Which Browns Players are worth keeping in 2020?

Which Browns Players are worth keeping in 2020?

Arrow6
  • Discussion
  • This is a very good article.

I recommend a follow-up article be done at the end of the season.

There are three games left. Some backup players are now getting an opportunity to play. Their opportunity could be because of players who were starting or primary backups got hurt, got cut or demoted. Some players could have practiced and excelled in competition to other players and got their opportunity.

I would like to see an updated report at the end of the season, which players that are probably low paid players who have shown or flashed as players that need continual development to provide meaningful players for the 2020 season.

The Browns have gone through many seasons where players were discarded because players did not meet or match the requirements of a new set of coaches and schemes.

There needs to be some point in the current history of the Cleveland Browns when the consistency and continuity of the Cleveland Browns roster is maintained and developed.

I don't remember the exact number of years, but Pittsburgh and Baltimore the major AFC North competition to the Cleveland Browns have head coaches that are 13 and 12 years. There has been major consistency and continuity of their GMs or the next GM to follow the system of the previous GM, such as Baltimore moving from Ozzie Newsome.

John Dorsey has consistently brought more players to get evaluations and get added to the roster. All players added don't excel or work out, but some do. This is how the NFL works. If the front office of teams finding players are better than other teams, the team has a chance to excel. The current hope is that the Cleveland Browns are currently moving forward.

This post was edited by 80sBoy 1 month ago

• Jake- this is an excellent article! I think you are spot on across the board. Since I believe Kareem Hunt is a RFA, do you expect a 1st round tender on him or a contract extension? I also expect Kirksey to be gonzo due to his contract. Again, a well thought out, outstanding article!

• Thank you for a very well thought out article It's nice to read about FOOTBALL for a change.

First, disagree on CB Ward... he is High Quality by your standard, but credit you for saying your opinion might be a stretch. He's not living up to his #4 overall draft slot. Top 12-15, yes, but not #4. People defend him by calling him a "Pro-bowler", but he is by technicality... he was a replacement designate when the voted pro-bowl players backed out for whatever reason. Since the game is no longer affording the players a free Hawaii vacation, many more decide not to participate. All-Pro is the big measure, not whether you participate in a flag-football level exhibition game.

You have only 12 players on offense, 17 on defense, and 3 special teamers that are at minimum roster worthy. That means we're carrying a whopping 16 players on offense and 11 on defense who basically don't matter if they're here or not. Nearly half the 53 man roster aren't worthy of keeping. That's poor roster depth. Of course we have too many poor "starters" too.

Thanks again for the effort and for giving us something football to talk about.

• To piggy back on Buzz, we have 5 elite players if you count Ward. What are the thoughts on how many elite level players we need to 1) win division when compared to the number of elite players that Baltimore and Pittsburgh have 2) WIN playoff games. My thinking is we are 2-3 elite players away from accomplishing these goals. Ideally, you develop them from our current roster (drafted players) as most teams will not release elite level talent.

Also, I think this shows how bad the roster was before Dorsey came aboard. As Buzz points out, we still have a ways to go.

• onebeforeidie said... (original post) To piggy back on Buzz, we have 5 elite players if you count Ward. What are the thoughts on how many elite level players we need to 1) win div...

Would be interesting to break it down for Ravens at the least since they're the class of the division. In terms of ELITE, think Lamar, Andrews, Stanley on offense. Defense...Peters is ELITE, and then man, just at on of high quality players. Don't even think it's the elite you want, but you want more high quality everywhere rather than just a few positions the Browns have. Also note how Ravens talent are mostly in years 3 and onward with the exception of Andrews and Lamar. Takes some time to see this through and shows just how much garbage Farmer and Sashinator brought in for the Browns. 2014-2017 brought us all of Schobert, Bitonio, Landry and Tretter.

• Great piece. Thanks. I expect a fair amount of roster turnover this offseason. Higgins, Randall, Beckham, Robinson, and others are probably playing elsewhere next year in my opinion. And there will be several others who won't be kept, particularly at safety and o-line. And perhaps there will be even more beyond that if a new coaching staff comes on board.

• Cross-post to Cooler

• Great article. I’d put a higher grade on Seibert and Gillian. They’ve proven everything Greedy Williams has, maybe slightly less critical positions, but I’m sure Patriots would take both in a heartbeat.

Go Browns.... Go Bison....

• fargodawg_Scout said... (original post) Great article. I’d put a higher grade on Seibert and Gillian. They’ve proven everything Greedy Williams has, maybe slightly less critical p...

Agree with this. When Seibert hit the 53 yarder (?) it showed he has the leg to make those longer kicks. Now he just needs to do it consistently. But I have no complaints with either he or Gillian. I think that part of the roster is set for a long time.

• I liked the article.Over all fair,based on this season.The 2 I have exception to are Njoku and Mitchell.Njoku continues to not put it together,instead actually being a liability.Everyone is enamored with his athletic ability,but he has done nothing to show more than worthy of being on a roster.Terrance Mitchell,on the other hand,has been lights out when called upon,and has played better than Ward or Williams.He is a high quality CB.

• I’d keep Stephen Carlson over Njoku.

• craigpowell said... (original post) I’d keep Stephen Carlson over Njoku.

Fortunately I don’t think Carlson’s contract would keep us from keeping Njoku.

• Writerdawg said... (original post) Agree with this. When Seibert hit the 53 yarder (?) it showed he has the leg to make those longer kicks. Now he just needs to do it consistently...

Yep. The Priefer-Hughlett-Seibert-Gillan ST Corps has been solid.

• To read this post and more, subscribe now - One Month for Only $1

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join

Join

Join
  • It's a shame how Higgins was handled this year. Based on 2018, the Roster-worthy grade is very fair, IMO. But we hardly saw him in 2019. My guess what's been amiss is a good part him having a hard time respecting Freddo. Kitchens pampered Landry and OBJ during preseason but trotted Higgins out there for what seemed like every single snap. The season comes and Freddo makes Higgins sit behind Ratley and Hodge while the offense struggles to even look competent.

Join

Join

Join

Join

Join

Join