There Might Be A Silver Lining To The Browns Up And Down Season

There Might Be A Silver Lining To The Browns Up And Down Season

• I would think that Dorsey and Kitchens would review every offensive play from the season sometime in January. In that review there will be serious critique of Freddie's decisionmaking. If Freddie doesn't appear to have learned anything from his failures, then unfortunately for him, he will no longer be the coach of this team. He was the weak link this season - cost us 2 games (SEA & DEN) in my opinion. Maybe more considering he could've also made the smart decision and pulled some guys from the lineup vs. Pitt in the home game. However, hubris can affect us all. If Freddie can fix that and commit to being a team first coach (not just demanding team first players) then he might be salvageable, but absent a contrite response from him, I'm afraid he probably should go.

This post was edited by SAMINC 1 month ago

• SAMINC said... (original post) I would think that Dorsey and Kitchens would review every offensive play from the season sometime in January. In that review there will be serious c...

That's right. Silver lining = Freddie Kitchens. Now the question is can HE improve? Tough decision. He can learn from mistakes, but we would have hoped that he could have learned that earlier in the season. We saw in the last game him finally leaning more on the running game. Damn, why so late in the season to figure this out? That said, I would hope Dorsey can figure it out if he can improve next year or is a lost cause. Everyone here should realize that a first year head coach will have some growing pains. We all would hate to get rid of a Potential coaching gem. And we all would hate to keep a Potential lost and arrogant loser of a coach. I'll be honest, I don't know what we have, because this is his first year. It really is a sucky scenario.

• glousterbrown said... (original post) The offense was installed by Freddie.

Any proof of this? I can post a youtube video of Monken in OTAs talking about installing HIS offense.

Hell, I dont know why they just didnt keep doing what they were doing last year and add a few wrinkles. Too easy.

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) Not lost on me was how good Lamm looked last week. It now seems unfortunate he was hurt all season. His presence seemed to make Teller look better ...

I don't know Sock. I saw Lamm getting pushed back into the backfield on more than on occasion on running plays.

• LumpyCotton said... (original post) I don't know Sock. I saw Lamm getting pushed back into the backfield on more than on occasion on running plays.

Run blocking seemed fine in the second half.

Also, Dunlap is tough.

This post was edited by Ole1Sock 1 month ago

• Ole1Sock said... (original post) Not lost on me was how good Lamm looked last week. It now seems unfortunate he was hurt all season. His presence seemed to make Teller look better ...

Hard to tell. The Bungles have some good pieces up front but not a dominate front so it's only natural to believe that our OL should fare well against these fronts. The glaring weakness shines brightest when we face those much tuffer fronts. 49ers, Stoolers, etc. We need absolute great game planning and playcalling against those types to neutralize them and we often come up short. Need to see more against better fronts but the OL played well. Bungs are last against the rush so I expected the OL to run block much better. We didn't see much defensive push and penetration against our OL in this game. They won the physical battle this time.

• BrownsTown said... (original post) Any proof of this? I can post a youtube video of Monken in OTAs talking about installing HIS offense. Hell, I dont know why they just didnt keep ...

Dorsey changed the roster, possibly to suit Kitchen and Monkens plans, maybe to suit what he thought the team should be.

No TEs that could block a little, no H-Back, no FB, an OL that couldn’t runblock to save their souls. Five wides, vertical O, whoops, Baker getting killed.

This post was edited by JerrySherk 1 month ago

• Agree with much of this assessment but I just dont think Freddie is HC material. From play calling to designating responsibilities to wearing shirts.. He makes some ridiculous choices.

• JerrySherk said... (original post) Dorsey changed the roster, possibly to suit Kitchen and Monkens plans, maybe to suit what he thought the team should be.No TEs that could block ...

LOL. Dorsey didn't dump all the TE/FB types to spite the coaching staff. If they told him they needed a FB, he would have gotten them a FB.

• The Silver Lining?

Members have views, is the glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty.

The Cleveland Browns have not delivered to the expectations of the optimistic members/fans. This has caused a great amount of disappointment.

There has been a great number of draft picks, as well as veteran players acquired by trade and free agency, as well as UDFAs. All players acquired are not going to deliver to the expectations desired.

There are three games to go and a measurement will be made what areas have improved and what areas will still need attention.

The silver lining will be the players on the 2018 roster that have continued to develop. Some players like Chad Thomas, DE, has made a major step in the right direction. The commentary on Sheldrick and Burris, provide a possibility of either starters at safety next year or quality backups.

Sometimes it takes a veteran player a year to adjust to a new team.

The coaching staff will be evaluated and some changes might be made.

There were so many changes in 2019, the expectations were probably unrealistic.

The final hope is that the Cleveland Browns are one more year of with their players experiences and will be better prepared in 2020 to compete in the AFC North.

There have been some nice wins in 2019 and some very disappointing losses.

