should be a .500 team with the level of offensive ineptitude we've seen from the coaching staff. We are just getting by on the skill of the QB, RB, WR2 right now. That's it. Those guys are scoring us points against the best efforts of the idiots in hoodies.

• fillyasc said... (original post) I've been saying this team is close. Really close.This isn't the same old Browns since the return.Honestly, we are a few bad calls by th...

Sadly, you can say this about almost any team in any season that has a similar record to the Browns. And I'd argue the Browns could have beaten Seattle if not for the rank stupidity of their had coach -- who insisted on throwing away an 11 point lead in the final minutes of the first half, because he felt like he should try and score twice. There's no doubt some of the calls this season have hurt the Browns badly, but I'd argue their own coaching misfires have hurt them more.

• Writerdawg said... (original post) Sadly, you can say this about almost any team in any season that has a similar record to the Browns. And I'd argue the Browns could have be...

Nothing you will say will change the fact that this team is close IMO. We’re talking 1 offseason. And I’m sorry, but I would say 18 of the last 20 years we couldn’t have a reasonable discussion about making the playoffs the following season.

A change of the head coach or not can be debated, but we are close nonetheless.

• TomServo said... (original post) Our offensive braintrust has been terrible. Either Freddie or Todd or BOTH need to go. And definitely Ryan. This has been the most insanely backwa...

So you agree?

• I wouldn't go that far. I don't think we're close at all with this coaching staff. They simply haven't shown any ability to utilize their talent. We should be as bad as we have been, but we have the talent to be much better. If Mike Shanahan is coaching this team the Ravens game is for the division title, and the entire league is talking about Nick Chubb as the best back in the league (no disrepect to the couple of other contenders for that title).

And having an offensive coaching staff this bad is straining the relationships of our players, the media, etc. If we go in and don't blow it in the red zone 70% of the time, we're one of the NFL's darlings. So the only way you can think they're close is if you think they're learning from the mistakes. I haven't seen evidence of that. We beat the 1-win Bungles. We should have. A week before that we got outcoached (definitively) by Mike Tomlin. That should have been a win, too. It wasn't. Close is winning that game on the road, and righting the ship, not blowing it.

Freddie's been a gigantic, titanic disappointment. I still hold that Todd and Ryan should be gone, though. They've been worse, if that's possible.

• TomServo said... (original post) I wouldn't go that far. I don't think we're close at all with this coaching staff. They simply haven't shown any ability to ut...

So in your mind a new head coach and coaching staff and we're a contender.

So YES, you agree.

• In terms of player talent, the team is "close". If they can retain what they have, upgrade the OL and Safety positions, we should be able to compete with almost anyone.
    In terms of coaching talent (and leadership) we fall short. Freddie/ Monkens and Wilkes are not the type of coaching talent that you can reach the top with. Period.

• McCarthy and another offseason for Dorsey to complete the roster and we should be where we need to be next year.

Bakers development has been stunted by this group, and Freddie isnt the locker room force we require.

Get a staff whos been there, whos developed young QBs, and who doesnt let the inmates run the asylum. I believe this group of kids is finally at the point where they actually crave exactly that.

Their immature way has failed and they know it.

• marktroy said... (original post) McCarthy and another offseason for Dorsey to complete the roster and we should be where we need to be next year. Bakers development has been stunt...

Agree with this.

• Me as well.

• marktroy said... (original post) McCarthy and another offseason for Dorsey to complete the roster and we should be where we need to be next year. Bakers development has been stunt...

Love to see this happen. However, it's on Haslam to pull the trigger. He gave us 2 and a half years of Hue. He may be happy with 7 - 9.

• mikenn5 said... (original post) Love to see this happen. However, it's on Haslam to pull the trigger. He gave us 2 and a half years of Hue. He may be happy with 7 - 9.

He aint payin an analytics dude $10 mil per year cause he wants to go 7-9.

This post was edited by marktroy 1 month ago

• TomServo said... (original post) I wouldn't go that far. I don't think we're close at all with this coaching staff. They simply haven't shown any ability to ut...

Servo, I like your takes but the constant downgrading the staff is getting old. Unlike many, some of us realize that from our seats we really don't know what's going on. We can only make assumptions based on what we read, see and are fed.

I agree we've seen some boneheaded decisions, challenge flags, etc....but the reality of what's going on in that locker room eludes even the most tuned in reporters and the like.

Unrealistic expectations were what busted the bubble. We were all riding on a high wave going into the season and now it's 6-7 after a bunch of crap on and off the field.