• I really wonder what the season would have looked like if we played the second 8 games first. Confidence can be contagious,

• 2 more wins and the Browns improve their record from last season.

I know that would only be by 1/2 game but still......

and it's likely that happens.

• clippercity said... (original post) 2 more wins and the Browns improve their record from last season. I know that would only be by 1/2 game but still......and it's likely tha...

With the talent they added this season, the improvement should be more than 1/2 games.

• TomServo said... (original post) LOL. Dorsey didn't dump all the TE/FB types to spite the coaching staff. If they told him they needed a FB, he would have gotten them a FB.

I said “possibly to suit Kitchens and Monken”, not to spite them. Whoever designed this crap ( and I think it was Dorsey, he has control of the 53) it’s got some obvious holes.

Trading Hyde was done out of spite, forcing the coaches hand. He was right but it was almost the same as Farmer texting the sideline, in fact it was worse in some ways.

• DarNoor said... (original post) With the talent they added this season, the improvement should be more than 1/2 games.

And I guess the reality of 1 1/2 games doesn't please you?

• clippercity said... (original post) 2 more wins and the Browns improve their record from last season. I know that would only be by 1/2 game but still......and it's likely tha...

If the Browns beat Arizona Sunday. I only see this season ending one way. Loss to Baltimore of course. Then a close loss to the one win Bengals. Browns don’t get their only non .500 season of the decade and Bengals lose the number one pick.

• JerrySherk said... (original post) I said “possibly to suit Kitchens and Monken”, not to spite them. Whoever designed this crap ( and I think it was Dorsey, he has control of the ...

Trading Hyde was brilliant. All told, John Dorsey spent a second rounder to draft one of the best backs in the league, then dumped his lessers for a 5th and a 3rd.

I didn't understand the trade at the time, from a depth perspective, but our RB room is the best its been in our lifetime. Nothing spiteful about being right.

• TomServo said... (original post) Trading Hyde was brilliant. All told, John Dorsey spent a second rounder to draft one of the best backs in the league, then dumped his lessers for ...

Agreed.

It reminds me of Mack and Byner.

Of Brown and the Express!!

• TomServo said... (original post) Trading Hyde was brilliant. All told, John Dorsey spent a second rounder to draft one of the best backs in the league, then dumped his lessers for ...

Yes, trading Hyde worked out but that’s not my point. By trading Hyde he forced them to play a different player, he shaped the roster in such a way that the HC had no choice but to make a change on the field. It was more decisive than Farmer texting to play Johnny.

Same thing when he cut/released Fells, Charles, Vitale. I don’t know if Fred/Monken were really in support of that or not but I suspect they at least “signed on” to it.

• Ament said... (original post) If the Browns beat Arizona Sunday. I only see this season ending one way. Loss to Baltimore of course. Then a close loss to the one win Bengals. Brow...

Wow. That would be the most Browns-ish and Bengals-ish end to an NFL season -- ever.

• JerrySherk said... (original post) Yes, trading Hyde worked out but that’s not my point. By trading Hyde he forced them to play a different player, he shaped the roster in such a ...

I didn't get the Hyde trade because it hurt our depth badly, and in my opinion it's the job of the GM to build that depth. But yeah, you're right, he said "Dude B is clearly a much better player than Dude A and he needs to be on the field, so I'm going to make sure that happens." But in doing that, he gave Hyde opportunities and got us a draft pick. He didn't just go scream at the coaches to start Chubb and leave an angry Hyde in the clubhouse to fester. And then almost immediately EVERYONE knew that was the right call. There's a reason he has the power to make those decisions, and he's earned the credibility.

The only reason I didn't get it is because Chubb's injury history suggested it made sense to have a reliable back ready to go. Knock on wood his injuries are all HISTORY at this point. :)

• Please do not fire Kitchens. To the Haslams from a lifetime Crew supporters, you told the Browns fans you wanted an organization like the Steelers and one of the reasons you said that had to do with the loyalty the Steelers show their coaches.

• TomServo said... (original post) I didn't get the Hyde trade because it hurt our depth badly, and in my opinion it's the job of the GM to build that depth. But yeah, you...

Playing Chubb was the right call but trading Hyde was not the right way to get it done. It was Dorsey mandating from the FO who was on the field on Sunday. That shouldn’t happen.

• Dayton Dawg said... (original post) I really wonder what the season would have looked like if we played the second 8 games first. Confidence can be contagious,

Yeah NFL did us no favors on the front end of the season. Still, we blew a couple games that we should have had. 1 or 2 more wins right now would of made a big difference in our chances to get in and in public perception of this team. Now everything has to align perfectly and we’re considered a disappointment in the eyes of most - which we are. With our OLine being the way it was at the start of this year, all the new and shinny moving parts (coaches, systems and players) and Baker just being a little off at the start of the season, 8-8 is about right.