Many blame the staff for the actions of Garrett, Whitehead, Mayfield, OBJ, Landry and the rest.

I don't. I blame the players.

They aren't college or high school kids anymore and have to know what and what not to do/say.

When you add up even just one player, Garrett's, actions you can't reasonably argue the staff could prevent that.

1st game, 2 PF's...punching an opposing player....no wonder they booted him when he swung the helmet. There was a solid body of evidence this guy doesn't think first and thinks more of himself than the team.

Don't get boiled up as I agree that what Rudolph did would have gotten 65 year old me riled up as well.

Most of us here have played on teams in the pase. And we all know that no matter how disciplined-oriented the coaching staff is, there are guys who could give a crap. They're gonna do what they want to do and that's that. It's about them.

We've won 4 of the last 5 and if we somehow go even 2-1 in the last 3 we've improved upon last year.

Dorsey knew we didn't have what it takes, even after getting OBJ, and weakening the interior of the O line and losing an up and coming SS.

Until we get some undisputed knowledge of what's happening on the team, it's a guess.

I think we're closer than we've been in a long time, even IF Beckham leaves.

We could add the 2-3 OL, the safety, and the depth you think of and still, I see a team that is more talented than their coaches. So if we raise the talent level we might win a couple more games, in spite of what the coaches are doing?

Sad.

• JerrySherk said... (original post) We could add the 2-3 OL, the safety, and the depth you think of and still, I see a team that is more talented than their coaches. So if we raise ...

Winning a few more games is always the goal correct? Especially when a few more would equal a playoff berth.

How we finally cross that bridge into contention can be debated. My point is that we are close. A coaching change and/or some personnel changes, and we’re talking about a true contender.

That is, as long as Baker progresses. Because here’s the thing… If we do sign those lineman and a safety, and we do hire Mike McCarthy, it will only be just good enough to make the playoffs, not really win anything. Baker has to get better.

• Two WR's over 800 yards for the first time in forever and a RB who leads the league, yep offense it trash, come on at least try with your 92.3 hottake.

• LumpyCotton said... (original post) Servo, I like your takes but the constant downgrading the staff is getting old. Unlike many, some of us realize that from our seats we really d...

You said “we’re closer, even if Beckham leaves”

Beckham, if he’s not wearing an orange helmet next year isn’t “leaving”. If he’s gone there better be a bushel basket full of talent and picks to replace him.

McCarthy, whose inmate ran him right out of Green Bay? Good to know.

The game passed him by.and GB is better with a young inexperienced coach then him. Tells you what you need there.

Dorsey needs to get this offseason right. His hands are all over this broken cookie jar of a year more than the coaches.

• fillyasc said... (original post) Winning a few more games is always the goal correct? Especially when a few more would equal a playoff berth. How we finally cross that bridge into ...

Yes, winning a few more games is always the goal, unless you see winning it all as the goal ?

I’m fine with a few more games, that’s how you get to the big one, but if we see growth and upgrading on the field I’d like to see it on the sideline also. Not saying a wholesale house cleaning but growth and/or upgrades all around.

• LumpyCotton said... (original post) Servo, I like your takes but the constant downgrading the staff is getting old. Unlike many, some of us realize that from our seats we really d...

The reality is that it's the coaching staff's job to mold the players into the best that they can be.

I think it goes without saying that this year has *not* been the best that these players can be. And I'm not trashing Wilkes, because I think he's delivered some solid results from a revolving door at every defensive position. A month without 3/4 of the starting defensive backfield, losing the defensive MVP and having to replace 3/4 of the defensive line following the helmet incident, losing Kirko and getting Mack ready to go every week. Our defense has not been amazing, but it's been capable of making big stops and frustrating opponents without anywhere near the talent the offense has had. The offense has had Chubb, Landry, OBJ, Tretter, Bitonio, and Baker for basically the entire season. That's four Pro Bowl level premiere players who should be able to deliver consistent offensive performance... yet somehow it's been a minefield.

I gave Kitchens plenty of rope. I rooted for him. Monken I don't get, and I never have. I maintain that he's never been good at his job anywhere, and that he was not developing those players in Tampa any better than he is here. They were 18th/12th/12th in offense in Tampa. Basically same personnel this year... better record, 3rd in the league in offense. They got better by removing Monken. We got worse. While there are plenty of other factors, that seems kind of hard to completely ignore. And Baker isn't getting the level of QB coaching he needs, clearly.

I want the team to win, and be competitive, and develop these guys. If you honestly think we wouldn't have been a much better team with a veteran coach who knows what they're doing, we simply disagree.